8 replies to this topic

#1 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 06 October 2020 - 12:03 PM

Grandson was archery deer hunting Sunday early evening, texted me he had a wolf howling fairly close. Upon leaving his stand at dark, he realized something was approaching from behind (50 yards or so).......touched off three warning rounds from his side piece, and it ran off. Monday morning I was greeted with a fresh road kill just yards from my driveway. So that was put out in the area where he hunts along with a game cam.

Attached File  WGI_0004.JPG   200.06KB   1 downloadsAttached File  WGI_0005.JPG   200.62KB   1 downloadsAttached File  WGI_0009.JPG   195.52KB   1 downloadsAttached File  WGI_0010.JPG   191.62KB   1 downloads

I've noticed the nightly chorus of coyotes has stopped. Dozens of deer in the fields, early evenings is non existent. Now they're spooked, standing in the middle of fields mid day, running erratically around. I'm not complaining. Just observing. Our Canadian hunters aren't allowed to cross the border, thank you covid. But now nature has once again solved our deer population issue. Amazing how things work out.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#2 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15466 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:56 PM

Yes the wolf population will definitely keep the deer in check. And then you will have a wolf problem at some point to deal with if the wolves are afforded 100% protection. They too, will need a hunting season on them to control their population. When a female wolf has litters between 4-6 pups it doesn't take long to expand their population and range. 

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg and endrow like this

#3 mstuck21

mstuck21

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:14 PM

That would bring an end to last light hunting for me.. forget about night predator hunting too.. I’ve seen the pictures of guys wolf hunting..some of the wolves they shoot look like a side of beef hanging next to them.. you don’t have to worry about me heading your way for a wolf hunt.. trying to call in a hungry critter that could eat me is not my thing
  • mstuck21 likes this

#4 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 07 October 2020 - 06:48 PM

Side note: while tedding yesterday afternoon, 2:00 o'clock to be precise, I had a sow and 2 cubs pass through the field, within 100 yards. Between 300-400 # on the sow. Was amazed at the speed they were motoring. No pics.......sorry.
  • Vol and somedevildawg like this

#5 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 19 October 2020 - 04:37 PM

Update: Seems the black bears have a new pass time. Destroying round bales. Rebaled 3 of the 5 destroyed, 2 were beyond repair and were pushed into the woods.Attached File  IMG_20201016_133641_01.jpg   180.36KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image000000.jpg   109.32KB   0 downloads
Made the mistake of leaving them on the field overnight. They must smell something that attracts them to do the naughty.

Deer control is progressing as expected.Attached File  IMG_0955.jpg   416.18KB   0 downloads

Sounded like the grays were having a party last night. Attached File  WGI_0347.JPG   150.52KB   0 downloads

Surprisingly they were still coming in daylight hours.Attached File  WGI_0286.JPG   223.79KB   0 downloads

Stay tuned.
  • Vol likes this

#6 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:00 PM

I've always said I live in the golden region of the US. Not any animals that really pose a danger to people... No bears, wolves, or anything poisonous to worry about. I can sleep in the middle of woods and be relatively safe. Now the politics is a bit more of a problem animal...

#7 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15466 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 20 October 2020 - 05:51 AM

I've always said I live in the golden region of the US. Not any animals that really pose a danger to people... No bears, wolves, or anything poisonous to worry about. I can sleep in the middle of woods and be relatively safe. Now the politics is a bit more of a problem animal...

Hmmmm ? What about all of the heathen savages in nearby Chicago with the astounding murder rate?

Regards, Mike

• r82230 likes this

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3629 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 20 October 2020 - 07:26 AM

Hmmmm ? What about all of the heathen savages in nearby Chicago with the astounding murder rate?

Regards, Mike

I think their trying to spin off that part of IL., seems I seen a New IL site (where they are trying to become a separate state) somewhere.  It's not just the murder rate, its the taking of taxes from the rest of the state to support that Windy City.

Larry

#9 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 663 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 20 October 2020 - 09:22 AM

Ya I try not to think about that...
  • Vol likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors