Making a Living Baling Hay - Page 5 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 5

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Making a Living Baling Hay

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 05 November 2020 - 08:44 PM

Ya that’s a tricky question....it does add value to the hay, only because the hay is now easier to transport. However, It adds even more value to the operation.
  • siscofarms and r82230 like this

#82 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 11 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

I had a pull type stack wagon and liked it , even tho after it was in the barn it was a load by hand . But , it was a convinence , no extra money for actual hay , got more hay up in a day . So it was a advantage . BUT , I had 5k in stackwagon , not 80k , for a used one , in a balebaron . Only way I see it making money is by volume of hay . It may make a sale easier , and miss some because if I ever did that I would not bust bundles for the 5 bale at a time guy . Still would like to try one tho . It would pay , I think , in ways in labor , fuel , barn space .  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

• somedevildawg likes this

#83 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 11 November 2020 - 06:16 PM

I had a pull type stack wagon and liked it , even tho after it was in the barn it was a load by hand . But , it was a convinence , no extra money for actual hay , got more hay up in a day . So it was a advantage . BUT , I had 5k in stackwagon , not 80k , for a used one , in a balebaron . Only way I see it making money is by volume of hay . It may make a sale easier , and miss some because if I ever did that I would not bust bundles for the 5 bale at a time guy . Still would like to try one tho . It would pay , I think , in ways in labor , fuel , barn space .  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:  :confused:

Ya, we don’t bust bundles....but, we usually have some that may have had a mishap :( along the way and we store this separately for those customers. Still can’t get too excited about it, we probably sell 200-300 loose bales but not really by choice.
  • siscofarms likes this

#84 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:35 PM

Maybe completely off topic but since we are talking all this buisness , quality , price stuff , besides the obvious convienience , yet added cost , does a bale baron / bale bandit actually add any value to the hay , especially to a jockey ???????????

As a producer and a jockey I can assure you the packaging adds value, BUT not to every customer/account. When I made the switch I gained some customers and lost some strictly because of packaging. While I miss the relationships I built with those I no longer serve I am thankful I no longer have the joy of throwing 8 ton in their second story barn. There are better ways.
  • siscofarms and somedevildawg like this

#85 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 05 December 2020 - 04:35 PM

Not sure about your location but some water types are not best to be sprinkled onto the grass. For 30k you 100% could install subsurface drip and never have to move pods around. I have had kpods before they are work. If you are on sandy soils with gophers then I would reccomend biting the drip.deep enough you can use a gopher machine twice a year. The machine is about 1,000 and the bait for 100 acres would be less than $400 a year.

Sub surface irrigation must be cheap to buy and install over there. .... There is not a chance in hell of irrigating 100ac here for 30k...... Be more like 400k     ....... Even a pivot is 2000 per acre WITHOUT the motor and pump set and the piping.

#86 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 06 December 2020 - 08:36 PM

Being a bit dramatic on fuel prices, it would take signs of worldwide economic recovery to drive oil up.  I think we still have 1-2 years of depressed oil.  Anyways way outside the scope of this chat.

Yes, storage required even with delivery but with some stress and good tarps, parking for 800-1000 bales that doubles as winter storage area for equipment keeps me moving along.  We have a monster old dairy barn that will hold 10,000 bales but I hate to put more than 2000 or so bales in it for all the work to get them out.

We have same issue with leased fields, owners wanting no chemicals.  In that sense owning the ground is much better for ease of management.

Well, diesel fuel prices have jumped 60 cents per gallon in just a few months. There’s no wars, there’s no large natural disasters, no spike in demand. Very little has changed in the last 2 months.

Price at my fuel stop was 2.19/gallon about a month and a half ago. It’s now 2.79/gallon. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors