New Holland BR740 One Side Not Tying - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

New Holland BR740 One Side Not Tying

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The Dreaded Farmer

The Dreaded Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and I have a New Holland BR740 Round baler(twine only) that won’t tie on one side(left side). We’re trying to finish up our hay before the rain hits us here on Friday, and I’m all out of ideas, and the Local New Holland Mechanic has been little to no help(so we’re trying to learn how to fix it ourselves). To give you some background me and my Dad are both pretty mechanically inclined(just don’t know much about round balers in general) but we “inherited” this baler and the farm when my Uncle passed away in January of 2019. My Uncle, God rest his soul, wasn’t much on maintenance and we’ve been trying to fix up his old equipment as we’ve gone along. We’ve been really struggling with hay this year and any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3750 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 23 September 2020 - 09:45 PM

Welcome to HT Farmer,

You state won't tie, here is a question or two: Does it start on bale? Does twine arm move or not? Are you speaking of auto tie only (does it tie manually)?   Has it ever worked for you?  Realize I know little about your model of baler.  ;)

Yea, I'm looking for more details, but have no answers, but there are some folks on here that might be a much better help.  Give them all the details of what is or isn't working or that you have tried. 

One important thing is usually, if you have a requirement to use/need the tractors electric power, go right to battery, seems to be the best.

Larry

#3 The Dreaded Farmer

The Dreaded Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for your reply, and for welcoming me to the site. The first season that we made hay with this baler(after my Uncle's passing, in Spring of 2019) it would tie both sides pretty consistently with a few single ties in between. On our second cutting (Summer 2019) the problem got worse. And in our first cutting this year it wouldn’t tie either side, so we had the local New Holland mechanic supposedly “fix” the issue, after we had to get our neighbor and my cousin to finish baking our hay for us, so we didn’t get a chance to test it out in some hay till this week, and now the “mechanic won’t stand behind his work and according to him, he is “too busy” doing his own hay to help us out. So I took matters into my own hands and joined this site and I read thru the New Holland round baler sticky and was able to get it to tie one side(it wasn’t tying either side at first and wouldn’t even trip manually). Right now it does trip both automatically and manually, but either way will only tie on the right hand side. I searched this forum and others and can’t seem to find a solution, I’m hoping someone can chime in with some answers, any help is much appreciated. Thank you again.

#4 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2398 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:18 AM

Loosen the twine tension plates so the twine easily pulls through the tension plates.  Look at the end of the twine tubes.  You could have either plugs at the end of the tubes or two flat springs inside the end of the tubes.  If you have the plugs, look for grooves worn into the end of the twine tube which would allow the twine to pop back up the twine tube.  If you have the flat springs it will be more difficult to see the groove in the plates, not the twine tube,  because the groove will be small.  

If you have grooves in the end of the twine tubes, switch the right twine tube with the left twine tube.  The twine will now be wearing on a new surface.

If you have the flat springs inside the tubes, you will need to remove the tubes, drill out the pop rivets and install new flat springs.  The flat springs are a thin plate with notches in the end.

#5 The Dreaded Farmer

The Dreaded Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:19 AM

Thanks Mike, I’ll check that out in a few. I want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing, are you referring to the twine tensioner plate. On my model I have a plate with 2 bolts with springs on them, I believe these are called twine tensioners? So I should loosen both bolts and check the plate for grooves or could the tension just simply be too tight? Thanks again for all your help.

#6 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:37 PM

The tension plates are as you say.  The other items to check are in the end of the twine tubes where the twine exits.

#7 The Dreaded Farmer

The Dreaded Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for all your help, Mike. I think I might have figured the problem out from your post. First, the twine was wrapped around the white idler pulley multiple times instead of just at a 90 degree angle, so I unwrapped it and routed it correctly. The only problem I have now is trying to set the string between the strike plate and the knife, every time I try to put the twine in place the knife cuts the twine. Do you have any advice on how to set the twine between the striker plate and knife? Thanks in advance.

#8 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

The twine does not need to be under the knife.

#9 The Dreaded Farmer

The Dreaded Farmer

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationBedford, VA

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:04 PM

Mike, thank you again for all your help, got it running today and both sides tied(were only able to bale about 4 bales, tractor was in the shop most of the day), the only issue we had was the last bale was a short one(not full bale we tripped the manual tie lever) and it did not tie one side again, is this normal? Thinking about replacing the knives as the twine ends are looking ragged, would this help the tying to be more consistent?
  • somedevildawg likes this

#10 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2398 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

Feeding hay helps the twine start.  Make sure the knives work independent of each other and the knife edge sets on the striker plate for most of the knives length.  The knives are not perfectly straight.  If the end of the twine is just balled up, I would leave it alone.  If the twine is stringy, then you need to do something.

• somedevildawg likes this

#11 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 27 September 2020 - 07:39 AM

If you're tripping it manually you can slow the engine down, get on your knees and watch what it does. You should be able to see if it's an issue with twine or maybe something else causing it. On my 648 the spring loaded bullets at the end of the twine arms were too tight and causing it to not put the twine on, you can loosen those up but they still need a little tension to hold the twine. Loosening those and the tension plates solved my issues, good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors