Green horn- deep East TX - burn it all? - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Green horn- deep East TX - burn it all?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 J7farms

J7farms

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationDeep East texas

Posted Yesterday, 03:58 AM

So we purchased a farm in deep East TX 50a in hay. Was not fertilized at al last year but sprayed for weeds. We made an "organic" curing upon possession to mainly verify all equipment purchased. He used quick lime every year in the spring from what i was told. Questions: Heard few topics that suggest burning the field in the spring... there are a few broadleaf weeds noticed when cutting but nothing patchy... jiggs and Alicia are what is grown. 2) season for lime application?

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Welcome to Haytalk J7 Farms....

I would suggest getting a soil sample first. That lets you know what kind of soil, and it’s properties, that you have.....
You can burn, not a huge fan, but it may be fine for you.....a chemical burn may be in order this winter when/if your Bermuda goes dormant.
I would get that soil sample done asap, it well indeed may be a good time to incorporate lime....it takes a while to migrate into the soil and be effective.

#3 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

if you need lime.....anytime you can safely get it in the field the sooner the better ....

as he said ^^^^^^ soil test

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors