Horseradish - Page 2 - Chit Chat/Intros - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Horseradish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Farmineer95

Farmineer95

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationWiscinsin

Posted 14 November 2020 - 09:08 AM

That’s a lot of horseradish!
I’m going to help with grinding today, usually we grind enough for 5 gallons or so, it’s done as a fundraiser kind of sorts. Take what you think will sell and tell the people pay what you think and money goes to your church for whatever you designate as. It seems the hotness changes every year, but the patches are permanent locations . Maybe they need to be rotated? What can you put on to prevent the fungus?

#22 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:28 AM

If the roots are still nice and white I would think you don’t have an issue. I’m unsure if there’s anything the larger guys do other than rotate. We don’t add anything.

I’m no expert on grinding but the old timers say after you grind it to however fine you want it, let it sit for 2-3 minutes before adding your vinegar.

Also I like use a lot of small pieces when I make mine. When you’re around it all day, you get eventually get dumb enough to cut a piece off and chew on it. Sometimes if you take a piece off a bigger root you get a little burst of heat and it’s gone, whereas seems like its more common that the smaller stuff hits like a hammer and makes you have to spit it out.
  • Vol and r82230 like this

#23 Farmineer95

Farmineer95

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationWiscinsin

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:35 PM

Added lemon juice this year to help keep color.
It kept the heat too!
  • mstuck21 likes this

#24 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4907 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 18 November 2020 - 06:58 PM

Just heard from a horseradish grower over by Edwardsville, Ill., that horseradish sales are way down because restaurants aren't buying.

Ralph

#25 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1319 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

Very interesting stuff mstuck21!  Now I've got a hankering for a roast beef sammich!

• mstuck21 likes this

#26 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 19 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

Yea I had heard that too about the restaurant sales but I guess I’m not real surprised. Our farm sales of our other vegetables is down probably over 50% to restaurants , but wholesale to grocery stores and sales at our own retail stand are way up.

When we deliver those roots they get stacked on pallet racking and froze. I believe they’re good in storage for at least a year. The best part about the roots is there’s a few different avenues that they can be sold and used. Hopefully the shelf life will help avoid some of the issues that other crops ran into during the pandemic.

We keep delivering and they keep taking the pallets off the truck so we’ll keep digging.
  • rjmoses likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors