• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Adimice

Adimice

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNatural Bridge Va

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:17 AM

I've already tried LA 200, Draxxin, Exceed,and Nuflor. It's going on 2 months and the steer is still poor. I've got it isolated, feeding grain with molasses and my best hay. It's still coughing but not as much. Do you think there's any benefit in trying anything else.

#2 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:14 AM

If it’s been 2 months it’s most likely damaged lungs, although you could try Terra crumbles aureomycin but doubt that will help at this point.

#3 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1814 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 22 December 2020 - 11:22 PM

Shoot it and move on.  I agree the lungs are done for.  

• siscofarms likes this

#4 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1485 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 23 December 2020 - 02:33 AM

Without seeing your animal and limited information I couldn’t tell you what to do. I can tell you from my experience it is survivable if from the start you keep it warm and dry while treating with a continuous series of shots without breaks, otherwise you’re wasting your time. Banamine, Baytril, Draxxin, and Nuflor are what I use. It usually takes a combination of two to get results so discuss with your vet.

The steer’s lungs are damaged so coughing is normal. If it is not running a fever and has a good appetite all you can do is keep it dry and watch. A pain reliever approved by your vet can help keep him stabilized. If possible minimize dust in feed and provide clean water. With cooler temps, warming the water up will help increase intake to help his body recover.

There comes a point when it’s not cost effective to save the animal and that’s the cruel fact of life.
  • endrow and U Lazy V Ranch like this

#5 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8649 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 23 December 2020 - 05:33 AM

And then if you do get it a little better and get some weight on it next summer it will tip over because of the damaged lungs

• carcajou and endrow like this

#6 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:33 AM

Shoot it and move on.  I agree the lungs are done for.  

You have to watch so close and be so early with treatment if you wait  Pap always said once there huffing it to late 

#7 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:52 AM

I've already tried LA 200, Draxxin, Exceed,and Nuflor. It's going on 2 months and the steer is still poor. I've got it isolated, feeding grain with molasses and my best hay. It's still coughing but not as much. Do you think there's any benefit in trying anything else.

You have done all you can dont let it suffer .. Would add I have visited your area and it is very nice to see all those black  cattle on the hills . Got a SIL that moved up from Buena Vista and Married my daughter. His parents have now moved to Natural Bridge. I have been there and seen the Natural bridge . 

#8 Swv.farmer

Swv.farmer

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Virginia lee county

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:01 PM

Micotill at the first ear drop you got it covered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors