Looking for a compact side by side - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Looking for a compact side by side

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:41 PM

My wife wants a side by side but doesn’t want a big bulky one. Some are as big as a small truck. I looked at John Deere 560 and 590’s today. BIG difference in price $9000 to $14,000. What’s y’all’s opinion? I’m sure y’all have one.

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3749 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:24 PM

Can Am  ;)

Larry

#3 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 13 November 2020 - 10:26 PM

My suggestion is this....whatever you buy, Kubota, Deere Polaris Kawasaki, etc....just make sure to buy insurance. Insurance for mine was $744 a year...it made it two years and 200hrs before “she gone!” :o now I know why the insurance companies charge so much! More than three tractors valued at much more....
  • endrow likes this

#4 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:13 PM

Kawasaki Mule SX this is a smaller sport utility unit. 

Kawi makes a good reliable unit.

• Vol and Onthayman like this

#5 JRehberg

JRehberg

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTallahassee, FL

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:20 AM

We purchased a Mule 2010 Trans a few years back.  It's a two row that can easily be converted into a one row and a larger bed.  It's the older bullet proof model they've been building since the early 90's.  Not as big as most of the other current crew models but a touch bigger than the Mule SX.  It's not a speed demon, doesn't have massaging seats nor the expresso machine option which is why we love it.  It's a no frills workhorse that's easy to drive with the power steering and quiet enough to carry on a conversation while driving.  Co-worker has an SX and loves it; great as long as you only have 2 people.     

My boss has a few JD Gators at his farm.  Personally, I'd rather walk.  Hard to get in gear, rough ride, steering is awful and so loud you can't hear yourself think.  His are several years old so they may have some recent improvements but I'll stick with my Mule.   

On a different note, I would avoid a windshield.  They tend to create a vacuum and will pull any dust you stir up into the cab and you'll be covered in it.  I guess in cold weather it would be nice but we don't have enough cold days in the Fl panhandle to really need one.   

Jesse

• Ox76 likes this

#6 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4899 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 14 November 2020 - 02:02 PM

I've run a Deere HPX 4x4 for years now--have about 1400 hours on it.  Just two problems--Drive shaft to front axle u-joint failed and starter crapped out. 

I am now negotiating on a HPX615e.  Kinda pricey, but they all are now.

Ralph

• endrow likes this

#7 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

I prefer the faster top speed and larger cargo box of Deere's 825i / 835 for what I do with mine, but I understand what you're saying about machines getting bulky.  I have been running a JD 560 for the past week and it's a smaller framed, more nimble machine for sure.  Much cheaper than it's big brothers too.

#8 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 14 November 2020 - 11:01 PM

My boss has a few JD Gators at his farm.  Personally, I'd rather walk.  Hard to get in gear, rough ride, steering is awful and so loud you can't hear yourself think.  His are several years old so they may have some recent improvements but I'll stick with my Mule.   

Jesse

Jesse, what model Gators?

#9 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 15 November 2020 - 12:36 AM

On a different note, I would avoid a windshield.  They tend to create a vacuum and will pull any dust you stir up into the cab and you'll be covered in it.  I guess in cold weather it would be nice but we don't have enough cold days in the Fl panhandle to really need one.   

Jesse

On that note, there are half windshields available, they stop some of the debris from hitting you but also allow air to flow through.

I understand that if you have both a front and rear windshield, that dust will not be drawn in.

Of course neither are needed in hot climates. Where we live it gets mighty cold, I would go for front and rear windshields, to stay a bit warmer.

#10 JRehberg

JRehberg

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTallahassee, FL

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

paoutdoorsman,

I'm pretty sure his are 2012 model year 550 S4 models.  

#11 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8552 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:20 AM

Jesse

On that note, there are half windshields available, they stop some of the debris from hitting you but also allow air to flow through.

I understand that if you have both a front and rear windshield, that dust will not be drawn in.

Of course neither are needed in hot climates. Where we live it gets mighty cold, I would go for front and rear windshields, to stay a bit warmer.

I found out the difference this summer as we took 2 Rangers to the Black Hills riding one with front and back window and the other without windows.It was extremely dry and riding the gravel roads the dust just swirled between th windows.We were covered in dust at end of day with the one with windows in itI sure like the front windshield going 60 down th highway tho.We put as many miles going down highways s we did trails out there

#12 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 15 November 2020 - 08:28 AM

Test drive a Honda pioneer 700, Kubota 850 and Polaris 500/570. The Polaris hands down has a better ride. The Kubota is not far off from the Polaris but still not as comfy. Kubota has a very unique suspension that keeps it level when you load the bed and seems to be the best (as in heavy duty) built when you look under it.

The Polaris is the loudest of the 3. Can’t really talk and ride.

Drive systems are also different. I really like the feel of kubota and Honda CVT over the belt drive. All of them are really nice and comparing will make your head spin.

I hear the can are really nice too but haven’t had a chance to ride one.

Get a Kubota for you and a Polaris for her😂😂
  • r82230 likes this

#13 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 15 November 2020 - 01:26 PM

HAYcorey , there you go trying to spend my money.

#14 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

I have a old gator 2 seater and the bed in back, nothing fancy but it hauls stuff better than I can tote it and my healer has a seat, she loves to ride... and it was cheap...

• somedevildawg likes this

#15 MtnHerd

MtnHerd

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationWestern North Carolina

Posted 16 November 2020 - 06:59 AM

I have a couple of friends with the small framed Polaris 570's and they love them. They are both used for hunting mostly, both here in the Appalachian Mountains (tight trails) and out west in Colorado and Wyoming. I have a Polaris 6x6 Ranger that I love due to the uses on the farm, but it is full sized frame with large bed. My parents and one of my brothers have the Kubota RTV 900's. Their transmission is much nicer and holds back much better coming down the mountains, but they can't come close to being able to go the places I can with the Polaris.
  • r82230 likes this

#16 KS John

KS John

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationKS

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:57 AM

JD HPX Gator is a nice unit. I have a 2004 model with over 1500 hrs and it is still going. Replaced the front axels this year, needs shocks, but other than that is is a good machine. And my wife does not know how to drive one "easy"! LOL.

#17 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2663 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:12 PM

I wasn't looking for speed but a two seater that would track in my Kubota ZG222 ztr 48" deck and had enough electric power to run my ATX 40 sprayer.  Ended up with a Kubota RTV500.  The 400 does not have the electrical system to support the sprayer or at least it did not at the time I purchased.  I have had if for 6 years, has a hard top with windshield but not doors.  Very handy and runs like a top.  No regrets.  BTW, tracks about 50" so works fine in the ztr track.  I did not fit in the gators I tried, too tall but no issues in the Kubota.  I went to the Kaw dealer and he said don't get one, which did not sit well with me, I did not pursue.  I am sure they are fine.

#18 Onthayman

Onthayman

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationDurham Region Ontario Canada

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:03 AM

Kawasaki Mule SX this is a smaller sport utility unit. 

Kawi makes a good reliable unit.

2x on this

We started in the 3000 series and been through the 4000 and now on to the 4010 series. We have two running all the time . We turn them over ever 2000 -2500 hours .  We have been through 5 and on #6 and 7. Resale is good . I find the mules to be tough and easier to work on. I have 6 on staff all who drive the crap out of them and they hold up.  The bench seat is a plus , in the dogs mind anyway . He can stretch out.Also they have been the cheapest to buy up here in Canada compared to most. 

#19 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:58 PM

Can’t remember who the OP was but I went today and looked at a brand I’d never heard of, well....I had heard of them but not a lot. CF Moto.....they have some really nice looking units and the price is on point. Lots of extras that are standard, roof/mirrors/hitches/winch my dealer has been selling them for 7 yrs and no real problems and he keeps parts in stock, says the main thing is carburetors. I was telling a friend and he said his dad bought one 6 yrs ago and it’s still doing good, just had to replace a couple of carbs :o. More a “today’s fuel issue” I think. Check em out....
  • Snow Farmer likes this

#20 gradyjohn

gradyjohn

• Members
  • 818 posts
  • LocationWhitesboro, TX

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

Guess I am the odd man out. I have a Gravely Atlas JSV 3000. It has a good size bed with a electric/hydraulic dump. 4WD if you need it. I think it is made by Polaris.

• somedevildawg and Snow Farmer like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors