Lumber prices - Barns, Buildings, and Storage - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
* * - - - 1 votes

Lumber prices

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:19 PM

In my neck of the woods lumber prices have almost doubled.  BIL is doing a few repairs on the old barns for me.  He went and got a couple of treated 2 x10's last night.  Wow, what a sticker shock, they were $15-16 a piece a year ago, $30 each at today's pricing.   Glad I'm not building my other shed yet.  I don't think it would be twice as good at twice the price.  :o

Ya, this pricing was at a orange big box store if that makes a difference.  ;)

Larry

#2 ozarkian

ozarkian

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • LocationRogersville Southwest Missouri

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:28 PM

Last week I bought 4 2"x4"x10' treated 2x4's. The total bill was $40 and change. The guy at the lumber yard said lumber was getting scarce.

I know. Don't tell me, it's the Corona Virus!

I'm getting really tired of hearing that.

• r82230 likes this

#3 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15508 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:00 PM

Youngest son is building a home and his lumber prices came in at 45% higher than what it was just a few months ago. $40K higher. He is trying to decide about waiting. I told him it would be sometime next summer before they came back down. Happens everytime we have hurricanes in the Gulf.

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg and r82230 like this

#4 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:27 PM

I was told by a building contractor that alot of the wood mills and forestry companies saw the shutdown as a slowdown in demand so they slowed production way down. Well between the stimulus and the 600 a week in unemployment the population has the time and money to do projects.
That caught the lumber supply off guard and they've been struggling to catch up. Said his cost to build houses went up 60,000 per house

#5 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2979 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 02 October 2020 - 07:45 PM

Been trying to get bids for a new shop, 48x64x18. Two brand name companies won’t give bids cuz they can’t be competitive. Lumber yard told me Wednesday that lumber prices are good for 36 hours. Said trying to bid a project is like trying to hit a moving target. Only construction item that is lower is concrete.

#6 PaMike

PaMike

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2382 posts
  • LocationLancaster County PA

Posted 02 October 2020 - 09:46 PM

I was told by a building contractor that alot of the wood mills and forestry companies saw the shutdown as a slowdown in demand so they slowed production way down. Well between the stimulus and the 600 a week in unemployment the population has the time and money to do projects.
That caught the lumber supply off guard and they've been struggling to catch up. Said his cost to build houses went up 60,000 per house

I wish thats how it worked for hay. I think it might be a soft year for demand so I make half as much then charge twice as much. That would be sweet!

• Vol, ozarkian, somedevildawg and 6 others like this

#7 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:08 PM

Yep, I’ve had several projects that required lumber and it didn’t take long......most increases average about 40-50% over just 4 months ago. It’s made the lure of cheap money an iffy proposition, pay one or the other....I think I’m in the wait camp.
  • Vol, 8350HiTech and r82230 like this

#8 Uphayman

Uphayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUpper michigan

Posted 03 October 2020 - 05:47 AM

When I go into my woods now.......those big pines just increased their value. I have some projects this winter for the Woodmizer. Will be smiling with every saw pass on the log.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, Troy Farmer and 4 others like this

#9 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:25 AM

Been trying to get bids for a new shop, 48x64x18. Two brand name companies won’t give bids cuz they can’t be competitive. Lumber yard told me Wednesday that lumber prices are good for 36 hours. Said trying to bid a project is like trying to hit a moving target. Only construction item that is lower is concrete.

That's roughly the size I been looking at (or 48' x 72').  Stack, see if they have like on TV, BOGO free, I'll  pay the ship/handling on the second one.  :D  :lol:

Larry

#10 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 07:45 AM

Youngest son is building a home and his lumber prices came in at 45% higher than what it was just a few months ago. $40K higher. He is trying to decide about waiting. I told him it would be sometime next summer before they came back down. Happens everytime we have hurricanes in the Gulf.

Regards, Mike

Man,  what a tough position to be in.  Didn't think about those who are already in process of construction/still buying materials. :(   Gotta, wonder if the lenders will be flexible or not with the building loan (if they have one).  Either way that's a 'real' chunk of change (in my book anyhow) to come up with. 

Lucky, hurricanes haven't seemed to effect our lumber prices in the past.  So this is a first for whatever reason.  Guessing prices will come down, but probably end up 10% or more higher than what they were.  Sure hope I'm wrong.  ;)

Larry

• Vol likes this

#11 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1032 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:08 AM

When I go into my woods now.......those big pines just increased their value. I have some projects this winter for the Woodmizer. Will be smiling with every saw pass on the log.

Jeff & I had considered sawing the lumber for a new hay barn (the steel truss discussion) and had already decided on that before the price increase.  Ours is a manual bandsawmill and I hope this old lady can still raise/lower/push/pull -- it's been 20ish years.  

Shelia

• Vol, somedevildawg and r82230 like this

#12 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15508 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 04 October 2020 - 05:22 AM

My sons contractor has encouraged him to get all the excavation and foundation work completed in the next few weeks and then wait on purchasing lumber until the first of the new year. He is pretty convinced that prices will fall dramatically at that time. Excavation starts Tuesday. 

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg likes this

#13 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9774 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:06 AM

I think he is correct.....I don’t see it being a long term deal, but it’s crazy right now for sure.
  • Vol likes this

#14 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8553 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 04 October 2020 - 12:48 PM

Got a bid last winter on a pole barn but didn't order when covid hit and grain/livestock prices crashed.Salesman just said it went up alot but hasn't got me a new quote yet.

Building the pad this week I hope.Also getting rid of a couple old sheds that are worthless and in the way.I'll prly build it next yr if quote comes in much higher then it was last winter

#15 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2979 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 04 October 2020 - 09:50 PM

Building the pad this week I hope.Also getting rid of a couple old sheds that are worthless and in the way.I'll prly build it next yr if quote comes in much higher then it was last winter

I’ve thought about doing this as well, pour the pad now then put the shop up next year. Might have to think a little harder about it.

#16 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8553 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:21 PM

I’ve thought about doing this as well, pour the pad now then put the shop up next year. Might have to think a little harder about it.

Its a good thing to build pad year ahead anyway so it goes threw more settling.Dont plan on concrete floor in this one,for a few years any way.Crushed concrete or ground asphalt perhaps 

#17 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:39 AM

Was getting ready to put in 1,200’ of new 4” irrigation pipe price went from $1.48 a foot to $2.98 in just a few weeks they said it was to to the virus shutting down several resin factories and then they got hit with a couple hurricanes but who really knows may just haft to wait until next year.
  • somedevildawg likes this

#18 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8553 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:43 AM

I think a lot  of price gouging going on

#19 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Its a good thing to build pad year ahead anyway so it goes threw more settling.Dont plan on concrete floor in this one,for a few years any way.Crushed concrete or ground asphalt perhaps 

I'm a fan of building a pad ahead of time for Swmn's reasoning (settling), but I'd have a harder time doing like Stack.  Seems in my area, I won't put up a building without a rat (read wood chuck) wall any more.  Those critters can be a PITA and it's a lot harder to dig the rat walls with building walls in place, IF you decide to put a floor in later.  BTDT. :angry:

Larry

• swmnhay likes this

#20 CaseIH

CaseIH

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationClear Spring Maryland

Posted 06 October 2020 - 05:11 PM

So on a similar subject, does anyone know what the going rate would be for having someone saw my logs into lumber? I need some stuff but do not want to buy due to the above listed facts, and not wanting to pay premium price for marginal lumber. I have a guy about 4 miles from me with a saw mill, he said he would saw what I needed for half the lumber.... That seems way high to me.... Any thoughts?
Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors