Sluggish Hay Sales? - Page 2 - Market Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Sluggish Hay Sales?

hay bales sales sluggish alfalfa market economy virus

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 15 December 2020 - 09:42 PM

Locally is up to 400$US a ton for horse hay.  People are getting desperate.  Normally struggle to get 120 USD a ton.

Wanna be a hay dealer?   I have lots of 3x4's  that can come your way if i can get sea cans....

• somedevildawg likes this

#22 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15648 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 16 December 2020 - 05:29 AM

It is good to hear of folks getting a great price for their hay crop. It happens here every now and then when we have a early persistent drought. I usually don't raise my price much in those instances for my regulars as I want to keep them for the bountiful crop years also. But I don't mind others profiting as I use them to remind my regulars that working together on a regular basis is a two way street. 

Regards, Mike

• Shetland Sheepdog, RockyHill, 8350HiTech and 4 others like this

#23 Uphayman

Uphayman

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 16 December 2020 - 06:50 AM

We've been moving a huge amount of rounds and squares. Getting between $140-170/ ton. Recently finished hauling an order (66 ton) , to remote area. Directions would be: when you hit "no mans land", it's another 30 miles.........always makes you nervous.......No Service......and your in the middle of nothing.
  • swmnhay and Vol like this

#24 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1977 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:17 AM

Sales not sluggish here. All sold out of squares and 4x4 rounds. Have couple 4x5  and fair amount of baleage left.

A recent local death has brought on new customers as they try to fill their hay needs. Last month we got one of them and purchased every last bale of 1st and 2nd cutting.

My cousin bought my last 70 bales of 4x4's for putting into his dairy rations. That was new.

Next year is going to be interesting with how this year ending. 

• PaMike and mstuck21 like this

#25 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5574 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:51 AM

If my day job wasn't so busy I'd look into it.  Friend is taking his tractor trailer to get a load of second cut.

Because of the dry year last year folks were in a scramble this summer and I pre-sold all my hay.  Sucks now, I'm out delivering loads getting paid 1/2 what others are getting.  They will pour that money into barns and fertilizer next year and I suspect we will have a normal year with big crop and my regulars I "helped" by holding prices will not stick with me when these guys need to empty their barns.

Wanna be a hay dealer?   I have lots of 3x4's  that can come your way if i can get sea cans....

#26 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5574 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 16 December 2020 - 07:54 AM

Yeah I was at 5$ a bale delivered up to 20 km away.  Folks complaining about the price earlier in summer, then see them posting on local hay groups agreeing to buy hay for 12$ a bale that they have to go pick up off a semi near the highway.

Yup hay in Ontario is expensive too in many areas. No leftover inventory from the year past. No rain in many areas for 2nd cut. First was really good and 3rd too. I’ve had people calling me for first cut and I’ve called for guys I know and have bought from and they are completely sold out! I sold my hay loaded on wagons in the field for 7-7.50$ and was happy. Don’t have to touch it twice. These guys were selling out of the barn for 8-9 $ bale. One buddy advertised on Kijiji 200$ a bundle of 21’s . I said your crazy never happen. Gone in 30 days 1500 bales. Oh well .

• Onthayman likes this

#27 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 16 December 2020 - 08:34 AM

We've been moving a huge amount of rounds and squares. Getting between $140-170/ ton. Recently finished hauling an order (66 ton) , to remote area. Directions would be: when you hit "no mans land", it's another 30 miles.........always makes you nervous.......No Service......and your in the middle of nothing.

Up at least you must be deemed “essential” or surely the power that be would have you burned and staked. Can’t believe they would let y’all spread Covid all over the UP.....disgusting :o
  • r82230 likes this

#28 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4305 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 23 December 2020 - 04:54 PM

Hay is down a bit from last year ,but if it was in that price range $140-170. I could sell that hay day and night ,all day long $170 in big squares .There is nothing wrong with selling at tyhat price either if you make money  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay, bales, sales, sluggish, alfalfa, market, economy, virus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors