Sprayed Rezilon today - Page 2 - Weed and Pest Management - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Sprayed Rezilon today

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 15 November 2020 - 02:05 PM

Spray then wait until after a rain to burn.

#22 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 November 2020 - 05:33 PM

Spray then wait until after a rain to burn.

This is exactly right.  Once it gets a good rain it will be incorporated and burning will be fine at that point.  We have a data from out west, where wildfires are common, and it shows that burning is not detrimental once it is incorporated.

How is the ryegrass control looking?  

#23 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:18 PM

Thanks Broad River and Weedman! I don’t have a ryegrass issue. Did it for crabgrass. It really started to creep in on a couple of spots on the outside of my field.

We’ve had an almost killing frost. Only a tad of green bermuda left. Don’t really see anything growing right now.

#24 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 15 November 2020 - 07:42 PM

Ryegrass control appears to be great. I have food plot just across my road and it is very green from ryegrass. My Bermuda is still green but I don’t see any ryegrass in it. I took this photo to show how close I came to getting flooded. But you can see the ryegrass on the right side of the road and none in the Bermuda on the left.

Attached Files

#25 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:36 PM

Looking good.  Water did get up, didn’t it?  You could almost duck hunt that.

#26 Randy Litton

Randy Litton

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • LocationWaverly TN 37185

Posted 16 November 2020 - 02:18 AM

We have sprayed 80 acres of Bermuda grass hay fields, looking to reestablish after crab grass encroachment.  fields got away when rain kept us out and crab grass went to seed.  We sprayed Prowl H2O with no effect two years ago.  Rezilon  became label available this fall (2020) in Tennessee, and we jumped at the chance to reestablish a Bermuda mono-culture for volume and crude protein.  We are aware of the stated labeled control of fox-tail which is a concern for horse owners.

Bayer excerpt:"Rezilon herbicide has long-lasting residual activity for extended control of weeds throughout the season. For best results, it should be applied well before weed emergence." "For most effective control, the treated site should receive adequate irrigation or an activating rainfall (0.25-0.5 inches) within three weeks following application." "Wider application window:Applications can be started as early as August and into the following spring as a result of extended residual weed control."

We applied in November as the temperature decreased below 70 degrees F. to disrupt the crabgrass seed germination in the spring.  It is my understanding per emergents are active in the first four inches of soil, but have to contact the soil for seed germination control.  We aren't applying in January because our crabgrass can  and will form tillers in late January to early February and therefore require a post emergent for control of the crabgrass plant.  We will apply a post emergent when fescue begins to form tillers, before Bermuda grass green up (late March early April); we are waiting to allow the grass to be the cover crop for erosion damping from wind and water, rather than chemically burning the fields during the winter. We will till the field 4" depth in March as cool season tillers begin to emerge, then cultipack and spray post emergent on the emergent tillers to finish spring preparation for Bermuda emerging from dormancy. 

Extension services indicate per-emergents should be applied before the Forsythia plant blooms, at approximately 55 F ambient, early February 2020.  Yes, it got colder in March, but the soil was actively nurturing grass tillers.

We have applied post emergents in April, that stunt the first emergent Bermuda coming out of dormancy.  One reason we applied Rezilon in November is to have the per-emergence effect established before the Bermuda begins to run.  The topee effect will occur if the stolons can not put down roots as the grass grows beyond the parent plant coming out of dormancy, because the per-emergent that affects seed root formation hampers the Bermuda stolon root down.  

It is our intention cut on hay cycles of 21 days, weather permitting.  We have established Vaughan's Bermuda, a more cold tolerant variety.

This offering of our farms reasoning is to open discussion and request logic critique.  This may not be what you would do, but there was no manual to reference growing Bermuda grass hay where I live.

#27 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:09 PM

Randy, what rate did you use in November?  If only targeting the warm-season weeds, I am fine with this timing, but do recommend coming back with another application after your first cutting, dependent on what the Nov rate was.

you are correct in the lack of rooting by stolons in PRE applications, and Rezilon is no different.  We are doing research to determine the extent, but for now we only have it labeled for established stands.

With the weather we have now, I’ve seen several species we consider annuals to persist from one season to the next, primarily during these mild winters.  

#28 Randy Litton

Randy Litton

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 05:26 PM

Rezilon is labeled for 3 oz/Acre with 15 gal. water.  We applied 3 oz/Acre with 20 gal. water with boom sprayer.  We did not use sufactant, because we wanted the Rezilon to reach the ground, through two (2) inch stubble and not adhere to the plants.  Our stands are 4 year, 68 acre and 15 year, 12 acre.

We are planning on reapplying after 1 st cutting. We are looking for Bermuda canopy to shade the soil and with proper NPK we should crowd out the less desirable weeds.  We are looking at a two year application window to get the crabgrass under control; then reduce chemical input dependent on field results

#29 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:54 PM

I believe your strategy is sound as a strong stand helps reduce weeds through competition. However, crabgrass seeds can persist for many years, so you may have a long-term battle on your hands.

#30 Randy Litton

Randy Litton

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:31 PM

We are anticipating a two year plan to eradicate the crab grass seed germination in our fields.  We are subject to high water short floods that can re-populate the crab grass from up stream.  We manage the chemical input dependent on the fields requirements via observation; it's the only reason I own a smart phone, for the photo record.

#31 WindyDFarm

WindyDFarm

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationJunction City, Georgia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

I have been spraying with Prowl the last 3 to 4 years with little success against crabgrass, also spray Pastoria after the 2nd cut. I am concerned that a pre-emergent like Rezilon will stop my Coastal Bermuda and Russell Bermuda from spreading. I soil test and fertilized per UGA recommendations and does not look like my fields are producing larger yields and creating a canopy to prevent weeds. I’m in central GA were crabgrass and bahia are a problem producing horse quality hay.

#32 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 05:09 PM

I understand your concern, but let me ask you this.....why if you were achieving little control, did you continue to use Prowl? I don’t like using pre herbicides but I can attest to the effectiveness of Rezilon and the ineffectiveness of Prowl with regards to Italian Ryegrass. If Rezilon works as well with crabgrass as it does for IR, I believe it to be a winner. My hope is to discontinue after a couple of years.....see where I stand with regards to crabgrass.
Welcome to Haytalk windyfarm

#33 WindyDFarm

WindyDFarm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:36 PM

I bought this small farm 9 years ago the previous owner stopped spraying fields etc and bahia grass was starting to establish in areas along with sandburs. I got the bahia and sandburs under control but the crabgrass started roughly 4 years ago. I have sprayed Prowl 3 qts pa along with Roundup in the same spraying late February to help control the rye and to stop the CG from germinating. In 2019 sprayed 2qts pa of Prowl in February and 2 qts pa after 2nd cutting. So each year the crabgrass keeps spreading so I am wandering how effective the Prowl is and considered going Rezilon but concerned about getting to much of a herbicide in the ground to prevent germination of unwanted grass that it might start affecting my Russell/Coastal from spreading.

• somedevildawg likes this

#34 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:00 PM

You are definitely using the right herbicide for the mentioned weeds/burrs/grasses....Pastora is lights out on those.....however, it offers no control that I’ve seen on crabgrass. So far the reports I’ve seen and heard sound very promising for crabgrass control. Needs to be sprayed in February in most parts, earlier the better to catch moisture and migrate. I used Prowl H2O and achieved minimal results on IR and a little early season control of crabgrass but later cuts were infested. It’s pricey as well, I only used one year after that result. But I’m with you, I don’t like it (although I don’t have any data to suggest that I should worry) for long term applications.....but with crabgrass, I think you may be able to get erradication within a few years.....I am just spraying those areas where I’ve had problems before, not the entire field for the reasons stated. In the fall, I have to spray the entire field, otherwise it’s a ryegrass field.
  • broadriverhay likes this

#35 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 06:21 AM

I used Prowl also. If was afraid not to use it since while using it I still had IR and other weeds in the Summer. I figured if it was helping some and I stopped I would really have an issue if weeds got any worse. Hope that makes sense . The Rezilon has been lights out for IR , thank goodness. Price per acre about the same for Prowl an d Rezilon.

• somedevildawg likes this

#36 WindyDFarm

WindyDFarm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info that was the answers I was hoping to get, will plan on spraying rezilon next month. Between the rain, fertilizing, timing for spraying herbicides/insecticides and equipment it keeps a one person operation very busy.

#37 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 13 January 2021 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info that was the answers I was hoping to get, will plan on spraying rezilon next month. Between the rain, fertilizing, timing for spraying herbicides/insecticides and equipment it keeps a one person operation very busy.

You said a mouthful there WindyD.....and one of my most hated chores is spraying.

#38 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

Pastora will do a good job on crabgrass, but unfortunately I usually see it going out way too late.  It has to be young for best results.

Windy, I’m not too far from you.  I’d suggest getting your Rezilon out in the next 2-3 weeks to ensure it gets incorporated well, and with the warm weather we have been getting in February the last few years, better safe than sorry.

As to the Prowl, when I have seen it work, it was when it was put out as 2-3 qts before germination, then the remainder put out about 6 weeks later.  Honestly, it is very inconsistent from what I’ve seen and heard.  I heard a BASF rep say at a meeting that if you dont want to use at least 3 qts, he would rather you not use it.

#39 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:26 PM

Pastora will do a good job on crabgrass, but unfortunately I usually see it going out way too late.  It has to be young for best results.

Windy, I’m not too far from you.  I’d suggest getting your Rezilon out in the next 2-3 weeks to ensure it gets incorporated well, and with the warm weather we have been getting in February the last few years, better safe than sorry.

As to the Prowl, when I have seen it work, it was when it was put out as 2-3 qts before germination, then the remainder put out about 6 weeks later.  Honestly, it is very inconsistent from what I’ve seen and heard.  I heard a BASF rep say at a meeting that if you dont want to use at least 3 qts, he would rather you not use it.

Good point on Prowl H2O It can work well but most are not able or willing to spray it early enough.

#40 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Good point on Prowl H2O It can work well but most are not able or willing to spray it early enough.

Or enuf of it.....gets into the pocketbook fairly quickly

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors