14 replies to this topic

#1 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15579 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 05 December 2020 - 05:37 AM

Off the top of your head, who owns Dewalt?  Nope, the tool giant company Stanley/Black&Decker owns DeWalt. I ran across this informative article that I thought was an interesting short read. 

Regards, Mike

https://pressurewash...stry-behemoths/

• somedevildawg, stack em up, NebTrac and 2 others like this

#2 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:00 AM

I've been hearing the quality of DeWalt has been dropping lately.  Anybody know this for a fact?  Last thing I bought from them was a grinder around 10 years ago.

• Vol and Trillium Farm like this

#3 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10983 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 05 December 2020 - 08:24 AM

I thought practically everyone knew Stanley-Black & Decker owned DeWalt??  :D

• 8350HiTech, Trillium Farm, BWfarms and 1 other like this

#4 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15579 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 05 December 2020 - 11:36 AM

I've been hearing the quality of DeWalt has been dropping lately.  Anybody know this for a fact?  Last thing I bought from them was a grinder around 10 years ago.

Probably about like Milwaukee who has slipped a little since leaving Wisconsin several years ago. But after this summers Kenosha, they may have had business intuition on their decision making. 

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg and Ox76 like this

#5 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 05 December 2020 - 01:36 PM

Yep we got a Lowes 1.5 miles away and have been switching over to Kobalt tools . The power tools are as good as any  and price is real good . We have mostly Kobalt wrenches and sockets on the service truck I think much better quality than newer craftsman . We have a business account at Lowes get 5% off every thing . I have a My Lowes card as well , I break a hand tool i can walk out the door with a new one in no time .    

• Bob M likes this

#6 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 05 December 2020 - 02:51 PM

Yep we got a Lowes 1.5 miles away and have been switching over to Kobalt tools . The power tools are as good as any  and price is real good . We have mostly Kobalt wrenches and sockets on the service truck I think much better quality than newer craftsman . We have a business account at Lowes get 5% off every thing . I have a My Lowes card as well , I break a hand tool i can walk out the door with a new one in no time .    

20 years ago the Craftsman power tools went to crap, at least their cordless tools.  I had a Craftsman Professional Cordless drill, within a month it quit working.  In order to get it work I had to tap the side of the drill with my hammer.  I took it back to Sears and got my money back, and bought a Dewalt.  Of course we wore that drill out.  Anymore I prefer the Makita tools, they seem to be pretty good.  

• HayMike, somedevildawg and Trillium Farm like this

#7 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10983 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:56 PM

Mine have been excellent. Best I ever owned. Went over to the 60v Max last year. 
Bought the worm drive 7&1/2” circular saw, the chain saw, the mini grinder, 2 grease guns, the framing nailer and a few others. 

• Ox76 likes this

#8 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3032 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:14 PM

I guess I kinda forgot about that Stanley owned Dewalt, I remember when Stanley bought our Mac Tools. Quality stayed the same and the price actually went down a touch! I’m fairly certain I single handed lay made the Mac salesman’s mortgage payment.

I’ve been more than happy with quality of Dewalt. Looking for a 10” table saw and planned on getting Dewalt but has anyone tried the Milwaukee 10”?

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:32 PM

Nope, but my DeWalt is ok, not great....but ok.
  • Ox76 likes this

#10 CowboyRam

CowboyRam

An ounce of doing is worth a pound of talk

• Members
  • 1075 posts
  • LocationRiverton, WY

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:35 PM

When I was teaching the construction trades at the college we had a Bosch table saw and it seem like a pretty good saw.  

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 05 December 2020 - 09:37 PM

When I was teaching the construction trades at the college we had a Bosch table saw and it seem like a pretty good saw.

I’ve liked most Bosch tools I’ve had as well.....I certainly wouldn’t be afraid of them.

#12 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 07 December 2020 - 09:35 AM

That was an interesting graphic in the article.  In my toolbox, I have a wide assortment of brands.  Back in the day, I used to be primarily Craftsman hand tools, but when Sears went under, Craftsman was nowhere to be found until recent years at Lowes and Ace Hardware.

I've been buying more and more Ryobi cordless power tools.  Couple of reasons, I like the "All in one" 18v battery system which powers a wide assortment of tools and there is also a local surplus store who keeps a good stock of Ryobi.  Case in point, I was in there last week and bought a new Ryobi 18v 4 1/2 inch angle grinder for $15 (grinder only, no batteries).  I realize Ryobi is a "consumer level" tool, but I am not in my tools every day.

Attached File  Tool-Brand-Behemoths-Tool-Companies-Who-Owns-What-Brands.jpg   163.93KB   0 downloads

• Vol and somedevildawg like this

#13 KurtS1

KurtS1

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSWMI

Posted 08 December 2020 - 09:54 AM

I have had very good luck with my Dewalt tools.  I bought the 18 volt drill and panel saw kit about 25 years ago.  I wore the drill out several years ago (I am now on my third one), but the panel saw is still in use.  As well as a 3/8" and a 1/2" impact gun, both very handy.  I also had a 4.5 " angle grinder that I wore out and have a newer one of them as well, they have lots of power.  All of these see a lot of use.

I have a lot of Snap-On tools, but am pretty much done with them, because I am tired of chasing down the truck, on the specific day that they are in my area and one of the regular drivers won't warranty tools, if you did not buy them from him. 

I have had some good luck with the Tekton tools, out of GR, MI.  They sell on-line and are close to me (45 min away) so I can get the tools in a day and are suppose to have a lifetime warranty (I have not broken any yet) and some of the tools are made in the USA.  I broke my 3/4" breaker bar this spring (taking my disc apart to replace a bearing) and bought a big one from them (3/4" x 36").  I was able to get the disc apart and back together and I even had a cheater on the handle for extra leverage!

• JD3430 likes this

#14 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2679 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 03 January 2021 - 04:56 AM

Most of my electric tools are dealt with the exception of Milwaukee hole shooter drill and 8 inch saw.  Really like those two, great power.  All my cordless stuff is 20 v desalt plus a max volt grinder.  Excellent service with lots of use.  When I started acquiring hand tools in the 60s, it was craftsman only.  Moved away from craftsman electric tools in the 90s due to poor quality and performance.  By 2000 their sockets and particularly ratchets were crap.  Buy ratchets from German companies now and quite pleased

• endrow likes this

#15 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 393 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 15 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

It is sad to see what CEO Marvin Ellison is doing to Lowe's and particularly the Craftsman line. Strategically Kobalt is the 'higher' line of tools and Craftsman is the 'low-mid grade' line. Sure not the way I remember Craftsman back in the Sears days. 

I really like the Kobalt hand tools and I have a Kobalt cordless impact that is stout. I bought a Kobalt combo kit (skil saw, drill, recip saw) that are crap. skil saw bearings went out very fast. Recip moves slowly and is weak. Drill is the only thing I use regularly. It came with 1.5 amp hour batteries which were the norm for the time but are close to useless by todays standards. 

Kobalt power tools are made by Greenworks which does not have very good reputation. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors