9 replies to this topic

#1 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:57 AM

I need some help on what 4G Game/Security Camera to buy. I have a bale feeder half a mile out the farm lane. Its a pain to walk out in the cold and dark to check on it and see if it needs refilled. I would like to install a 4G camera so I can monitor it anytime I want. WIFI is not available. It looks like if I buy a camera I need some sort of data plan in addition to my current smart phone plan.  I would want to keep the plan for Dec-March and cancell it at other times. Also, I dont need motion activated pictures. I just want to log in, see it in real time. That's it.  I have seen Riolink and Spartan. What's a simple easy to use setup to get? Prefer more cost upfront and less monthly fee if possible.

Thanks!

• RockmartGA likes this

#2 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1210 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 07 December 2020 - 01:16 PM

I'm interested in this topic as well.  Been looking at solar powered, cell data and/or LTE network cameras.  They can get pricey very quickly.

#3 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 07 December 2020 - 06:22 PM

A friend of mine has one I think the brand is hog eye cameras. He got it through one of those NRCS Grant's to get rid of wild hogs when he isn't trapping he uses the camera for lots of other stuff. Works great streams live to your cell phone

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 07 December 2020 - 08:02 PM

I have Arlo cameras with solar chargers, they are connected via Verizon. They work well....kinda pricey for what you’re using it for, but it is completely portable.

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:25 PM

1/2 a mile, hmmm is it a clear line of site?  If so WIFI, is definitely a possibly.   Then you could just have solar powered camera.  I have Arystone system, get WIFI well over 1/2  mile.  I think Uninex is another system. 

If not a direct line of sight, might need a repeater in the middle.  Which would cut your speed in half, but would necessarily be a problem.  

I'm thinking of the future, where you can set in your easy chair, giving your autonomous tractor directions, via WIFI too.  :cool:

Larry

#6 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:50 PM

I have a barn owl camera on my turkey barns. It is 4G, cost $8 per month for 24/7 monitoring plus data charges which amounts to another $3 per month for about 300 pictures. Mine is setup for motion detection pictures but you can cue the camera to take a real time photo from your phone for $0.03 each time. Camera is $375 plus a little extra for solar panel. Can also be turned on and off from phone and if you only need a pic here and there, you would not need camera on 24/7 so $8 per month would be prorated for time camera is actually on. Barnowl.com

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15648 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 08 December 2020 - 06:23 AM

Some of the cameras will offer plans that will tie into your phone plan for $4-5 per month and will allow you to suspend....then pick back up next feed season. Let me research as I have never used one as an occasional monitor. I know that with many you can trip the camera manually with your phone or laptop to test your system. I think that is the route you need. I doubt that you will need a solar charger as a set of high tech AA batteries and a low number of pics will last probably your entire monitoring time. 

Regards, Mike

#8 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 08 December 2020 - 08:11 AM

I have a barn owl camera on my turkey barns. It is 4G, cost $8 per month for 24/7 monitoring plus data charges which amounts to another $3 per month for about 300 pictures. Mine is setup for motion detection pictures but you can cue the camera to take a real time photo from your phone for $0.03 each time. Camera is $375 plus a little extra for solar panel. Can also be turned on and off from phone and if you only need a pic here and there, you would not need camera on 24/7 so $8 per month would be prorated for time camera is actually on. Barnowl.com

Do you pay the $8/month through barn owl? Or do you pay that through your cell provider? Thats where I get confused.

#9 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1213 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 11 December 2020 - 07:17 PM

I wonder how much a basic drone would cost?  :huh: 

#10 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2182 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 11 December 2020 - 09:09 PM

Do you pay the $8/month through barn owl? Or do you pay that through your cell provider? Thats where I get confused.

Bare owl. Independent of cell phone provider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors