• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 2ndshiftdiesel

2ndshiftdiesel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville TN

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

Was wanting opinions on what size disc mower to go after, I have a Case IH 5120 Cab 2WD without a loader, would a 9 ft be all it would want? I was also kinda considering a 8 ft because I could use either tractor with it (other is international 684)

#2 2ndshiftdiesel

2ndshiftdiesel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville TN

Posted 13 September 2020 - 06:50 PM

Thanks for any input!!

#3 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:37 AM

Assuming you know what PTO horsepower your tractors have;

Decide on a brand or two that you like, or that parts and service are available for in your area.

Check the manufacturers websites for power recommendations for a given cut size of disc mo-co 

I have found that a 9 or 10 foot cut disc mo-co will need on average 80 or 90 pto h.p. to be effective in hilly ground

#4 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

Are you thinking 3 pt. or pull type?  Conditioning or just mowing? 

#5 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 14 September 2020 - 08:28 AM

According to tractordata you have 77 HP on the shaft. If you are not hilly it will handle a 9 footer. In heavy hay you may have to drop a gear, let your temp guage tell you what to do. Or if you want to not worry about it go 8 ft. Remember if you cut at 3-3.5 inches it will pull a lot easier than if you go down to 1.5-2 inches. Also let how much you mow be factored in. 

• Ridgefarmer63 likes this

#6 2ndshiftdiesel

2ndshiftdiesel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville TN

Posted 14 September 2020 - 12:02 PM

3 point, just mower, kinda leaning towards a 8 so I can use both tractors, may add a 9ft later after I see how it handles a 8 ft

#7 Snow Farmer

Snow Farmer

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationCentral Britsh Columbia

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:08 PM

Mower only would need less power

#8 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 570 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 14 September 2020 - 01:36 PM

Stick with the 8'. You will be happier.

#9 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 14 September 2020 - 05:31 PM

62 pto hp on the 684. I think a 9' cutter would work it pretty hard forcing you to go slow. The 5120 should not have any trouble with a 9'. I pull my 10' Kuhn using a 2wd M9000 with 82 pto hp with no problems power wise. If it is really sidling and the mower is downhill I can tell but no real problems.  

Some International's (like my old 454) have wonky 3-point arms that do not lock into a position and slide freely up and down. That is a problem with a side load like a disc mower. 

If I had to choose I would go with the 9' first. An extra foot of cut makes a huge difference. 

#10 2ndshiftdiesel

2ndshiftdiesel

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationNashville TN

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:14 PM

Thanks dvcochran, and everyone else! I have found a good deal on a Vermeer 7040, may go that way and get a 8 ft later for the 684, in middle Tennessee not going to be on any steep ground.
  • Snow Farmer and dvcochran like this

#11 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:44 PM

Thanks dvcochran, and everyone else! I have found a good deal on a Vermeer 7040, may go that way and get a 8 ft later for the 684, in middle Tennessee not going to be on any steep ground.

That's great to hear. You will be glad you went 9ft. 

It is funny, if you go one or two counties south of Davidson County it gets hilly as heck. Go two or three counties west and it is flat as a pancake. Excellent crop land. 

We farm in Dickson and Hickman County and some of our land is useless billy goat hills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors