• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KurtS1

KurtS1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSWMI

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:22 PM

Like many others, I am considering upgrading my round baler.  Currently, I have a NH 640 auto wrap, that I am fairly happy with, it makes good bales and has given only a few problems  That being said, I think that I would like to make the jump to net wrap, to speed up baling and I would REALLY like to upgrade to the extra wide pick-up.  I've looked at a lot of expensive, worn out looking balers online and may have found a decent one.

I found a NH 644, it looks just like my 640, with the upgrades that I would add if I could.  Net wrap and the extra wide pick-up.  It is a silage special, so it has a cutter, which I am not sure that I need or want.  I think that they can be disabled or removed, but I am not sure.  I have some customers that set the bale on the flat and peel off/unroll sections, to limit feed.  I am worried that this will let the bale disintegrate, once the wrap is cut off.  Is this the case? 

The baler looks in VERY good condition, is in my price range (+/- 8500) and not to far away.  It has made a lot of bales (16 K), but appears to be well maintained and stored inside, when not in use.  I like the fact that it is similar to my 640, at least it appears to be similar, I could be wrong.  This would help to flatten the learning curve.

I have read quite a few reviews and these seem to be a decent machine.  I bale between 500 to 700 bales a year, mostly grass/alfalfa mix and hope to expand a little maybe 800 to 1000 bales a year, some day.  I am really considering buying this baler.  The only hesitation that I have is I was really hoping for/wanted a BR series, I guess that is what I thought I needed to go to to get what I wanted/needed.  But those are about twice as much for similar options and similar "mileage" and some of those have a rougher to much rougher appearance. 

Are they that much better?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.  I think there will be more balers for sale in the spring, but feel the prices will be higher too, but then again who knows?

Thanks for looking,

Kurt

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5306 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:46 PM

There are differences with each model number change from the 640 to the BR7060 but they are all based on the original 640 concept, so I wouldn’t sweat it if the baler you like is a 44 instead of say a 740. I also don’t consider 16k to be a lot of bales for one if it looks to be in good shape. My 644 finished this season right around that total and there is plenty of life left in it with regular maintenance.

The bale slice available in the 644 is very much optional. It can be fully retracted and you can bale as if it isn’t there. This is done from the monitor so you never have to leave the cab to turn it on or off. There is also the option of only running some of the knives, but that does require manually removing or adding them to get the amount you would feel appropriate. I agree that if fork feeding one doesn’t want to utilize them, with the possible exception of baling a very overly mature crop that you might hope to increase consumption by cutting it into shorter bits. Obviously there are other reasons to use it but it doesn’t sound like those would apply to your situation.
  • KurtS1 likes this

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:16 PM

if it hasn't baled corn stalks and well maintained, it could have a lot bales left in yet.  You'll be happier with net, too. IMHO

Larry

• KurtS1 likes this

#4 Cantrellc123

Cantrellc123

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationManchester, Tennessee

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:46 AM

You are correct that the choices are few now and will be greater once spring arrives. With that said there will be LOTS of choices that’ll include many units poorly maintained or left out in the open their entire life once spring arrives. Buying now, or anytime that it’s a planned purchase gives you the opportunity to carefully and slowly make decisions that you will be glad of. If you wait till spring/summer and have a major equipment failure and feel forced to find another unit quickly most likely you’ll make a poor purchase decision.

‘The fact that it’s the same brand that your familiar with should help you to go over it to access it’s true condition. Also if you feel you can get a truthful reason it’s for sale that’s not due to mechanical issues then another card falls in your favor. And speaking from experience if they make a boastful claim to be field ready be VERY careful. 
I spent 5 months looking for another baler before I found what I wanted. The first one I tried came from a dealer making just that claim. As soon as I engaged the PTO I was suspicious. Less than 200’ on the first bale it locked up. I had 2 other owners of a specific model I wanted to buy during the summer proclaiming “field ready” that my only request was to see it roll 1 bale. Neither would do that with the most lame excuses presented each time I called for an opportunity to see it in action.

This may be the exact baler your looking for but if this is a purchase that can wait for as much as a year then you’ll be able to see a vast number of units that may fit your desires and checkbook even better by taking your time to see what is actually available.

• gradyjohn and KurtS1 like this

#5 KurtS1

KurtS1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSWMI

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:09 PM

One more cutter question.  Does the cut up hay reduce hay waste in cattle only, or does it work for fat pasture ponies as well?

#6 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5306 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 08:16 PM

One more cutter question. Does the cut up hay reduce hay waste in cattle only, or does it work for fat pasture ponies as well?

I’ve never used mine for horses or fed any horse ever, though I would imagine it might help depending on what kind of feeder is used and how much the owner of the horses expects them to clean their plates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors