• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DavidAlder

DavidAlder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationtennessee

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:30 PM

My baler was baling good and then it got where it wouldn’t feed the hay into it all the chains were running and I couldn’t see anything wrong other than having to clean the hay that was jammed any help would be appreciated

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

Welcome to HT David,

You mentioned that it was working OK, then you started having problems, so my questions: Are you baling grass hay only? And has/is it extremely dry when this happens by chance?

My old 850 didn't like grassy over dry hay  :angry:  is the reason for my questions. 

Larry

#3 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15508 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:12 AM

Welcome to HT David,

My old 850 didn't like grassy over dry hay 

Larry

Not sure what you are saying.

Regards, Mike

#4 DavidAlder

DavidAlder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationtennessee

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:14 AM

No it wasn’t dry I had been baling and had rolled about 16 rolls and then it started

#5 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5301 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:53 AM

Regards, Mike

I would assume over dry to be overly dry or over-dry.
  • r82230 likes this

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:54 AM

Regards, Mike

Bone dry grass hay, seems it was perhaps 'slippery'.

No it wasn’t dry I had been baling and had rolled about 16 rolls and then it started

Are you floor  chains real loose and is the problem more noticable as the bale gets bigger?  Hard to explain, but floor chain pulled from rear (on mine anyhow), so slack chain was in front of bale.  Which in turn allowed chain to bend forward.  Clear as mud.

Larry

#7 DavidAlder

DavidAlder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationtennessee

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:43 AM

Yes they are loose on the floor I don’t know how loose or tight they are supposed to be first time I ever used a round baler was this year it baled good the first cutting this year and was doing good this time until the hay started getting clogged up in the pickup

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 11:16 AM

Here's a rough idea of what might be happening (see attached).  In my case on the left side of drawing (in front of bale), the excess chain puckered up, not catching the incoming hay well (because the teeth where slanted towards the front of baler, instead of being straight up).  It would then stack the hay up, being caught by the chain/bars right above, that is turning forward (the chain/bars coming off the bale as it's being formed).

How tight should they be, IDK, I didn't have a manual and it was a lot of years ago. :(   Seems I put on enough new chains that help eliminate the problem.  IIRC I couldn't tighten the old stretched floor chains (maxed out the adjustment). 

With grassier dry hay being more slippery the bars would slip on the outside of the bale so that the floor chains had to do more of the work turning the bale.  This 'extra' work as bale got bigger, would cause the teeth on the floor chains (if enough slack) to tip towards the front of the baler.  See drawing, left side of circle, think of looking through the baler, standing on left side of baler, (bale would be making a counter-clockwise rotation). 

HTH

Larry

Attached Files

#9 DavidAlder

DavidAlder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationtennessee

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:34 PM

Thank you so much for all your help I probably will get new chains and hopefully it will stop the problem the baler is pretty old like me and probably needs some new parts I appreciate all your help

#10 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:38 PM

Thank you so much for all your help I probably will get new chains and hopefully it will stop the problem the baler is pretty old like me and probably needs some new parts I appreciate all your help

Have you maxed out the adjustments?  Not that I'm spending money, but you are, perhaps needlessly. 

Larry

• 8350HiTech likes this

#11 DavidAlder

DavidAlder

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Locationtennessee

Posted 24 September 2020 - 04:49 PM

No I haven’t adjusted anything I was wondering where do you adjust the floor chains at

#12 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:12 PM

No I haven’t adjusted anything I was wondering where do you adjust the floor chains at

On my baler, they were on the rear end of the floor, you adjusted rear sprockets.  IDR if I had to open back door or not.  :confused:   Seemed like had to loosen sprocket bolt, then turn adjusters, re-tighten sprocket bolt.

Larry 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors