• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cult45

Cult45

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:10 PM

My flock of sheep got a bad case of hoof rot. It rained almost a week solid with 12 hr rounds of 90+ heat. The pasture was saturated almost swampy....but with thigh high grass. Once it started to dry out they came back towards the barn where the pasture was shorter and dry. A couple of the kids were gimping around as if a cow stepped on them or they got rammed by a bossy ewe. As the days went on more and more were gimping around the pasture. I knew I had a problem when the momma ewes started limping too. Checked around and also called the local livestock vet. He recommended NuFlur but I got a cheaper generic called liquimyacin. or LA-200.

Got them all corralled up and inoculated. The directions say to give 2 shots in 48 hrs but they are all up and grazing and walking without a limp. I'm hoping to not have to catch all those basterds again.

I did miss one little guy. Funny how they can barely limp and crawl around on their knees to graze but you go to catch them and they sprint and prance away from you like reindeer. I'm hoping he gets what he needs from mommas milk. If not, He'll have to get really lame before I come after him again. Good thing I got all their tails and balls banded already.

#2 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2930 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:52 PM

Trim hooves regularly, run them thru a zinc foot bath a few times. Keep them on concrete for a month.

Sell them, but dont sell them at livestock auction, sell directly to a packer and explain the situation. Foot rot is one of the worst diseases in sheep cuz it spreads so easily.

#3 endrow

endrow

• Members
  • 4119 posts
  • Locationcentral pa

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:15 AM

If marketing be mindfull of drug residuals 

• r82230 likes this

#4 carcajou

carcajou

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1786 posts
  • LocationALBERTA

Posted 12 August 2020 - 12:07 AM

My flock of sheep got a bad case of hoof rot. It rained almost a week solid with 12 hr rounds of 90+ heat. The pasture was saturated almost swampy....but with thigh high grass. Once it started to dry out they came back towards the barn where the pasture was shorter and dry. A couple of the kids were gimping around as if a cow stepped on them or they got rammed by a bossy ewe. As the days went on more and more were gimping around the pasture. I knew I had a problem when the momma ewes started limping too. Checked around and also called the local livestock vet. He recommended NuFlur but I got a cheaper generic called liquimyacin. or LA-200.

Got them all corralled up and inoculated. The directions say to give 2 shots in 48 hrs but they are all up and grazing and walking without a limp. I'm hoping to not have to catch all those basterds again.

I did miss one little guy. Funny how they can barely limp and crawl around on their knees to graze but you go to catch them and they sprint and prance away from you like reindeer. I'm hoping he gets what he needs from mommas milk. If not, He'll have to get really lame before I come after him again. Good thing I got all their tails and balls banded already.

LA200 is not a generic version of Nuflor.  Nuflor is much more effective.

#5 Kasey

Kasey

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationNorthwest iowa

Posted 12 August 2020 - 01:08 PM

From what I hear zactran works great on foot rot. If the la 200 is working you may have foot scald which would be good news
  • Cult45 likes this

#6 Cult45

Cult45

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 August 2020 - 08:07 PM

From what I hear zactran works great on foot rot. If the la 200 is working you may have foot scald which would be good news

OK. I did some research on foot scald and I think that is what I have. Of all the pictures of it that I could find, that looks like what I have. 24 hrs after their shots they were up and moving and grazing normally. I still haven't given them a second shot as directed and they seem to be doing OK. Another thing I did when I inoculated them was I used a spray bottle and shot some iodine between their hooves just to help them heal a bit faster.

But it rained 2" yesterday and another inch again today so it may come back and I have to start all over again anyway. At least it wasn't as serious as I thought.

Also, none are going to the butcher anytime soon so there shouldn't be any residuals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors