• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dirtboy

Dirtboy

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Locationnew York

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:01 PM

When I engage the pto on my krone 46 t rotary rake the slip clutch slips until the rake catches up with the pto. Is this normal? I bought the rake almost new and it’s always done it. I looked in the manual and it says you’re not supposed to make any adjustments to the slip clutch. It seems like it needs to be tightened up but maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be to protect the pto.  Anyone have any info? Thanks 

#2 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 17 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

When I engage the pto on my krone 46 t rotary rake the slip clutch slips until the rake catches up with the pto. Is this normal? I bought the rake almost new and it’s always done it. I looked in the manual and it says you’re not supposed to make any adjustments to the slip clutch. It seems like it needs to be tightened up but maybe that’s the way it’s supposed to be to protect the pto.  Anyone have any info? Thanks 

I don't have a Krone, but this doesn't sound normal. Since you bought it "almost" new could it be that the previous owner may have made some changes/adjustments? I'd check with the dealer and owner (if you can).

#3 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2663 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:28 PM

mine (38t, but the same set up I think) slips a little, just remember to engage when the throttle is down, then raise the throttle after engaging the rake.  Don't recall it ever slipping after engaging however.  Send Krone1 a pm 

• Dirtboy likes this

#4 Dirtboy

Dirtboy

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Locationnew York

Posted 17 November 2020 - 04:52 PM

mine (38t, but the same set up I think) slips a little, just remember to engage when the throttle is down, then raise the throttle after engaging the rake.  Don't recall it ever slipping after engaging however.  Send Krone1 a pm 

I always have throttle all the way down when I start that minimizes it. Once it’s going it never slips unless I hit a woodchuck hole or a dip in the field   Thanks for the replies

• Dirtboy likes this

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3749 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:50 PM

IDK about a Krone rake, but my Krone tedder does the same thing, unless I 'feather' the PTO engagement.   My guess it's OK as is.  Hopefully, Krone1 gets off one of his cruises and chimes in soon.  ;)   At least I think he still chimes in from time to time. 

Larry

• somedevildawg and Dirtboy like this

#6 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:32 PM

He’s probably off the strait of Gibraltar right about now, rubbing elbows, eating sauerkraut and drinking Jagermeister :o
I would say it probably could be tightened a RCH but it ain’t much off....
  • Dirtboy likes this

#7 Makingrass

Makingrass

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWestern Alberta Canada

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:11 AM

Have the same rake and also a 10 basket Tedder that do the same thing. Like mentioned above I slowly try to engage the pto and that helps, some tractors are easier to do this than others.
  • Dirtboy likes this

#8 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:06 AM

From my experience this is normal with the electronically engaged PTO's on the Krone 46T and 42T rakes I've had.  Some tractors engage softer than others, but you just can't feather them on like you could an older manually engaged PTO.  I always engage at idle when using a tractor with electronically engaged PTO.  I've never had this happen on my Krone tedder, but am using a 55 series Deere with a manual PTO engagement lever so I can feather it on regardless of RPM.

• Vol and Dirtboy like this

#9 Hayman1

Hayman1

• Members
  • 2663 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:05 PM

From my experience this is normal with the electronically engaged PTO's on the Krone 46T and 42T rakes I've had.  Some tractors engage softer than others, but you just can't feather them on like you could an older manually engaged PTO.  I always engage at idle when using a tractor with electronically engaged PTO.  I've never had this happen on my Krone tedder, but am using a 55 series Deere with a manual PTO engagement lever so I can feather it on regardless of RPM.

ya, I think you hit it on the head, it is the electronic engaging ptos.  I really miss my hand lever for multiple reasons, feathering being just one.  Now, I wouldn't give up my partial power shift for any amount of money when cutting or baling.  That part of electronics is priceless to me

• Dirtboy likes this

#10 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 01:14 PM

ya, I think you hit it on the head, it is the electronic engaging ptos.  I really miss my hand lever for multiple reasons, feathering being just one.  Now, I wouldn't give up my partial power shift for any amount of money when cutting or baling.  That part of electronics is priceless to me

I hear ya.  I went from a 40 series quad range, (which only afforded a single powershift from 1-2 or 3-4) to a powerquad, to an IVT.  Still love the powerquad, but the IVT has spoiled me for cutting and baling.

Along the same lines, the power reverser would be pretty hard to part with as well.  At one point this summer when I was putting a lot of hours in the tractors, I found myself reaching for the turn signal lever in my truck to put it in reverse on more than one occasion!  :lol:

• somedevildawg, Hayman1, Dirtboy and 1 other like this

#11 Hayman1

Hayman1

• Members
  • 2663 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 18 November 2020 - 03:21 PM

I hear ya.  I went from a 40 series quad range, (which only afforded a single powershift from 1-2 or 3-4) to a powerquad, to an IVT.  Still love the powerquad, but the IVT has spoiled me for cutting and baling.

Along the same lines, the power reverser would be pretty hard to part with as well.  At one point this summer when I was putting a lot of hours in the tractors, I found myself reaching for the turn signal lever in my truck to put it in reverse on more than one occasion!  :lol:

I agree with that as well, have almost broken my turn signal in my truck several times when I got perturbed that it wasn't backing my truck up-to me, for loader work, there is no substitute for the power reverser and that includes hydrostatic rocker pedals-hate those things, never pined to drive a greyhound bus

• Vol, somedevildawg, Dirtboy and 1 other like this

#12 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3749 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:24 PM

One of my smurf blue tractors has a soft start PTO option, but IDK if it would make a difference on the tedder, because I haven't tried it.  I also don't know why it wouldn't be a standard feature on all electronic PTO tractors. 

Larry

• somedevildawg, Trillium Farm, Dirtboy and 1 other like this

#13 Dirtboy

Dirtboy

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Locationnew York

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:18 PM

Thanks for the replies so it sounds like I shouldn’t be too concerned I have a 5100 m and a 9960 they both have electronic pto and both do the same thing. I do the same thing with my blinker after a long day in the tractor

• somedevildawg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors