Just knew harvest was going too well - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Just knew harvest was going too well

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:04 PM

Ran another load of beans to Claypool early Friday evening which is a 110 mile round trip, got home a little before 10 and Dad had left for the night which I thought was weird as wind was blowing and no signs of dew yet, usually he won’t quit till he plugs the machine several times or breaks something.

Left very early Saturday morning to deliver a boiler, when I got home found out why he had quit “early”. Bearings went out of the fan mount and sent it thru the radiator. $7700 from AGCO and is on backorder for an unspecified amount of time. Got it out and we’ll hit up the local radiator shops and see if any can recore it, if not will be looking for another radiator. Already called Worthington Ag and they have nothing, same with AllStates online.  If anybody has seen a MF9690/9790 in the salvage yards let me know. Will about have to be a cab fire, engine fire and radiator is gonna be crap, roll over and most likely radiator will be crap. 

50502798948_21acd2613e_w.jpgUntitled by Marty Lappin, on Flickr

#2 SCtrailrider

SCtrailrider

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Locationupstate South Carolina

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:16 PM

When it rains it pours.... hope ya have luck fixing it...

#3 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3340 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:18 PM

It’s a real long shot Marty but you could try calling both Van’s Implement of Hull IA and Franken Implement of Rock Valley IA.  Both sell Massey and have some pack rat tendencies.

#4 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

I suppose it could be worse, could be nice for the next 8-10 days, instead have chances of showers every day till next Tuesday.

• OhioHay likes this

#5 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:54 AM

Combine World has several. Radiator also fits in a 8780XP, 9790, several Challengers and Gleaners.

• OhioHay likes this

#6 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:00 AM

Local radiator  shop is “pretty sure” they can recore it.

I have the after cooler cut apart to straighten the mounting rail, local welding shop will TIG it back on

#7 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 09:19 AM

So, both the radiator and after cooler have these orange foam strips on em here and there to lock em in the framework, radiator shop has no ideal wha the material is or where to get it, AGCO doesn’t list it either. Reminded me of silicone heater hose when I first seen it, anybody have an ideal what it might be or more importantly where to get it?

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3747 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 22 October 2020 - 10:36 AM

So, both the radiator and after cooler have these orange foam strips on em here and there to lock em in the framework, radiator shop has no ideal wha the material is or where to get it, AGCO doesn’t list it either. Reminded me of silicone heater hose when I first seen it, anybody have an ideal what it might be or more importantly where to get it?

Marty, got a pic of what you're talking about?

Larry

#9 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 22 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Larry

Not atm, both the radiator and after cooler are still at Tough Guys, looks like foam rubber but has a “skin” on it so the flat parts are closed off where they sit in the frame and the radiator.

#10 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10898 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

I too am looking forward to an end to this hay season. Made a record amount of hay, but repairs are really stacking up. Was hoping to get ahead this year, but parts repairs whittling down gross profits. Have one more field to bale today and hesitant to bale it, knowing there’s a good chance something will break. 

#11 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:50 PM

I too am looking forward to an end to this hay season. Made a record amount of hay, but repairs are really stacking up. Was hoping to get ahead this year, but parts repairs whittling down gross profits. Have one more field to bale today and hesitant to bale it, knowing there’s a good chance something will break. 

That wasn’t an issue here, several fields only got made twice, never got enough rain after the second go around to be worth it.

#12 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 11:52 PM

Larry

When in doubt check Amazon, I bought some silicone “foam rubber”. About the same consistency as the OEM orange stuff. Was a real booger to get everything reassembled with new “rubber” strips in place.

• ttazzman likes this

#13 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:04 PM

Just keeps getting better. 

Our seasonal truck driver is out rest of the year after taking his Harley out for a ride the other night and swerving to miss a dog. Four broken ribs and a buggered up shoulder, he could drive any of the trucks and was pretty good in the grain cart as well. Other guy that helps is having sugar  issues again, he can run the grain cart or drive the straight trucks. Dad was supposed to have arthroscopic surgery on his wrist a week ago to free a trapped or pinched nerve, ended up damage was too much so they cut instead, so he’s got a hand in a cast. 

Been trying for the last three days to cut my last 55 acres of beans. Wasted most of a day stuck in Warsaw with two flat tires on the hopper bottom. Then wasted the last two days trying to figure out why the engine in the combine keeps throwing a Code 328, which isn’t bad, is a yellow code which means motor on but get it fixed asap, but then it throws a 329 and shuts down. I’m done with it, calling Cummins in the AM. I had 25cc’s of water drained out of the right knee and cortisone shot in end of last month and its screaming now. None of the fuel system is actually on the side of the motor you can actually get to, been climbing over the exhaust then down between the hopper and engine to work on it. Been in the easy chair the last few hours with my ole trusty friends the ice pack twins and a cold beer.

Only bright side I suppose is my new orthopedist says I can have a new right knee anytime I want it, least i suppose thats good? Better than having to wait 6-9 months like some countries I guess.

• Ox76 likes this

#14 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:54 PM

Keeps getting better, MF8160 took a huge dump today, engine runs but won’t move, no hydraulics either. Grain truck with 600 bushels of corn on it was able to drag the front end around and get it back in the field I just pulled out of. Spent most of the day getting one of the articulated Whites around to put on the cart. 

To top things off, I think there is a new strain of the Kung Flu going around, doesn’t show any symptoms at all except it slowly turns peoples brains to shit. Cousin was driving his pickup following my Dad, have no ideal why, but the guy behind him decided to pass while my cousin was turning left. The other moron thought my cousin had his right turn signal on which doesn’t matter anyways when it was on a blind corner at a intersection with a double yellow. I was taught you DO NOT PASS. Cousin swung right hard and saved his truck mostly but the other idiot stuffed his in the ditch and jack knifed his trailer which wiped the side of the truck out for him, of course it was a horse trailer of all things. Thankfully no nags in it, not that I’m a huge horse fan but a dumb animal shouldn’t suffer because their owners have shit for brains.

• JD3430, Wethay and paoutdoorsman like this

#15 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 09:12 PM

Well at least the $1400 accumulator took care of the engine code on the bean combine. Actually just a solenoid that I took off the new module and installed on the old took care of the codes. Core charge is $250 for it but we are keeping it just for the spare parts that can’t be bought separately.

Insurance adjuster totaled the cousins truck out btw.

• JD3430 likes this

#16 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 19 November 2020 - 07:44 AM

To top things off, I think there is a new strain of the Kung Flu going around, doesn’t show any symptoms at all except it slowly turns peoples brains to shit. Cousin was driving his pickup following my Dad, have no ideal why, but the guy behind him decided to pass while my cousin was turning left. The other moron thought my cousin had his right turn signal on which doesn’t matter anyways when it was on a blind corner at a intersection with a double yellow. I was taught you DO NOT PASS. Cousin swung right hard and saved his truck mostly but the other idiot stuffed his in the ditch and jack knifed his trailer which wiped the side of the truck out for him, of course it was a horse trailer of all things. Thankfully no nags in it, not that I’m a huge horse fan but a dumb animal shouldn’t suffer because their owners have shit for brains.

I know it's not funny, but this had me laughing this morning.  Keep that strain of flu out there if you can Marty!

• mlappin likes this

#17 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 06:29 PM

That $1400 accumulator also had a Remanufactured in Mexico sticker on it which doesn’t fill me with warm fuzzies at all. 

Finished my beans today finally, started cutting in September. Looks Like I’m gonna average a little better than 52BPA. I’ll take it, a few guys on the real light ground that missed a few rains we had were talking 5 bpa on the hilltops and the low spots barely broke 20. One of these years they’ll learn to quit plowing and working that sand into a powder before planting it I’d think. Probably not though, I used to have a friend that plowed his muck every spring, come fall when I’d help him chop silage we were either dragging wagons thru 8” of powder or slop.

#18 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10932 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Finished Dads corn last night at 7pm. been running it thru the dryer today. Got wet enough today that I think he may just haul 5-10 thousand bushels to the ethanol plant while the price is up and to make room for my last 125 acres.

• paoutdoorsman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors