• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 farmguy

farmguy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Location56453

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:52 PM

Come spring what do you do with left over swaths, espicially if they have been made from many windrows.

#2 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1475 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 07 October 2020 - 11:03 PM

I do not understand what you are asking, elaborating would help.
  • r82230 likes this

#3 farmguy

farmguy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Location56453

Posted 08 October 2020 - 12:05 PM

There will hay left in the swath that was not eaten over winter. If several windrows are raked together it could be heavy. I myself no till but no matter what heavy residue where there was a swath could be a problem. The cattle will not consume all the foder and come spring it will be wet poor feed. 

#4 BWfarms

BWfarms

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1475 posts
  • LocationGod's Country, North Carolina

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:49 PM

So you feed swaths like some people will bale graze?

A point I’m going to touch on is that leaving feed in a swath is a very inefficient feed method. Sorry, that’s a lot of loose hay left open to the elements and waste.

Best I can tell you to fix the leftovers is ted it out and mow it up with a rotary mower. If you thought you were saving fuel and wear and tear, you lost whatever gain you were trying to find.

#5 farmguy

farmguy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Location56453

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:23 AM

I winter graze and bale graze, mostly winter graze with bales in position to bale graze if needed. I have never swath grazed but I had read where it was recommended to rake windrows together so I was curious.  I could forsee this being a problem. I live in Minnesota.

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3629 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 09 October 2020 - 05:07 PM

Thinking out loud, that you might have somewhat the same (roughly) weather as I do.  I wouldn't put into windrows until hay/grass has quit growing number one.  I don't want it to choke out existing hay/grass.  Second, I would be tedding any left over stuff back out in early spring BEFORE hay/grass starts to grow (minimizing the choking effect) if possible.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't like bare (choked out) spots, they seem to be weed havens in my case. :angry:    YMMV.

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors