• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 10:21 PM

Hello,

Just last year I switched from making small squares bales to making round bales.  I have had a JD530 baler for a few years but never used it so I thought I would pull it out of retirement.  After some trial and error and making some adjustments from recommendations made by people on this forum, I made about 70 round bales with it.  The bales looked and felt decent.  Then my neighbor had some health issues and I ended up putting up his hay for him.  So happens he has a JD 6415 tractor and a JD569 baler.  Holy cow that was a fun baler to run.  He let me use his baler to put up the rest of my hay as well so my JD530 sat out the rest of the season.

Now I have noticed that the twine on the 70 bales I made with the JD530 is falling off of the edges of the bales.  Looks like I did not fill the bale edges very well. I have a White American 80 4wd tractor and the wheels will not move out far enough to avoid driving on the windrow when trying to fill the edges of the bale chamber.  Now my question.  I am guessing that driving on the windrow is not preferred but is it possible to make good bales while driving on the windrow when filling the edges of the bale?

Thanks for your time, John.

#2 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:04 AM

I assume the baler is not bringing the twine too close to the ends of the bale while tying.

The baler should easily pick up that driven on hay as long as the tines are low enough to penetrate the stubble.

Making a good bale has more to do with even filling of the baler, in order to do that one must constantly weave left/right while

straddling the windrow, its what I do to ensure uniform bales.

• ozarkian likes this

#3 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:47 AM

IMHO a 5ft baler requires a better baler operator than a 4 ft wide baler. I've seen more 5 ft wide "whiskey barrel shaped" rd bales than 4 ft wide bales.  Most of my rd baling experience is utilizing 4 ft wide balers although many yrs ago I have demonstrated a few 5 ft wide balers. I'll guess a JD 569 is much easier to make a good/level bale compared to a JD 530 due improved pickup on latter model & no need for converging wheels. I know my JD 467 males a more level bale easier than the previous models including the model 430. 

Does your 530 have converging wheels? Thankfully with the newer wide & Mega-wide pickup attachment on JD's later models such as my 467 & your neighbors 569 converging wheels aren't needed, The more level the bales are with firmly filled sides the better twine will remain on bale & not slide off. Another possibility is twine guides on your 530 need adjustment.

Unless ground is wet I think driving on edge of windrow isn't a problem especially if it's grass being baled. I think driving on a windrow of a legume crop would not be a good idea,

• ozarkian and somedevildawg like this

#4 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I did adjust the twine guide rods and I thought the twine was going onto the bale far enough.  Maybe I can see if I can bend them a little more but from what I remember, the rods were bent out about as far as possible without interfering with the twine arm.  My 530 does not have converging wheels.  That is a very pricey option from the dealer.  I will keep an eye out over the winter and maybe come across a set. Alfalfa is my main crop.

#5 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Can you post a few photos of bales that you made with your 530? Yes converging wheels are an expensive option but do help baler operator fill the edges of bales more firm.  Is twine coming off 1 or both ends of the bale?  I suggest to check with baler salvage yard for used converging wheels. 

#6 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9658 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

I couldn’t imagine 5’ wide round bales of alfalfa down here......that’s a unicorn for sure.

#7 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:28 AM

I have photos of the first bales I made and I did post one of those and you made some helpful twine tension suggestions.  The last bales I made (after twine guide rod adjustments) are at a different neighbors house.  I made about 10 bales for him just to see if my adjustments made a difference. I will go take some pictures of these latest bales later today. 

#8 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:36 AM

Another ""wild idea of mine"" would be attempting to mount a later model wide pickup attachment on your 530. 

My thought from viewing the photo you posted earlier is that as I thought you need to crowd edge of windrow more & converging wheels will help that occur.

#9 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3643 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 18 October 2020 - 09:04 AM

I'll be an odd man out here (don't remember seeing your photo), being I bale with a 5' baler (alfalfa too).  Here's what I do. I rake a windrow that's 30" - 32" wide, then feed each side the baler.  Important to drive straight for a ways then move to other side quickly, then drive straight with the windrow for a ways.  See attached page 4 for diagram on proper weaving.  A 5'+ wide windrow wouldn't get dry fast enough in MY area or I'd be only raking stems together if I waited until it was dry enough to bale.  YMMV

Hint: thanks to Mike10, I deliberately feed the left side the baler more, to compensate for the bias operators seem to have of over filling the right side of RB.  :cool:

Larry

PS if you don't want to learn how to weave, see second attachment, where the baler does the work for you. ;)

#10 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8528 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:22 AM

I couldn’t imagine 5’ wide round bales of alfalfa down here......that’s a unicorn for sure.

Opposite here,bigger the better.Guys worrying about shipping are going more to Lg sqrs.

I do sell more 4' netwrap closer to the Twin Cities area thought.

#11 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8528 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:25 AM

IMHO a 5ft baler requires a better baler operator than a 4 ft wide baler. I've seen more 5 ft wide "whiskey barrel shaped" rd bales than 4 ft wide bales.  

The rake operator is probably more important then the baler operator with 5' bales.

• mlappin, Tx Jim and Cantrellc123 like this

#12 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

I agree if windrow is as wide or a little wider than the baler & relatively flat works for my 467. That's one of the reasons I like my H&S hi-cap rake. A well formed windrow makes operating a rd baler & forming level bales much easier. BUT If the windrow is 1/2 to 3/4 width of hay baler then it takes a very good baler operator to make a level bale & IMHO in these circumstances 5 ft wide balers are more difficult to make a level bale than 4 ft wide balers

• swmnhay likes this

#13 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8528 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:20 PM

I agree if windrow is as wide or a little wider than the baler & relatively flat works for my 467. That's one of the reasons I like my H&S hi-cap rake. A well formed windrow makes operating a rd baler & forming level bales much easier. BUT If the windrow is 1/2 to 3/4 width of hay baler then it takes a very good baler operator to make a level bale & IMHO in these circumstances 5 ft wide balers are more difficult to make a level bale than 4 ft wide balers

whats worse is you get to a guys place to bale and he made a rope of a windrow thats 1.5' wide.I went home and got my V rake one time and raked 2 windrows together to make it much easier to bale.

• mlappin likes this

#14 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 02:15 PM

I agree I absolutely refuse to bale behind someone else's raking.

• mlappin likes this

#15 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone for the input and thanks Mr. r82230 for the light reading material.  I will take a look.

Thanks Tx Jim. That would be a wild idea of mounting a wider pickup on my baler.  Also, I went to the neighbor's house and no luck getting a photo.  He already fed the bales.  I will look a little harder for a set of used converging wheels.  Never know, may stumble across a bargain before haying season.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but I do not have a rake.  I have always used a NH 166 inverter and it picks up the 5' wide windrow from the Macdon 5000 swather and leaves a 5' wide inverted windrow for the most part.  I only have about 40 acres of alfalfa hay ground and two cuttings, so the slower inverter has been working fine. It is also why I have all of this old equipment.  Hard to justify any big expense or upgrades and I do have a full time job that supports my haying hobby.  I just like making hay and this keeps me out of trouble.

• Tx Jim and Jsholman like this

#16 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:28 AM

Which side of bale is twine falling off the bale??

I really think the Mega-wide pickup could be retrofitted to older modal JD rd balers. Baler salvage yard should have every thing needed for swap. The one problem that would need addressed would be going from belt drive to chain drive.  I checked the same starter roll that powers pickup attachment that fits 567 also fit 535 & I'll bet 530 has same length/size hex shaft.  If you ever rd baled a correct width windrow with a baler with MWPU you would think you died & gone to Heaven!  The small augers on each side of MW pickup in conjunction with wider than bale chamber windrow really aid in firming up the sides of hay bales  :D

Converging wheels help fill sides of older balers but did I state I really dislike JD converging wheels & really like JD MWPU?? :rolleyes:

#17 Havoc

Havoc

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:27 AM

From what I remember, those last 10 bales looked good right after baling in July.  I drove by those same bales in September and that is when I noticed that the twine was migrating to the edges of some bales but not all of them. After this discussion, I think it was just operator error.  In my head, I was having a hard time driving on the windrow.  Next year I will give it another try and force myself to stay on the windrow. 

Any idea how much a new set of converging wheels would cost in your area?  I think our local JD dealer quoted me a price of just over $2,000 for a new set.  That is a really expensive option to put on this old baler.  I was hoping to find a used set much cheaper but no luck so far.

#18 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4142 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:59 AM

Call Kaddatz Equip 254-582-3000. He has several salvage JD rd balers

#19 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8528 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:45 PM

There was a after market co that used to advertise on here that sold them.Can't think of the name off hand

#20 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8528 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 19 October 2020 - 03:47 PM

found them http://www.besthaysaver.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors