1 question survey - how do you store hay - Page 3 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 3

Photo
- - - - -

1 question survey - how do you store hay

hay storage hay barn tarp

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 RockmartGA

RockmartGA

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Georgia

Posted 27 October 2020 - 11:18 AM

Maybe the follow-up question should be "How NOT to store hay".   LOL

Small squares:   Stored under shed, gravel floor, put 6 mil plastic down as vapor barrier and then stack hay on plastic pallets.

I'll never use wooden pallets again.   Wood acts as a wick for moisture, especially if in direct contact with ground.  

If you tarp hay, be careful not to create a "moisture trap".   Need to create a space to allow for air flow.

• JD3430, Bgriffin856 and lcjaynes like this

#42 HayMike

HayMike

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationWest of Akron Ohio

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:56 PM

SS on asphalt, inside barn, dumped from Stackcruiser.  9-10K.  Only touch them to load out.

• lcjaynes likes this

#43 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 28 October 2020 - 06:18 PM

Maybe the follow-up question should be "How NOT to store hay".   LOL

Small squares:   Stored under shed, gravel floor, put 6 mil plastic down as vapor barrier and then stack hay on plastic pallets.

I'll never use wooden pallets again.   Wood acts as a wick for moisture, especially if in direct contact with ground.  

If you tarp hay, be careful not to create a "moisture trap".   Need to create a space to allow for air flow.

Wood pallets may be only a bit better than just storing them directly on some high, well drained ground. As you said, they wick moisture and start the bale molding on the bottom. They also put nasty looking indentations on the bale which looks REAL good to your buyers.  :lol:

If using a pallet, plastic pallets are the way to go. 

• lcjaynes likes this

#44 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 29 October 2020 - 12:47 AM

So far I'm storing mine in the paddock....with no string around it....just raked up 45ac yesterday that's already been rained on 3 times. Turned it again midday. Went to bale it and of course a random cloud saw me didnt it. Ffs. 

• JD3430 and Ox76 like this

#45 clowers

clowers

• Members
  • 425 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 29 October 2020 - 11:13 PM

Hay Diddle diddle hang in there and keep the reports from down under coming.

• lcjaynes and Hay diddle diddle like this

#46 Hay diddle diddle

Hay diddle diddle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • LocationAus

Posted 01 November 2020 - 04:09 AM

Not every year can be a winner.  Rained twice more since then. Tedded all out today.  More to cut. Some might not get baled at all yet.  Just one of those years...

• lcjaynes and Ox76 like this

#47 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 01 November 2020 - 08:25 AM

We had years in the past where we just couldn't get the stuff baled sometimes.  Ended up going along windrow with forage chopper with chute pointed up in the air as high as it would go and just chopping it up and blowing it back for the soil.  What a waste of everything...except a little mulch value...

• lcjaynes likes this

#48 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10989 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 09 November 2020 - 09:48 PM

Stored inside hoop buildings, stacked on ends on pallets that sit on 6-8 inches of railroad rock. If pallets are freezing down then its time for a layer of ‘top rock’ so their is no organic matter for the pallets to stick to.

• lcjaynes likes this

#49 LsHay

LsHay

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2020 - 08:39 PM

Where do you get plastic pallets?

#50 hayray

hayray

Hay Master

• Members
  • 548 posts
  • LocationSoutheast (Brighton), Michigan

Posted 27 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

Small squares and rounds stored outside stacked at the point of bailing six mill plastic put down fold plastic up over the bottom layer then stack on top of that and then tarp again with six mill plastic keeping the ends open for air I’ll never waste money stacking in a barn again. Have three bail baskets going one guy stacking only stacking up over two levels what he can reach keeps up with the Baler I pay the one guy $30 an hour he does what I used to do with a 8 man crew going in a barn
. 50 foot ratchet straps are laid down before the bottom layer of plastic is put down and then that is tossed and wrapped up over the top layer of plastic
  • Vol, lcjaynes and Ox76 like this

#51 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 28 November 2020 - 07:46 AM

Where do you get plastic pallets?

I got them off sellers on CL. Found a local guy who worked at a chemical company that got their shipments on plastic pallets. I probably bought 100 from him over the years. He would bring home like 10 at a time in his truck and call me to come get them. 
I paid him $6 each. 
Worth a lot more to me. Really easy to toss around anywhere you need to get those nice feed bales off the ground.  :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay storage, hay barn, tarp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors