John Deere 640 rake - repair question and routine maintenance advice - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 640 rake - repair question and routine maintenance advice

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Hi all.  This forum helped me solve some initiate balance and height adjustment issues right after I got the rake.  While working through and solving these problems, there are 2 things I want to do now.  Take a look...

1) Routine maintenance - what are the steps to take to properly lubricate and maintain the rake?  I see that it has a lot of grease zerts, and I have added grease to a few.  Can I over-grease?  Also, gear box fluid.  How often to I add/change the fluid in the drive box on the left side?  Should I just get an operators manual and follow what they say in there?

2) I need to repair one of the bearing housings where the bar attaches to the wheel on the left side wheel.  It has sloppy play in it.  do I just remove it, then break it down and see what piece is worn, then replace it?  I hate to take it off and not be able to fix it, and be worse off than 1 of my 8 attachment points being sloppy.

Appreciate the help.

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5301 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted Yesterday, 04:40 PM

To add to your list, I would disassemble the drive hubs and clean and lube the dogs. This isn’t mandatory, but while you’re doing that one bar bearing, I would be very tempted to locate a fifth bar and add that to your rake. It will definitely do better with five.

#3 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4199 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted Yesterday, 05:32 PM

I agree that you should acquire a 640 operators manual & follow what it states about amount & frequency of lubrication.

It's been many years since I've read a JD side delivery rake OM but I don't remember & seriously doubt operators manual recommends lubricating drive dogs in wheel clutches. I know for a fact JD has similar type slip on their rd balers that one can cause to fail by over greasing.

Reel pipe brgs are still available from JD.  2ea-JD8914 & 2ea-JD8244 for each end of pipe

• Vol likes this

#4 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15508 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

There is a brand new original 640 operators manual for $16.89 right now on eBay with free shipping from Tennessee. 

Regards, Mike

#5 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 07:00 PM

Thanks, Jim and HiTech.  I will check into getting a 5th bar, and replacing the reel bearings.  I will also buy a 640 operators manual.  I am off to a good start.  I know a lot more than I did 2 days ago, but still far less than I need to know.  I will ease into it, but I want to make sure I maintain the rake for longevity.

#6 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 07:04 PM

There is a brand new original 640 operators manual for $16.89 right now on eBay with free shipping from Tennessee. 

Regards, Mike

Mike, I just bought that operators manual.  Thanks for the link.

#7 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5301 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted Yesterday, 08:12 PM

I agree that you should acquire a 640 operators manual & follow what it states about amount & frequency of lubrication.

It's been many years since I've read a JD side delivery rake OM but I don't remember & seriously doubt operators manual recommends lubricating drive dogs in wheel clutches. I know for a fact JD has similar type slip on their rd balers that one can cause to fail by over greasing.

Reel pipe brgs are still available from JD. 2ea-JD8914 & 2ea-JD8244 for each end of pipe

Maybe it’s not recommended in a manual, but in any rake that old there is a very good chance that the dogs are gunky and stiff with ancient grease, possibly affecting their function especially if it has sat unused for any long periods. A good cleaning and enough lube to not have it completely dry in there is likely a good idea.
  • r82230 likes this

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted Yesterday, 08:54 PM

Maybe it’s not recommended in a manual, but in any rake that old there is a very good chance that the dogs are gunky and stiff with ancient grease, possibly affecting their function especially if it has sat unused for any long periods. A good cleaning and enough lube to not have it completely dry in there is likely a good idea.

+1

Larry

• My53Jubilee likes this

#9 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Today, 08:07 AM

This isn’t mandatory, but while you’re doing that one bar bearing, I would be very tempted to locate a fifth bar and add that to your rake. It will definitely do better with five.

I am going to try to locate a 5th bar today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors