• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:16 AM

Can a guy get away with broadcasting radish, some kind of tillage radish , onto existing hay/pasture fields and get a decent stand ? Not even looking for a stand so to speak as much as just helping compaction and nutrient cycling . Always put it in the drill but have my grasses like I want so if I can just broadcast , if thatll work , be great

#2 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:26 PM

Negative. I never had good luck with no-til. Tried the established hayfield route and that did not work.

• siscofarms likes this

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3546 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

Negative. I never had good luck with no-til. Tried the established hayfield route and that did not work.

Did you no-til drill or just no till, throwing it on top without packing or nothing?

Larry

• siscofarms likes this

#4 IH 1586

IH 1586

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1831 posts
  • LocationNorthwest PA. Warren County.

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:29 AM

Did you no-til drill or just no till, throwing it on top without packing or nothing?

Larry

Used a JD power-til drill. They grew to no more than to poke out of the ground. To much competition from the grass. Even mowed tight to the ground and all that did was help the weeds out. This year I rented my first no-til drill and planted a Sunn Hemp, Sorghum/sudan, radish mix after burndown and while they grew decent still not impressed with the no-til route. Last year did a half $ss tillage job just to break the surface and the radish crop we got was crazy.

Attached File  IMG_20190923_103951964.jpg   284.72KB   0 downloads This was less than a month after planting last year.

I have a couple responses and threads in this category trying the same thing for the same reason. 

• siscofarms and r82230 like this

#5 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4124 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

You could try notilling the Radish's with Cereal Rye maybe that would help 

• siscofarms likes this

#6 siscofarms

siscofarms

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCRAYNE KENTUCKY 42033

Posted 04 September 2020 - 07:35 AM

I have always no tilled them in with the grasses in the fall and always had good luck with them . I would put 1 lb to the acre in a mix of 30 lb acre seed blend . I was just wanting them out there without dragging the drill around . If it wasnt for the extra deer they attracted I could live with not sewing any . Im going to get a little bit of seed for a test run anyway . Ill let you know how it works

• Tim/South likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors