I've never seen frost like this before. - Weather Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

I've never seen frost like this before.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:04 AM

I went out to feed this morning (4 AM) and saw a pretty heavy frost on the truck. 

Came back inside and checked the temperature.  Both my unit by the door and my Davis weather station showed about 40.  The Davis chart showed that it had stayed above 40 all night.

Maybe I've not been paying attention, but I'm wondering how there could be frost at 40 degree temps on a black truck.  My thinking is that the truck should have had some residual heat from the day which should keep it frost free down to below 30.

So, how could the truck have frost on it if the temperature never got down to freezing?

Thoughts?

Ralph

(Maybe, it has something to do with same statistics as covid-19?)

• somedevildawg likes this

#2 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9634 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:48 PM

Hmmmm.....something fishy in the state of IL. :o. Blame it on the dust?
  • rjmoses likes this

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3629 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:12 AM

Ralph,  I have no idea of what could cause this, except perhaps truck elevation was 10'-20' below your Davis weather station.  :rolleyes:

But as a side note: my internet provider makes my computer 'think' it's in Chicago (or Denver or Minneapolis sometimes).  But with the Chicago one, I get this "fair tax" for all proposal pop up screen.  Realize, I'm not voting in IL, but my thought is, who is fair to?  Doesn't say level or everyone is paying the same percentage, but just fair.

Ya, I derailed this thread.  ;)

Larry

• rjmoses likes this

#4 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5466 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:35 AM

On a clear night objects like your truck are radiating heat to space that is near absolute 0, when its still out, the convection heat transfer from air to the surface is slower than the radiation to space.  

Go out on a cloudy night and the clouds are way warmer than space and really cut the heat loss to the sky.

#5 rjmoses

rjmoses

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationNear St Louis

Posted 06 October 2020 - 01:53 PM

On a clear night objects like your truck are radiating heat to space that is near absolute 0, when its still out, the convection heat transfer from air to the surface is slower than the radiation to space.  

Go out on a cloudy night and the clouds are way warmer than space and really cut the heat loss to the sky.

That's a thought.  I could see a degree or two, but 8 degrees sounds like a lot.  And the air was 40 degrees.

Ralph

#6 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5466 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:33 PM

It was one of the calcs we had to do in heat transfer classes.  Radiant transfer is a difference in temperature to the 4th power, so big (400 F roughly roughly) difference in temperature drives massive radiant heat transfer on clear nights.

Point an IR temp gun at the sky on a clear night for fun.

The other factors in the calc are the view factor between the two bodies exchanging heat, so with a wide open clear sky very little warm objects returning heat.  Other factor is the emissivity/reflectivity of the surfaces, a perfect black body radiator is a factor of 1, black truck probably close to 0.8 or 0.9 as its a bit shiny.   A shiny polished mirror surface like a survival space blanket that has low emissivity would be warmer and less likely to have frost on it.   

That black truck that soaks up heat better in the sun also radiates heat away better to something colder.

That's a thought.  I could see a degree or two, but 8 degrees sounds like a lot.  And the air was 40 degrees.

Ralph

• rjmoses likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors