Sprayed Rezilon today - Weed and Pest Management - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
* - - - - 2 votes

Sprayed Rezilon today

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:16 PM

Well, I finally got around to spraying my Rezilon today, sprayed 65 acres at 3oz to the acre. Won’t know the results for quite a while....I know the results of my bank account immediately tho :o it’s a pricey chemical. One thing you should be aware of....it’s a thick milky substance that doesn’t foam much so that’s good. However, you don’t want to let it sit for any length of time....mix it and spray it. I made the mistake of mixing about 200 gal in a 300 gal tank and went to get something to eat, came back 45 min later and it had started adhering to the inside of the tank....after spraying I had to really clean the tank to get as much of the “skin” out of the tank as possible. So, just be diligent about mix and spray....don’t dally around with this stuff.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#2 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:33 PM

Seems pricey but cost per acre about the same as Prowl H2O. I have been questioning Prowls effectiveness for some time now. I started spraying Rezilon about 2 months ago as I finished cutting different sections of my field. Yeah now just wait and see how it works. If it is half as good as they say we should be in good shape!!
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#3 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:34 PM

The adds are all over Haytalk for sure.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#4 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:02 PM

Ya, it’s one of those spray and hope deals....I usually don’t start seeing Italian ryegrass until late December, by February it’s everywhere.....that’s about the time I will spray my second application.
They are advertising heavily.....

#5 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:47 PM

I sprayed 30 acres about 2 weeks ago 3oz per acre and 40oz of msma had a few small spots of broom sage that had suckered out about 4 inches high. Plus some late season broadleafs field looks good today got my fingers crossed the rezilon works $1000 a gallon reminds me of when cadre came out, that was the only time I had a box worth $10000 in my truck!

#6 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:56 AM

Sounds like Relizon  does a very good job . I would have to do a little research before i would use it . Sounds like it is at least 22 months before you can replant anything .  

#7 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

Sounds like Relizon  does a very good job . I would have to do a little research before i would use it . Sounds like it is at least 22 months before you can replant anything .

It is....kinda puts a halt to oats/barley/rye grain crop during the winter. Bermuda grass, being a perinneal crop, is a good choice for using this product. The chemical has been available to pecan growers for a while. They are now buying Rezilon because it’s cheaper.....I don’t know why, same chemical and company, kinda like Cadre and Impose, Impose has gone up to match the price of Cadre now....
My hope is that after a couple of seasons, I can discontinue use (or rotate to another field) and plant forage oats.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#8 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:04 PM

I have Bermuda so if it works I will using it for a long time. There is a video about 2 hours long that gives a lot of info on Rezilon. I know it’s a sales pitch but really sounded good. The rye grass here is terrible. I’m still killing it with Glyphosate but some guys 10 miles away are having no luck killing it. They are loosing first cutting to ryegrass every year. I can’t afford that kind of lose and still meet my customer demands.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#9 weedman

weedman

• Members
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:52 PM

For everyone spraying now or in the last couple of weeks, make sure ryegrass hasn’t started germinating yet.  With the rain from the storms and cool air we have had from time to time, I have seen it up already,  some fields have some four inches now here in central alabama.  I’d add in 6-8 oz of roundup in those cases.  It won’t hurt bermuda much and it’ll come out fine next spring.

Pastora and Plateau are also options.  Plateau will give you some soil activity on ryegrass, which will help control germinated ryegrass or that that may be in the process and not emerged yet.

#10 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:05 PM

Nothing here yet....still have 40 acres to apply.

#11 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 04:23 PM

Yeah Weedman. Y’all preached early so I made that happen. I got mine the day after Meherrin received theirs in Ridge Spring. I sure hopes it works well. Thanks for your advice pertaining to the proper use .
  • somedevildawg and weedman like this

#12 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:34 AM

In the past when i said rye grass is a weed Haytalk members thought i was foolish . 

#13 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:42 AM

In the past when i said rye grass is a weed Haytalk members thought i was foolish .

It’s a real pest here.....cutting it does nothing, tough to spray it with Gly and kill it.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#14 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:44 AM

The cow guys here like it for volume. It is just junk in my book. If it starts to seed it is nothing more than straw after that. An animal will starve to death with a belly full of it. Guys over applying glyphosate have made it resistant. These idiots just spraying without calibrating and just dumping cheap glyphosate in the tank are out worst enemy. Then they want you to buy Restricted herbicides for them . Not happening!!!!

#15 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:07 AM

The problem with applying Gly is you’ll have to wait until BG is dormant if you’re going to spray enuf quantity to kill it, it’s very rare that we have a freeze and then have warm enuf temps (>60) during the day to be effective. It doesn’t take long for BG to re-emerge and green up. I have sprayed at 1qt pa with surfactant and it hasn’t dealt with the IR.....
If this stuff works, another quality cut will be the result, otherwise our first cut of grass is about 50/50 with IR straw....not what my horsey customers are seeking.
  • broadriverhay likes this

#16 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

It’s not good feed....just a filler.
  • broadriverhay likes this

#17 JOR Farm

JOR Farm

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Alabama

Posted 26 October 2020 - 08:45 AM

I agree, as soon as I get hay making weather I start cutting ryegrass to roll for cow hay but as soon as it gets a seed head hook to the square baler and it ends up blown beside a road that's getting repaved.

#18 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4256 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 31 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

Realize one thing before you spray . The products we are talking about some of them the residual is very real. Several years back in the area where I farm grass hay had a premium and farmers went out and rented it cheap or free and sprayed with these residual products and some places it worked great and other places the grass was poor and when they killed the weeds they had nothing . And then what ever you planted would not grow . Very sad story to see a farm having sterilized dirt  for several years . If you look at the label of those residual products it will tell you to take very seriously the future of this land and it will also tell you to never treat the whole parcel at once with these products .IMHO if you own it do as you please,,, if you rent it you do not have the right to spray a product that will determine the future use of this land .

#19 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9945 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 31 October 2020 - 05:11 AM

Realize one thing before you spray . The products we are talking about some of them the residual is very real. Several years back in the area where I farm grass hay had a premium and farmers went out and rented it cheap or free and sprayed with these residual products and some places it worked great and other places the grass was poor and when they killed the weeds they had nothing . And then what ever you planted would not grow . Very sad story to see a farm having sterilized dirt  for several years . If you look at the label of those residual products it will tell you to take very seriously the future of this land and it will also tell you to never treat the whole parcel at once with these products .IMHO if you own it do as you please,,, if you rent it you do not have the right to spray a product that will determine the future use of this land .

I don’t disagree with that, one should always be prudent when applying any herbicide with residual traits. It’s one of the reasons I don’t use Grazon....a very effective herbicide but just a possibility of too many unwanted future problems.
But in the southern states, Bermuda grass is our main hay making grass. It takes 2 years in most cases to establish a field and it’s quite expensive (sprigging vs seeding). For these reasons, a hayfield isn’t “turned around” very often. Once established, it will generally stay a hay field for quite some time (one of mine has been in hay for 30yrs) the land chosen is usually marginal at best (most all of our dirt is what y’all would call marginal) so the threat of rotation is really not that great. Hth

#20 HAYcorey

HAYcorey

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • LocationEvans, GA

Posted 15 November 2020 - 09:25 AM

I’ll be spraying the second application as recommended around Valentine’s Day on my bermuda hayfield. What are y’all’s thoughts on burning after it’s applied? Will definitely need to burn this year due to timing of last cut due to rain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors