Chicken litter on early emerging grass? - Soil and Amendments - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo

Chicken litter on early emerging grass?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1045 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 06 November 2020 - 08:50 AM

Have some broiler litter left from earlier this year.  Want to get it out of the way.  Drilled orchard grass and timothy late this year, so it is still coming up.  Any chance the litter would burn the young grass?  Have a few places that Jeff has been filling in gullies and just drilled yesterday; how about those places?  With the way 2020 has been, don't want to intentionally let chicken'nure wipe out seeding efforts. 

Thanks,

Shelia

#2 danwi

danwi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 429 posts
  • Locationwi

Posted 06 November 2020 - 10:25 AM

If you can get a ton or 2 spread out good without driving all over I would think it would do it some good.

• RockyHill likes this

#3 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4338 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 06 November 2020 - 12:44 PM

I would not unless you are sure you are down close to the 1 ton and can get an excellent and i mean perfect  spread job .Gps and scales on spreader and spread pattern checked  . Just  Wait till the stand is established is what i would do. 

• Vol, RockyHill and Trillium Farm like this

#4 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:39 PM

I would not unless you are sure you are down close to the 1 ton and can get an excellent and i mean perfect  spread job .Gps and scales on spreader and spread pattern checked  . Just  Wait till the stand is established is what i would do. 

Jeff does a good job spreading at usual 2 ton.  Don't have scales so we go by historical weights of loads.  Haven't had the chance to spread any on new seedings before.

We'll just work around the small pile of chicken'nure until next year.  

Thanks,

Shelia

#5 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:48 PM

I wouldn't spread chicken manure on any crop, it's too corrosive, best to work it into the soil and spread it that way.

#6 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2192 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 06 November 2020 - 07:41 PM

We have spread 500 acres of emerging cover crop with turkey manure this week.  Running either 2 or 3 ton per acre depending on wether it will be beans or corn next year.

• Vol, endrow and RockyHill like this

#7 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1045 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 11:43 PM

I wouldn't spread chicken manure on any crop, it's too corrosive, best to work it into the soil and spread it that way.

We do spread broiler litter on our hay fields, does great.  Haven't had any left over litter for new seedings before.

Shelia

• endrow likes this

#8 DannyL

DannyL

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLA

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:40 PM

I have two 5 gallon buckets of aged chicken manure, and I would like to know the best way to use it in my garden.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors