https://www.desmoine...afo/5978405002/

#2 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3346 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 23 October 2020 - 08:41 PM

Kinda hard for me to feel sorry for the town.  One hog confinement they are worried about?  I’ve got more than 10,000 head of hogs within 2,000 feet of my house, and going out to a 1 mile radius there are some 27,000 head.  In addition to that, within that 1 mile radius there are somewhere around 5,000 head of cattle.  

• HayMike likes this

#3 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 828 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 24 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

I think the most telling thing in the article was that he offered to sell the land to the town or neighbors, but nobody was interested. They want to control the land, but not pay for the control. To me, the fight is about protecting that development groups profits from the property they purchased.
  • HayMike, somedevildawg, Troy Farmer and 2 others like this

#4 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:22 AM

I think the most telling thing in the article was that he offered to sell the land to the town or neighbors, but nobody was interested. They want to control the land, but not pay for the control. To me, the fight is about protecting that development groups profits from the property they purchased.

+1, my dad use to say "put your money, where your month is".  Seems like a an easy solution, town buys all the land around it. Rents it out on THEIR terms, maintaining COMPLETE control. 

Could tell the renter "you can't grow corn, because it blocks our view" to "you can't plant/harvest between 5pm and 9am and no weekends, because the noise, will awaken people".  As a few examples (possibly ridiculous rules to farmers, but not city folks).   The growing corn one is one that I actually had a landlord request ONCE.  For some reason, they didn't remain a landlord.  :cool:  

Larry

• Troy Farmer likes this

#5 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4195 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 24 October 2020 - 09:48 AM

I found that interesting as well

#6 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5306 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 24 October 2020 - 04:08 PM

On the other hand, we don’t know anything about the offer. He may have asked a pie in the sky price just to say he offered and then be able to blame them for turning it down.
  • Hayman1 likes this

#7 HayMike

HayMike

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • LocationWest of Akron Ohio

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:25 PM

This country was farmland and farm roads first.  The suburbs came much later.

#8 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1173 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:49 AM

Unfortunately, too many folks in America have this attitude:

Attached File  Farmers.jpg   11.48KB   2 downloads

• Vol, MScowman and somedevildawg like this

#9 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9792 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:52 PM

Thank God Brian Kemp came along.....can you imagine? We would all still be on lockdown.....well, most would :o

#10 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2991 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

Unfortunately, too many folks in America have this attitude:

attachicon.gifFarmers.jpg

After seeing the first gals pic apparently stupid must fall out of the gap in her teeth.

The second ones mother apparently raped a horse with teeth like that. Good Lord.
  • somedevildawg and r82230 like this

#11 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4195 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 26 October 2020 - 06:53 AM

I dont  know the answer but i think some of the concern in my  area is we can live near buy the standard  Comercial  hog or chicken or livestock/Dairy operation but the mega outfits will ruin the value of your property . In our County   near a  nice small town 12 layer units and 4 large hog units and several 3 unit broiler units all close together . The folks that live down wind of the prevailing breeze say it is overwhelming ,  just a bit to much . They could live with a couple of confinement units but not this many , Totally ruined the value of there property. Does the statement ,Tuff darts , farms were here first ,,,,,,This is country,,,,,,,apply here ??    

• somedevildawg likes this

#12 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10946 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 03 November 2020 - 01:53 PM

+1, my dad use to say "put your money, where your month is".  Seems like a an easy solution, town buys all the land around it. Rents it out on THEIR terms, maintaining COMPLETE control. 

Could tell the renter "you can't grow corn, because it blocks our view" to "you can't plant/harvest between 5pm and 9am and no weekends, because the noise, will awaken people".  As a few examples (possibly ridiculous rules to farmers, but not city folks).   The growing corn one is one that I actually had a landlord request ONCE.  For some reason, they didn't remain a landlord.  :cool:  

Larry

We’ve had the same, didn’t like when corn was planted as it blocked “the view”. Made sure we planted corn on the field that butted up behind them every chance we got.

#13 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 08 November 2020 - 08:33 PM

Larry

I see two problems. For a municipality to purchase land they must have money which comes in the form of taxes. So the question becomes are the surrounding citizens All willing to pay increased taxes for the land purchases. 

The second question would be all the renter provisions mentioned. You could make it so strict that no one can use the land. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors