1 question survey - how do you store hay - Page 2 - Alfalfa/Hay - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

1 question survey - how do you store hay

hay storage hay barn tarp

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OhioHay

OhioHay

Hay Master

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • LocationEast Central, Ohio

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:01 AM

Big squares and rounds. All in pole barns or hoop barns. Only hay left outside is baleage in tubes.
  • lcjaynes likes this

#22 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1350 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

Mostly small squares here.  All stored in old dairy bank barns, both hand stacked in the mows and bundles on the center floors.  Occasionally some 3x3's, also stacked/stored on the center floors.

• lcjaynes likes this

#23 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1026 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

That was a little 1st cutting, here some 3rd & 4th cuttings (RB are 1st).

Learning how to stack, slowly (old dog, trying to learn a new trick ;) ).

Larry

I'm even more impressed! :)

• lcjaynes likes this

#24 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:01 AM

Large and small squares get stored in hay shed, big rounds (wet and dry) get tube wrapped in plastic.
  • lcjaynes likes this

#25 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4301 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:20 AM

Wet or dry all hay for the dairy gets wrapped. We own 

old bank barns each  3 drive in bays and a hay mow on each end  . Those get smalls in the mows and Straw on the drive in bays .Have a 50x100FT Hay barn for 3x8 big squares . It is not enough storage for a season we sell some all summer so it will fit

• lcjaynes likes this

#26 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2698 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:50 AM

Only small squares now.  I try to move as much as possible from field to customer without taking it out of the kicker wagon.  Just pull to customer and leave till empty.  Best stacking ever.  What i do store is in closed sheds with 6 " gravel base with used used quarry conveyor mats/belts about like stall mats on the gravel base and pallets above the mat.  Stack on edge.  When I also did rounds they were stored in 3 sided sheds with black plastic over stone base with pallets above the plastic.  Three high, two on flat edge, top one on round.  Work too hard for quality to store anything outside, if i don't have storage, and can't move it, I don't make it.

• lcjaynes likes this

#27 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15647 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 15 October 2020 - 10:54 AM

Small squares and round bales are stored inside on plastic pallets in various buildings. 

Regards, Mike

• lcjaynes likes this

#28 lcjaynes

lcjaynes

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 15 October 2020 - 03:09 PM

Thank you EVERYONE. The ingenuity it takes to make any system work is laudable. We have so many different weather patterns and landscapes and facilities across the country that no single way works for everyone - unless of course you have endless $$ to spend. I so appreciate your input. Many thanks.

• Vol, Shetland Sheepdog, somedevildawg and 4 others like this

#29 vhaby

vhaby

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationNE of Tyler, TX

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:04 PM

Better late than never-

Round bales are stored in a 50 x 100 ft metal barn on crushed concrete floor, two high on ends, then one row on top of those on the round side. Small square alfalfa bales stored on cut edge ten bales wide and seven bales high on wood pallets placed on plastic sheeting that is laid on crushed concrete floor in a small area of the metal barn. I usually try to fill the barn with rounds, but if I over produce, the excess rounds are stored end-to-end in rows about two feet apart in a fenced orchard and these are fed first. I feed 1.5-yr-old hay from opposite ends of the barn each winter, having stored sufficient rounds to last two winters should a drought prevent hay production in any one year.

• somedevildawg, Tx Jim, lcjaynes and 1 other like this

#30 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 10015 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:15 PM

Good to hear from you Vincent!

#31 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4381 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:14 AM

It amazes me the number of bales I see that my neighbors store under TREES. They don't realize that storing under trees concentrates rain drops & drastically slows the rained on hay drying process IF rained on bales ever dry under the shade of the trees!!!!

• vhaby and lcjaynes like this

#32 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 16 October 2020 - 07:27 AM

It amazes me the number of bales I see that my neighbors store under TREES. They don't realize that storing under trees concentrates rain drops & drastically slows the rained on hay drying process IF bales ever dry!!!!

Out of necessity I used to store some RB under trees (before I built my hay shed).  And I didn't necessarily see the damage.  Seems there is two sides of the story to deal with.  One side is the fact you are speaking of (shade, drying time).  It might be slower drying in the shade, but then you also have to factor in the umbrella effect of some rain is diverted to the outside of the tree.  So less rain reaches the bale.  Along with the fact that a lot of RB moisture is wicked up from the bottom of the bale (see attached article from Hay & Forage).  Once again, the ground under a tree is usually much dryer than ground outside the drip line.

This doesn't mean that storing under a tree works in ALL cases, but in mine it did.  Now, realize that these bales would be used before any spring rains also. YMMV

The attached article also makes a case for building a storage building.  You are paying for it, without realizing (having) it with outside storage. :o

Larry

Attached Files

• vhaby, Tx Jim and lcjaynes like this

#33 SVFHAY

SVFHAY

• Members
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationWestern Pa.

Posted 16 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

Small squares in bundles stored in 2 steel frame sheds, a old bank style barn and a few van trailers.

Unknown to me I had a bundle stored outside all summer. My daughter failed to load one that was down off a hill in the corner of a field 2 miles away. It turns out this is a poor choice even though it was under tress and unusually dry the last few months.
  • somedevildawg and lcjaynes like this

#34 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4381 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:59 AM

This doesn't mean that storing under a tree works in ALL cases, but in mine it did.  Now, realize that these bales would be used before any spring rains also. YMMV

. :o

Larry

Larry

Below is an excerpt from near the bottom of article you posted.  I'll still choose to store my rd bales under the sunshine not a tree.  Ii think storing hay under trees is more detrimental to condition of hay than if rows are aimed North/South vs East/West.

PS: Seeing that I'm in the twilight of any need to store hay indoors I'll forego building a covered hay storage facility. :P

Attached Files

#35 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8662 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 17 October 2020 - 06:40 AM

In rows with a gap between rows in the fields.Some of my customers are closer to my fields so it makes no sense to haul home and then haul back later.

if hay is baled on wet side I leave gaps between bales also for the bales to dry also.The hay is treated then also.Have found out I can really push the moisture window doing this.

• lcjaynes likes this

#36 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 26 October 2020 - 10:48 AM

4x5's inside here.  

Attached Files

• lcjaynes likes this

#37 ttazzman

ttazzman

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • LocationSW MO

Posted 26 October 2020 - 01:55 PM

SS for sale in barn on gravel/pallets @ ground level....SS for use elevator to barn loft........rounds wet or dry wrapped outside

• lcjaynes likes this

#38 JD3430

JD3430

“Not a real farmer” farmer

• Members
  • 10999 posts
  • LocationBANANA REPUBLIC of America

Posted 26 October 2020 - 05:52 PM

Quality round bales stored in hoop building, Second grade bales stored on rock pad.

attachicon.gifIMG_2280.JPG

Ralph

Same here. This year, 200 RBs inside and 1500 RBs outside. 

#39 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 368 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 26 October 2020 - 07:54 PM

I have a few hundred 4x5.5s and had about 1k SS inside the barn and under the eves. Then another few hundred rounds outside under tarps and some single file rows. Hay under roof gets saved and sold, outside and tarped hay fed to my cattle.
  • JD3430 likes this

#40 Bgriffin856

Bgriffin856

Amateur Dairyman

• Members
  • 1637 posts
  • LocationNorthwest, PA

Posted 27 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Put two layers of round bales stacked on end in the big haymow. Stack around 2500 small squares on top usually the better hay that can be fed to the milking herd. The haymow of the older bank barn it's connected to usually gets stacked with round bales of good quality hay for youngstock. The rest of the youngstock hay is stacked outside and covered with plastic weighted down with tires and what's left gets set outside and is usually fed first and usually fed up before mid December

Attached File  IMG_20200702_193540831.jpg   107.51KB   1 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20200812_142749876.jpg   149.64KB   1 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hay storage, hay barn, tarp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors