Best Single Rotary Rake - Page 2 - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
- - - - -

Best Single Rotary Rake

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:19 AM

Kuhn single rotary works well for us.

#22 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:33 AM

Get a good used double, center delivery if possible. Krone gets my vote, but they’s a lot of good un’s. I always look used tho.....
The only problem with a single is speed......

There may not be a speed issue with a single pending what is already being used. We were running a Kuhn GA6000 18' and added the Pequea 13' to our line up. When we took the Pequea out on custom jobs the first year the difference in raking time when comparing previous bills was negligible.

The difference we feel was 4 sets of tines per arm compared to 3. In rough ground not having 2 rotors bouncing around. We spent a lot of time researching trying to find the right size but not lose anything in the process. Paid off found a new leftover for $8600 after receiving a quote for $12,xxx several years prior and got it shipped to my local dealer free of charge due to them joining the same chain of stores I'm now part of.

#23 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:29 PM

I looked at a Krone 42T today. I was much heavier built than the Claas

#24 Josh in WNY

Josh in WNY

• Members
  • 1037 posts
  • LocationGowanda, NY

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 PM

I picked up a Pequea HR1140 this spring (a used one) and have been very happy with it.  It's our first rotary rake, so I don't have much advice one way or the other.  One thing that was a big concern for me was matching up the rake width with my mower.  We run a JD 13' center pivot MoCo, so a smaller rotary rake wouldn't catch all the swath and move it to fresh ground.  The HR1140 is a wider rake that allows this.  Just something to keep in mind when looking around.

#25 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 337 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

I ran an early model Pequea HR1140 over a couple thousand acres. Once I added a brace to the top of the rotor shaft (comes factory on the newer models) I had no real problems with it.
  • broadriverhay likes this

#26 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:58 PM

I have a 630 Moco, so a 10-11 ‘ rake will work by what is being said. I ted all my hay about 3 times since I am in the South with the high humidity and on bottom land and usually have heavy dew each morning. So with that being said cutter width and rake width should not really matter I don’t think.
  • Troy Farmer, Hayman1 and r82230 like this

#27 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2628 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted Yesterday, 05:00 PM

I have a 630 Moco, so a 10-11 ‘ rake will work by what is being said. I ted all my hay about 3 times since I am in the South with the high humidity and on bottom land and usually have heavy dew each morning. So with that being said cutter width and rake width should not really matter I don’t think.

just keep in mind that the stated width of the rake includes the part out from the rotor to the skirt.  If you include that, it leaves part of the formed windrow unflipped which I personally don't like.  I always rake clean to the outside so tedded hay is completely flipped by the rake.  Hope that makes sense.  

I do agree with your statement that since you typically ted 3x which i do as well, cutter width is pretty irrelevant to the equation.  Really becomes a matter of available funds and your absolute need to finish faster.

• r82230 likes this

#28 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted Today, 05:45 AM

I usually Ted right in front of the rake. My issue is usually volume . Funds are not the issue , getting the correct size rake is. I would like to flip all the hay when raking but with it just being tedded that should not be an issue.

#29 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted Today, 06:32 AM

just keep in mind that the stated width of the rake includes the part out from the rotor to the skirt.  If you include that, it leaves part of the formed windrow unflipped which I personally don't like.  I always rake clean to the outside so tedded hay is completely flipped by the rake.  Hope that makes sense.  

I do agree with your statement that since you typically ted 3x which i do as well, cutter width is pretty irrelevant to the equation.  Really becomes a matter of available funds and your absolute need to finish faster.

Depends on manufacturer and the specs they use. If you can find clean sweep specs that will not include the curtain. Some list working width which can include the curtain width and sometimes not. When I was researching for my single rotor and was looking at rakes that were rebranded I was utilizing multiple "manufacturer" sites to clarify the specs. Some it seems absolutely do not want to show clean sweep almost like they want their rake to be "bigger" than it really is.

#30 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10802 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted Today, 07:11 AM

I have the Claas single and it’s a really good, heavy tough rake. My mulch hay fields are terribly rough and it just chugs along. All that said I wish I had bought the Krone because it has the quick fold arms. I hate disassembling the rake and storing the arms when traveling OTR. 
I didn’t see the folding arm feature on the Krone because I only looked at Claas, NH and Pequea.
Wish there was a single rake that hydraulically “folded up” so road transport was quicker & easier.

The Krone single rake is the closest thing to that with the folding arms. 

#31 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3603 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted Today, 08:19 AM

I usually Ted right in front of the rake. My issue is usually volume . Funds are not the issue , getting the correct size rake is. I would like to flip all the hay when raking but with it just being tedded that should not be an issue.

Being you are tedding, then raking you very well could be correct.  Now, if you let hay settle (like over night or more), that could be a different story, at least in MY case it was.

I experimented one year with a couple times around a 9 acre field, not moving all the hay.  The hay was tedded once, right after cutting.  Two windrows were made without moving all the 1st cutting hay (2nd year of new seeded alfalfa).   I didn't like what I seen left, so I ran the rake around the field after baling. Then baled up the missed hay, 5 more idiot bricks, that were mainly stems, were recovered. :o  Needless to say, I haven't repeated that experiment.  ;)  YMMV

Larry

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

jlars

× Sponsors