• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bennieb39

Bennieb39

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

Have been using locus oil red n tacky For all my equipment. Since I got a 575 baler and a 1409 discbine want to make sure they last as long as my nh 69 baler and nh 477 haybine did. Is the red n tacky good enough or should I use the extra heavy duty fro locus or someone have a better option. I have heard your not to mix greases so if I change should I clean out old grease

#2 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 449 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 02 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

I went with the green extra heavy duty grease from Lucas.  It's a good truly all purpose grease and can even be used in electric motor bearings it's so good.  It'll mix with lithium based grease fine.  That's all I know for sure. 

Edit:  Any grease is better than no grease.  It still amazes me how many people shell out thousands of dollars on equipment and don't ever grease them.  I guess many of them "lease, don't grease".  I hate them.  They're screwing the little, poorer people.

Thought for the day:  A tube of grease is the cheapest insurance on a farm.

• MScowman, TJ Hendren, KurtS1 and 1 other like this

#3 HayMike

HayMike

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWest of Akron Ohio

Posted 02 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

I have the same equipment, switched recently to NH, happy so far.

#4 TJ Hendren

TJ Hendren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationN.E. Okla

Posted 02 September 2020 - 09:24 PM

Dittos on the green Lucas. Its all I use in my CV joints.

#5 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 02 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

I went with the green extra heavy duty grease from Lucas.  It's a good truly all purpose grease and can even be used in electric motor bearings it's so good.  It'll mix with lithium based grease fine.  That's all I know for sure. 

Edit:  Any grease is better than no grease.  It still amazes me how many people shell out thousands of dollars on equipment and don't ever grease them.  I guess many of them "lease, don't grease".  I hate them.  They're screwing the little, poorer people.

Thought for the day:  A tube of grease is the cheapest insurance on a farm.

We bought our 16 row corn planter used, we figured if the previous owner kept it another year they would have to buy a grease gun. Nothing was really wore out, but several gauge wheel arms were almost welded in place. All the zerks on it still had paint on em.

First thing I look at is zerks anymore on used equipment.

• Ox76 likes this

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3981 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 03 September 2020 - 07:11 AM

Seems a while ago (years ago maybe) there was a discussion here on HT about grease.  Someone much more knowledgeable than me (doesn't take much a lot of time  ;) ), posted the advantages /disadvantages to different types of grease.

IIRC, you shouldn't use 'slippery' types of grease in ball bearing applications (balls will slip instead of rolling).  And you shouldn't use 'sticky' types of grease in pin type applications.   Along with not mixing some different types of grease and why not to do so.  I haven't found the thread yet, sorry.  :(

Larry

#7 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 3053 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 03 September 2020 - 08:18 AM

I use lithium based grease in roller/ball/needle bearings.

Moly based grease in pins and bushings and things that don’t move/spin fast.
  • cjsr8595 likes this

#8 Bonfire

Bonfire

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • LocationSouth Side Va.

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:23 PM

^^^ what I do. Use Texas Refinery grease.  880 C&C and 880 moly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors