• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:21 AM

Hey guys , I'm looking at purchasing a single rotary rake this Winter. Which manufacturer gets yall's vote ? This should start some good discussion. 

#2 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:51 AM

Spending your money is our favourite pastime :D

Let me go get the Popcorn!

• somedevildawg, PaulN and r82230 like this

#3 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:19 AM

Hey broadriverhay, I've been using Krone and like their build quality, and functionality.

• somedevildawg likes this

#4 Trotwood2955

Trotwood2955

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 485 posts
  • LocationAugusta County, VA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 08:38 AM

We’ve run a Kuhn 4221 over ~250 acres/year for the last 7 years and really like it. Other than having to weld one small stress crack on the curtain hinge frame once the only thing we’ve done to it is normal greasing. It is right hand delivery, which I like, compared to the other brands that I believe are all left hand. This is the only rotary I’ve run so no firsthand experience with other brands. The Krone, Claas, and Pequea seem to be highly regarded though. Some of the earlier Pequea rakes had some issues I believe, but gather that has been straightened out. I heavily considered both a Krone and Pequea before we bought our Kuhn. I liked all of them it just came down to best price I could get at the time plus again a slight edge for me went to the right hand delivery.
  • Vol and somedevildawg like this

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3603 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

When I was shopping double rotary rake only Kuhn and NH had right hand delivery.  IDK if NH has a right hand delivery in the single that Kuhn has.  As Trot mentions I wanted a right hand delivery also.  But a lot of folks get along with the left hand delivery too.  :cool:

How much budget do we have to spend of 'your' money BTW?  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:

Larry

#6 KNFarm

KNFarm

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationAllenton, Wisconsin

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:28 AM

I've been happy with my Pottinger TOP421.  It's robust and it has the extra jockey wheel that helps it to follow the terrain. 

#7 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4141 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 12 October 2020 - 12:26 PM

We’ve run a Kuhn 4221 over ~250 acres/year

Used one of those on a couple thousand acres.Works very well

#8 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:31 PM

This is the only piece of equipment I am looking at so no real budget has been set.  I have a Pequea tedder but have not heard of anyone using their rakes on Haytalk. Can anyone explain why one would prefer left or right hand delivery?  Also I see some have curved tines and some have straight tines. Anyone seen a difference in performance with either ?

#9 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 951 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 12 October 2020 - 01:58 PM

The only thing

This is the only piece of equipment I am looking at so no real budget has been set.  I have a Pequea tedder but have not heard of anyone using their rakes on Haytalk. Can anyone explain why one would prefer left or right hand delivery?  Also I see some have curved tines and some have straight tines. Anyone seen a difference in performance with either ?

The only thing I can think of is that those people are raking clockwise and want to see the windrow made toward the centre of the field. IMO there is no right or wrong way.

#10 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5276 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 03:04 PM

The only thing
The only thing I can think of is that those people are raking clockwise and want to see the windrow made toward the centre of the field. IMO there is no right or wrong way.

That and simply preferring the discharge side to be the same side as the tractor controls.
  • somedevildawg and Snow Farmer like this

#11 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 04:43 PM

Also I see some have curved tines and some have straight tines. Anyone seen a difference in performance with either ?

I've had an older 42T with straight tines, and the current one I have has the updated curved tines.  I honestly don't notice a difference, but I believe the curved tines are supposed to be better at lifting and carrying the crop.

#12 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice so far. I knew I could get some valuable info from everyone.
  • DSLinc1017 likes this

#13 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15463 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 12 October 2020 - 05:39 PM

I have a Pequea HR1140. I bought it new in 2012. I have had zero issues and it does an excellent job of raking and building a windrow. Mine is the new design gear case that replaced the one that had many issues. 

Regards, Mike

#14 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2629 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:02 PM

Hey broadriverhay, I've been using Krone and like their build quality, and functionality.

Ditto.  Have a 38T

#15 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

Running a Pequea HRS15. Has been an excellent machine and like the adjustable cam. Curved tines 

Also have a Kuhn double rotor. Another excellent quality machine and it's old. Straight tines. Both left hand delivery and have never had experience with right hand delivery

#16 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3603 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:40 PM

This is the only piece of equipment I am looking at so no real budget has been set.  

Krone, being it's your money.  If it's built anything like their tedders, you'll have a tank. 

Larry

#17 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 12 October 2020 - 06:42 PM

I picked up a newer Kuhn ga 3200 at the start of the season. It’s the small one but I didn’t have to pay much. The guy was looking for a bigger one and was ready to move on. Fits my small operation and other small equipment. Nothing bad to say about it. Makes a real nice windrow. Perhaps the next size up would suit me down the road but this will do for now. Hydraulic lift would be a nice option at times.

#18 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9623 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:13 PM

Get a good used double, center delivery if possible. Krone gets my vote, but they’s a lot of good un’s. I always look used tho.....
The only problem with a single is speed......

#19 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 07:32 PM

The issue with a double center delivery will be the same issue I have with my 8 wheel rake rake. The baler can’t handle the large windrow well when I am baling 100 bales per acre. Once this year was 118 bales per acre. I cheat over and only use 6 wheels and still have huge windrows.
  • 8350HiTech and Trillium Farm like this

#20 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3603 posts

Posted 12 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

The issue with a double center delivery will be the same issue I have with my 8 wheel rake rake. The baler can’t handle the large windrow well when I am baling 100 bales per acre. Once this year was 118 bales per acre. I cheat over and only use 6 wheels and still have huge windrows.

Get a double rotary, side delivery, that let's you either rake one windrow or two singles.  Mine takes about 20' of material, so if I double back in light stuff, while moving all the hay, about 36' if needed.  Whereas in heavy stuff, I can go down to 6-7' of material in each of the 2 single windrows.  The two single windrows is where the side delivery double really shines. IMHO

Larry

• JD3430, 8350HiTech and Trillium Farm like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

krone.1

× Sponsors