• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jloven

Jloven

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBakersville, NC

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

I have a 2008 new holland BR7060 net wrap baler with about 7500 bales on it.  I am looking to swap out and get a new one this winter.  I have looked at the NH 450, the JD 459, and a Kubota BV4160 silage special.  All are newer models, the Kubota is of the most interest just because its close to me and is priced to sell.  It has about 1500 bales on it.  Anyone know if this baler will bale at wrap at the same speed as my BR7060?  I don't want to go backwards on an upgrade!  Any advice or recommendations on a new round baler is appreciated.  I currently only bale dry hay and no intentions of moving to balage type hay.  Briefly looked at a massey ferguson but just don't know anything about them.  Dealers for all 4 brands are all about an hour away from me.  Thanks for any input.  

#2 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:47 PM

I've seen videos of the Kubota BV4160 and it looks impressive for the ease of access to just about every part as the sides open up like a butterfly, net is super easy to load and monitor.

I've also heard that those that have them (balers) are very happy with them. I also like Kubota corporate philosophy so my nod would be for this one.

I'm also going to get the Pop-Corn just in case. :D

• JD3430 likes this

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:50 PM

Wrapping time depends almost entirely on how many wraps are applied and how fast the bale is turning in the chamber.  

#4 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5306 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:11 PM

Wrapping time depends almost entirely on how many wraps are applied and how fast the bale is turning in the chamber.

I could be wrong but I think there is a typo in the original post and it should say “bale AND wrap” instead of “bale at wrap” at the same speed as the 7060.

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

How many bales a year are you baling,  might be a question that needs an answer.  7500 bales doesn't sound like a lot for any color baler.

Makes me wonder why would someone get rid of a baler with only 1500 bales too.   There could be a very valid reason, would just like to know. :confused:   Hopefully, not a lemon, which can happen to any color baler also.

Larry

• somedevildawg likes this

#6 Jloven

Jloven

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

We bale around 500-700 bales per year.  The Kubota baler that has 1500 bales was traded in on an excavator, they were getting out of the hay business.

I have seen a couple of videos of the Kubota as well.  Local dealer has a good reputation of supporting Kubota brand equipment.  

I just didn't want to pick it up and wish I still had the BR7060.

• r82230 likes this

#7 Randy Litton

Randy Litton

• Members
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWaverly TN 37185

Posted 18 November 2020 - 02:48 PM

I have standardized to John Deere.  I also know all the makes are the same under the paint, it's your preference, but consider this, are you going to be going in opposite direction for parts and service, with different dealers.

Regardless of how you maintain your equipment, there will be times when two different pieces of equipment need a part at the same time.  Dealing with different vendor parts systems and schedules can be frustrating.

I did not buy a JD square baler because they do not offer an inline baler, I bought MF1840.

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:58 PM

We bale around 500-700 bales per year.  The Kubota baler that has 1500 bales was traded in on an excavator, they were getting out of the hay business.

I have seen a couple of videos of the Kubota as well.  Local dealer has a good reputation of supporting Kubota brand equipment.  

I just didn't want to pick it up and wish I still had the BR7060.

If the price is right, you are moving from a baler that has 20+ years of service to a baler with 30+ years of service, at your baling rate.  Figuring that each baler should make 20K bales each (there are folks who get a lot more than 20K BTW).   So you could look at a cost of adding 10 years of baler service.   

My SWAG is that you are probably better to trade, if the price is right.  Thinking new baler prices will be higher than inflation in 20 years (trading a possibly worn baler for a new one then).  But then again I'm spending YOUR money. ;)

Larry

#9 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:43 PM

I just traded my BR7060 SS on a RB450 SS.

On initial observations, the RB has several improvements that I was looking for. My 7060 belts were pretty beat up and it was too hard on the baler to continuously make 1000lb bales. 

Dealer gave me their offer. I told him it was too much. Few days later, NH threw in another $1,000 and they have 0% for 60 months going, so I thought this would be a good time.

I also thought Trump would win too, so let’s hope this goes better. 

#10 Jloven

Jloven

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:28 AM

I pulled the trigger on the Kubota BV4160 Silage Special. I sold my NH BR7060 within 4 days of listing on Craigslist,

went to the Kubota dealership yesterday and they hooked it up to a tractor and we ran it through the paces and everything checked out. Went through the monitor and had the mechanic check everything else out and grease it up. It is a 2017 with 1500 bales, but looks new. Looks like it was stored inside its entire life. 
They are delivering next week. With the sale of my old NH baler, I have $3500 invested in the new one. With that, I gained 9 years and about 6000 bales plus a tax deduction!  
of course it will be a few months before I can really see how she performs, but it looks to be every bit the baler that the NH was.  Once it arrives, I will add a couple of pics. 

• JD3430, Trillium Farm and mstuck21 like this

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9792 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 November 2020 - 06:37 AM

Hope it works out to your advantage.....

#12 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 25 November 2020 - 08:03 AM

I pulled the trigger on the Kubota BV4160 Silage Special. I sold my NH BR7060 within 4 days of listing on Craigslist,

went to the Kubota dealership yesterday and they hooked it up to a tractor and we ran it through the paces and everything checked out. Went through the monitor and had the mechanic check everything else out and grease it up. It is a 2017 with 1500 bales, but looks new. Looks like it was stored inside its entire life. 
They are delivering next week. With the sale of my old NH baler, I have $3500 invested in the new one. With that, I gained 9 years and about 6000 bales plus a tax deduction!  
of course it will be a few months before I can really see how she performs, but it looks to be every bit the baler that the NH was.  Once it arrives, I will add a couple of pics. 

Don’t you just love those kinds of “trade ups”?

I also sold my NH BR7060 on CL. Was able to get a little over 1/2 what I paid for it in 2013. 
The RB450 had enough of the features I was looking for along with the experienced service dept and at a great price. Hopefully I can ride this baler a while. I didn’t really look at the Kubota baler as there wasnt a ton of dealership offerings or support in my immediate area.

Good luck with it! 

#13 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 25 November 2020 - 04:29 PM

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with the Kubota baler when you have had a chance to use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors