Help with height adjustment on JD 640 side delivery rake - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Help with height adjustment on JD 640 side delivery rake

rake 640

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a John Deere 640 side delivery rake.  I need to do some minor repairs and I should be set to rake some hay with it.  I am a very small time hobby hay guy.  6 acres of hay for our 2 horses, plus sell leftover bales so my boys can make some $ by working hard.

Anyway, it looks like I don't have much room to adjust the rake upward anymore.  the adjusting rod on the right side is all the way adjusted up, and the teeth are still scraping the ground.  The tires are a little low, so some air in them may help.

How can I adjust the right side of the rake so the turning the adjustment shaft will allow me to raise the teeth up off the ground?  It looks like there may be a way to adjust the place where the rake hangs from the frame.

Thank you in advance for your help.  I can post pictures if you want.

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3754 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

Been years since I had my JD 640, but air in the tires is a certain.  Next is are the tires original or some old scrape tires?  The reason I ask is IIRC the original tires set pretty high, compared to some car tires.

Pics of your adjustment could be also helpful.

Larry

#3 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:23 PM

Thanks.  These are not the original tires.  they are replacements, more like car tires.  I will add some air to start with, and post pictures if that doesn't do the trick.

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3754 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:32 PM

Also, what is the tractor's drawbar height?  The reason I ask is behind the old Ford 2000, we had to flip the draw bar, when hooked to the rake.  Sorry I should have asked that too.  Must be the stuff in the apple cider tonight.  :cool:

Larry

#5 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:38 PM

This rake has a front dolly wheel.  Tractor drawbar is about 1.25 inches thick.

#6 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5302 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:50 PM

That rake should have decent ground clearance if fully raised and everything else is right. I highly doubt air is going to be the primary issue here, but it it’s a very cheap place to start!

#7 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4204 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:37 AM

Welcome to HT

If bracket(key 6) is still at 90° angle then I suggest to add shim washers between washer(key 4) & spring(key 5).

Attached Files

#8 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:50 AM

Thanks, Tx Jim.  I will put air in the tires and check bracket today.  And thanks for the welcome message.  I look forward to learning a lot from many nice people who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experiences with others.

#9 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:52 AM

Actually, it is the left side suspension that I am most concerned about.  I got right and left confused in my original post.  same suggestion - shim washers?  Thanks.

#10 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:27 AM

While I am at it, I need to solve a different problem.  The height adjustment rods/shaft don't operate very smoothly.  Will adding some grease to the zerts solve that problem?  Right side adjustment shaft is bent a little - should i straighten it?  It doesn't seem to affect the operation, but i want to get everything right on this ole rake.

#11 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:49 AM

Welcome to HayTalk!  Grease should help smooth the operation of the adjustment shafts.  As long as the shaft isn't bent where it passes through the adjuster threads, it's probably not hurting anything.  But in general a straight shaft will create less resistance than a bent shaft.

#12 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4204 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:38 AM

Installing extra washer or washers as previously outlined should help adjusting rake teeth height on both sides (RH or LH). Regular greasing intervals will help with making adjustments.

#13 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:02 AM

As far as the bent adjustment shaft,  the one on my old rake was bent in the middle about 1/2".  Not anywhere near the adjustment threads.  Made it a little harder to adjust that side, but still worked.  Seems it started getting bent way back when my Grandfather was raking, dang rake tried breeding the left rear wheel of the tractor.  ;)  Grandfather, wasn't the only one that allowed that to happen either.  :o  Unfortunately, the bent one was the one that had he most the rake weight on it (left side, of a left hand delivery rake). 

Larry 

#14 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:16 PM

Day 1 update: (see photos)

1. Put air in all tires - this definitely helped my height problem, but only by 1/2 inch or so.

2. Installed some new teeth - the ones that were physically hitting the strippers.

3.  Installed shims made of 3/4 inch pipe nipples with washers on the end - to save $$ compared to buying all washer shims.  I may need to change the length of the left side shim, as I seemed to compressed the spring all the way.

4.  Right side end stripper was flopping loose because the bolt had broken off - replaced that.

After doing these things, I had a lot more tolerance to adjust both sides, but it seems now that the rake is overbalanced to the left side - the side with the drive gear box.  How should I address this problem?  Add weight to the right side?

Overall, I am able to get the teeth to clear the ground by and inch or so, but now the balance is off with very little room for adjustment in the future.  Great progress, but any suggestions on what to do next?

Also, I found that one of the bearing assembly on the end of one of the 4 bars has a lot of sloppy play.  can i take that apart and see what bearing or component is worn out, so I can fix that?

Thanks for everyone's help.  Major progress today.  I will provide further updates as I do more toward getting the rake fully operational.

Thanks!

#15 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:24 PM

Photos attached to this post.  After Day 1.

Attached Files

#16 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:03 PM

Could be your springs are about shot.

• r82230 likes this

#17 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4204 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:24 PM

Can you please post photo's of each spring?  You're correct in that the gearbox on LH end of reel causes LH end to weigh more than RH end

• My53Jubilee likes this

#18 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3754 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:42 PM

Could be your springs are about shot.

I'm in Marty's camp, of course Dad bought it in the early- mid 60's.  Left side was heavier on mine too.

Larry

#19 My53Jubilee

My53Jubilee

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:14 PM

Here is a picture of the springs.  The left side spring is all the way compressed, and is very rusty.

Attached Files

#20 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10933 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:02 PM

Here is a picture of the springs.  The left side spring is all the way compressed, and is very rusty.

It’s shot, might as well have a piece of pipe in its place. The spring shouldn’t be compressed all the way, it gives it some float and if it wasn’t compressed it would also lift higher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors