Lumber prices - Page 2 - Barns, Buildings, and Storage - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Lumber prices

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:35 PM

So on a similar subject, does anyone know what the going rate would be for having someone saw my logs into lumber? I need some stuff but do not want to buy due to the above listed facts, and not wanting to pay premium price for marginal lumber. I have a guy about 4 miles from me with a saw mill, he said he would saw what I needed for half the lumber.... That seems way high to me.... Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Depends upon what did he use to charge?  2/3's for him?  Seems it would also depend what your cutting.  Eg. white oak verses knotty pine verses walnut, along with 8' or 16' are a few factors come to mind.

Larry

#22 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2991 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Got a quote for a 48x64x18 shop.

Materials (lumber, steel, 2 overhead doors, insulation, and windows) $54,000

Concrete $26,000

Labor $28,800
  • somedevildawg and Bgriffin856 like this

#23 CaseIH

CaseIH

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClear Spring Maryland

Posted 06 October 2020 - 09:25 PM

stack em up

Brother am I ever glad I built mine in the spring! Wow! Shaking my head at those numbers, maybe it will level back out next spring and go back to a more normal cost of things.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#24 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:15 PM

Concrete $26,000

Labor $28,800

Ouch, my 64' x 120' x 20', one 12' x 16', three 16' x 16', one 20' x 16' overhead doors, three walk-in doors and only one window, was at the price (within $2K).  However, no insulation, 40' of concrete & 80' of asphalt.

I sure hope the prices come down a lot, before I build my 48' x 72' x 20'.

Larry

#25 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8565 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 07 October 2020 - 01:59 AM

Concrete $26,000

Labor $28,800

There must be labor included in the concrete total?
In floor heat?

60 yards concrete? At 6” thick???

#26 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2991 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:12 PM

There must be labor included in the concrete total?
In floor heat?

60 yards concrete? At 6” thick???

Yes there is labor included, although they wanted to wait to pour until the shed was up. Use the posts as forms for the concrete. I’d much prefer they pour footings and slab and set the shed on it. Apparently that isn’t done much anymore.

Morton came back with an estimate of $181,000 for exact same shed, just an M on the ends....

#27 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Morton came back with an estimate of $181,000 for exact same shed, just an M on the ends....

Wow, must have been a gold plated M at that rate.  ;)

Larry

• stack em up likes this

#28 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8565 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 20 October 2020 - 02:46 AM

Got a building quote friday.Salesman called back Monday and said quote is only good for a week and then it’s going up another 5%.A lot of stuff on back order,he said 9 weeks to get windows

#29 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8565 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 23 October 2020 - 01:19 PM

Wonder what lumber prices will be next year?I see lumber futures are down nearly 50% of the high a little over a month ago.

Heard from a lumber yard said wait until next yr and a building salesman say you have a week and its going up another 5%.Well thats for a pole shed so not all lumber!

#30 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9792 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 23 October 2020 - 07:41 PM

Wonder what lumber prices will be next year?I see lumber futures are down nearly 50% of the high a little over a month ago.
Heard from a lumber yard said wait until next yr and a building salesman say you have a week and its going up another 5%.Well thats for a pole shed so not all lumber!

I think they’ll return to earlier levels in a few months....covid and the covid lockdowns have caused this rise.

#31 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 24 October 2020 - 07:29 AM

I wouldn’t make any predictions until the election is over and a president is sworn in. 
If he wins, Joe Biden could send lumber (fuels and lots of other commodities) prices through the roof with unrealistic shut downs, fear and panic.
He also has vowed to discontinue the production of fossil fuels. This will drive the cost of lumber up dramatically. 

• Ox76 likes this

#32 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9792 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 24 October 2020 - 08:05 PM

Only one problem....he ain’t winning.
  • Ox76 likes this

#33 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15515 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:19 AM

Only one problem....he ain’t winning.

I sure hope you are right. If Republican voters are not as motivated as they were last election, then Trump will lose for sure. Trump should be running away with this election but he has motivated the Democratic voters with his juvenile antagonizing posts on twitter etc. What worries me is that i am reading various state results for a significantly larger Democratic turnout in early voting than Republican. In 2016 Dems took Trump lightly against Hillary and did not turnout as strong as they could have.....that won't be the case this time.

I hope it is the adage, "it's the economy stupid"....as Trump will win. If not.... 

But, I sure hope that you are right and I am wrong!

Regards, Mike

#34 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3784 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 07:49 AM

Mike,

You can hope this guy is right again.

https://www.aol.com/...-race/24660643/

The only problem is all the absentee ballots.  Here, our legislators just try to pass a bill that would make it a felony for "knowingly submit another person's name or personal identity  information on a ballot application or attempt to obtain multiple ballots."  Naturally, our Governor vetoed it. :angry:

Larry

• Vol likes this

#35 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15515 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:32 AM

Larry, I hope this fella is right too!

Regards, Mike

#36 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15515 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 25 October 2020 - 08:42 AM

Larry, I hope this fella is right too!

Regards, Mike

Now, back to regularly scheduled programming....I had some nice poplar logs sawed on shares this month. The sawyer got 60% and I received 40% of the lumber. Highest grade lumber is usually shared 50-50.

Here, I was told that .45 cents a board foot is the going rate for custom sawing.

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg likes this

#37 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 26 November 2020 - 08:51 AM

Wow, .45 a bf is pretty pricey. Had some logs, pine and fir, sawed into clapboards for our house last winter, paid the guy by the job and ended up giving him a little extra cause I was happy with the results. If I remember right they ended up being about 15 cents a linear foot, his regular price was ,25 a bf then. I do know people that are complaining that log prices are low so I guess high prices are just because they can.

#38 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5488 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 26 November 2020 - 12:59 PM

Softwood lumber from the local small mill was about 0.70 / bf to buy but way up now.  I saw some guys advertising 0.50/bf custom milling.

I was trying to buy some pressure treated power poles from the plant, CCA poles more than doubled, but didn’t matter as none available.  The plants two pressure treating lines making deck and fence lumber non-stop.

#39 JD3430

JD3430

"Trump deplorable"

• Members
  • 10913 posts
  • LocationPA/DE border

Posted 26 November 2020 - 09:54 PM

PT 6x6’s are quadruple what they were 1 year ago. Just priced a barn for a customer and they were pretty shocked....

So was I

My supplier said they’ll be back down in March, but he told me that pre election. He thought Trump was gonna win. 

#40 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5488 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 27 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

Our local pressure treating plant isn't really affected by US politics and never shut down during COVID, they simply said people being home has caused crazy demand for decks and fences.  I've been trying to get a surveyor for months just to set two pins but he's tied up surveying property lines for decks and fences to satisfy building permit rules for setbacks.

Neighbour built a garage over the summer, garage doors still laying on the floor waiting for the door installer to have time to put them up.

• 8350HiTech likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors