https://youtu.be/0cUK7fhFkTI

• Onthayman and KurtS1 like this

#2 Cantrellc123

Cantrellc123

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationManchester, Tennessee

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:46 PM

I was really hoping to see a baler in action on that steep ground.

• rjmoses and dvcochran like this

#3 PaulN

PaulN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 246 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, MN

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:00 PM

You have to admire their abilities to come up the ideas, and then to actually build lt.

#4 Stxpecans123

Stxpecans123

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:24 PM

At some point I think you gata call it. This land isn't worth farming.
  • Tim/South likes this

#5 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:53 AM

I've seen tools like this being used in Northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland and Slovenia all hilly countries, they've been farming there by hand for centuries and it's all for local consumption. I've seen some very sophisticated hay handling, but not for bales only for lose hay where a grapple on a wire with a man in a cabin controls the movement, yet there were big straw bales, of course they were imported from the flat lands as no harvester could operate on those slopes. Goes to show the ingenuity of people. Tanks for sharing JD 3430.

• JD3430 likes this

#6 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 22 November 2020 - 03:37 PM

At some point I think you gata call it. This land isn't worth farming.

I think the issue is, there’s so little land left to farm, they have no choice. 

• dvcochran likes this

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10946 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 22 November 2020 - 05:16 PM

Time to say screw it and move

#8 Hayguy

Hayguy

Hay Master

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationFitchburg,Wisconsin

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:11 AM

That's what cattle are for.
  • gradyjohn and dvcochran like this

#9 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 November 2020 - 08:45 AM

This is what they do when it gets really steep and inaccessible.  Watch to the end. 

#10 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 684 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 23 November 2020 - 09:55 AM

My clumsy a$$ would either get my foot caught in the net and go for a ride or trip over a stick and go tumbling down that hill like the cheese wheel the English chase... Interesting though

#11 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 24 November 2020 - 10:02 AM

This is what they do when it gets really steep and inaccessible.  Watch to the end. 

Well, that explains why the Swiss are all so healthy. :)

#12 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 26 November 2020 - 10:33 PM

Someone say something about baling on steep ground?..

https://youtu.be/E0psJlqlDqg

#13 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:23 AM

Someone say something about baling on steep ground?..

https://youtu.be/E0psJlqlDqg

Both Tractor & Baler have a very wide track and very low centre of gravity but he'd better not release the bale on the slope or else he could be singing....like a rolling stone! :cool:

• JD3430 likes this

#14 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4903 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:18 PM

Both Tractor & Baler have a very wide track and very low centre of gravity but he'd better not release the bale on the slope or else he could be singing....like a rolling stone! :cool:

He has those berms to drop them on. The trick is to drop them so that they are in the low of the berm.  Sometimes I have to travel 300 feet to find a drop spot.  I usually try to time it so that I'm on the top of low part pf the hillside.   

That ground is just slightly steeper than some of mine.  I'll have to get some pictures next year.  I have a couple of places where I bale only going up/down.  I have to use 4WD going up/down to keep from stalling out  or getting pushed if I have a nearly full bale

Ralph

• Tim/South, JD3430, Trillium Farm and 1 other like this

#15 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 27 November 2020 - 06:51 PM

He has those berms to drop them on. The trick is to drop them so that they are in the low of the berm.  Sometimes I have to travel 300 feet to find a drop spot.  I usually try to time it so that I'm on the top of low part pf the hillside.   

That ground is just slightly steeper than some of mine.  I'll have to get some pictures next year.  I have a couple of places where I bale only going up/down.  I have to use 4WD going up/down to keep from stalling out  or getting pushed if I have a nearly full bale

Ralph

Same. I have a lot of sloping ground. It takes 3x as long having to run to flat spots to dump bales. Got to the point where on the steeper fields that I just take them to where theyre finally stacked and dump them in lines. Id be so much better off with a big square baler.

Flat fields, I just go like heck and round em up later. 

• rjmoses, Tim/South and Trillium Farm like this

#16 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 28 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

Same. I have a lot of sloping ground. It takes 3x as long having to run to flat spots to dump bales. Got to the point where on the steeper fields that I just take them to where theyre finally stacked and dump them in lines. Id be so much better off with a big square baler.

Flat fields, I just go like heck and round em up later. 

I've seen a round baler (can't remember the make) that has an attachment on the back which gives the bale a 1/2 turn so that it land on its end so that it doesn't roll, But I agree in your case a Big Sq would be the answer.

• rjmoses, Tim/South and JD3430 like this

#17 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 29 November 2020 - 09:57 AM

I've seen a round baler (can't remember the make) that has an attachment on the back which gives the bale a 1/2 turn so that it land on its end so that it doesn't roll, But I agree in your case a Big Sq would be the answer.

I just can’t wrap my brain around making the leap to a big square. It would make trucking hay so much easier. Dump bales anywhere you want.

But the repairs to an older big square seem like an impossible leap. 
Seems like it would need to be repaired all the time if it’s an older 3x4 or 4x4. Also don’t know about my tractor on anything hilly. Those big square balers are Huuuuuge! 

• Trillium Farm likes this

#18 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 10:18 AM

I just can’t wrap my brain around making the leap to a big square. It would make trucking hay so much easier. Dump bales anywhere you want.

But the repairs to an older big square seem like an impossible leap. 
Seems like it would need to be repaired all the time if it’s an older 3x4 or 4x4. Also don’t know about my tractor on anything hilly. Those big square balers are Huuuuuge! 

It is very hard for me to believe that a big sq baler will give the same hay quality in baling that a small sq baler would, that goes in spades for those HD balers. I'm still of the school that a bale needs to breathe. All things being "Perfect" HD balers ought to do as well as small sq balers, but we know all too well how conditions change in the same field.

• Tim/South, JD3430 and r82230 like this

#19 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2991 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:06 AM

There is an attachment it’s so the bales are inline to pick up with a self loading trailer. Vermeer makes one as does NH. Or it’s an aftermarket that fits both brands. NH dealer doesn’t sell a baler without it.

#20 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 29 November 2020 - 11:18 AM

There is an attachment it’s so the bales are inline to pick up with a self loading trailer. Vermeer makes one as does NH. Or it’s an aftermarket that fits both brands. NH dealer doesn’t sell a baler without it.

That could be, but it also prevents them from rolling. If memory serves the one I saw was Vicon/Kverneland/Kubota or maybe McHale, age does a few tricks on the brain. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors