stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2932 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:21 PM

From AgWeb.

https://www.agweb.co...-rare-windstorm

If you have never harvested down and twisted corn, I can assure you there are very few things in farming that compare to that misery. Prayers to all affected.

#2 mlappin

mlappin

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10882 posts
  • LocationNorth Liberty, Northern Indiana

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:29 PM

It sucks, years ago had a derecho come thru that wasn't very wide at all and where it went there wasn’t any rows to pick, just watched the edge of the head like mowing hay. Snapped off like 8-10 telephone poles even along US31

#3 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2131 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 14 August 2020 - 09:50 PM

We got the remnants of hurricane Katrina back in I think 2005.  Wide spread damage across southern Indiana with a lot of down corn. I had a 25 acre field that took 6 days to shell with a six row combine. Bought a corn reel as did everyone else. Shelled corn going one way, going crossways and even some with small grain head. Put a lot of dirt and mud in the grain bins. Some take away notes, combine the corn as soon as the grain is dry enough to shell (~30%), keep plenty of alcohol on hand for stress and be safe with plugged corn heads.  At the end of the year, I swore I wouldn’t wish down corn on my worst enemy.

• endrow and r82230 like this

#4 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4124 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:33 AM

7 years ago storms like that storms went threw south of here  guys had flat corn and had it appraised for a total loss by crop insurance . Turned around and chopped it for silage and got every stalk . and sold it for more than they would have got thru combine.

#5 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8500 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

7 years ago storms like that storms went threw south of here  guys had flat corn and had it appraised for a total loss by crop insurance . Turned around and chopped it for silage and got every stalk . and sold it for more than they would have got thru combine.

A lot of this corn is snapped off and is not mature and is now turning brown.That corn will be chaff not much feed value in that.

#6 swmnhay

swmnhay

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 8500 posts
  • LocationReading,Mn

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

https://www.facebook...58401132781992/

feel sorry for these guys.

#7 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:01 AM

That SUCKS.  I can't even imagine...

#8 haybaler101

haybaler101

Hay Master

• Members
  • 2131 posts
  • LocationCarlisle, Indiana

Posted 15 August 2020 - 11:35 AM

A lot of this corn is snapped off and is not mature and is now turning brown.That corn will be chaff not much feed value in that.

Yep, when Katrina hit us I think it was just after Labor Day and most corn was black layered so it made grain. My flattest field was taller after we ran the combine thru it and still averaged 200 bpa and we left a lot in the field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors