Help with height adjustment on JD 640 side delivery rake - Page 2 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Help with height adjustment on JD 640 side delivery rake

rake 640

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4197 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted Yesterday, 07:36 AM

I agree that the spring shouldn't be fully compressed. Are lift linkages on each side of rake free of rust & have the ability to pivot freely?? 

Attached Files

#22 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 08:35 AM

Attached File  20201121_133006.jpg   134.15KB   0 downloadsTx Jim, thanks for the photo.  The linkages pivot freely and are free of rust, but i think the problem is that the left side linkage is at the max height, so once it reaches the max height, it doesn't raise the reel anymore, just compresses the spring.

Question.  What pitch should I set it to, for a beginner?  It is pitched all the way forward. See photo for pitch.

#23 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 AM

Does driveshaft telescope in/out freely? Can LH side of reel be raised via a jack or other type lifting mechanism so spring isn't compressed? Pitch of basket determines how much reel teeth push or roll the hay. The way it's set in your photo tends to roll the hay

#24 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 10:51 AM

Does driveshaft telescope in/out freely?

OK, I think this is the biggest part of my problem.  The drive shaft does not telescope at all.  when I took it off completely, a lot my my height adjustment and balance problems disappeared.  Yeah.

Now, is there a way to get the drive shaft to telescope - it is pretty seized up.  I haven't beat around on it at all.  How should I approach this?  I put some PB Blaster on it, hoping it may work its way in there and help me free it up.  See photo of seized drive shaft.

Attached Files

#25 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Ok you're making progress.

Did you raise pto shaft straight up so maybe PBblaster can seep down into telescoping area?? I suggest holding a hammer on 1 side of drive shaft & gently tapping opposite side of drive shaft with a smaller hammer hoping to shake some rust/corrosion loose. Next attach come-along to apply pulling pressure while tapping with hammer.  If tapping & come-along doesn't free shaft to telescope then heat is the next option

• 8350HiTech likes this

#26 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Ok you're making progress.

Did you raise pto shaft straight up so maybe PBblaster can seep down into telescoping area?? I suggest holding a hammer on 1 side of drive shaft & gently tapping opposite side of drive shaft with a smaller hammer hoping to shake some rust/corrosion loose. Next attach come-along to apply pulling pressure while tapping with hammer.  If tapping & come-along doesn't free shaft to telescope then heat is the next option

Success!

Very little was required to get the drive shaft loose.  I knocked it with a hammer, took the shaft out, oiled it, put it back together.  Now, there is 2 inches that telescopes at the bottom, as you travel along.  I am all fixed now.  Amazing!  This forum is so helpful.  Thanks, James and Tx Jim.

(see photo of drive shaft NOW!)

#27 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted Yesterday, 03:30 PM

I am going to close down this thread...my height adjustment problems are solved.  The two main changes I made were:

1.  Drive shaft on the left (drive) side was seized up and needed to be broken free and oiled, so it wasn't pulling the left side down and upsetting the natural balance.

2.  I added the shims behind the springs on the height adjustment rods, since I was at the end of the threads on them, and still needed to life the reel up more.  This, along with #1 above, gives me everything I need to level the rake.  I am in business.

Thank you to everyone who helped me out on this.  On to my next project.  I will start a new thread.

#28 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4197 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:23 PM

You're very welcome I'm glad I could help you. Jim

• My53Jubilee likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors