1980 New Holland 315 square baler, couple questions - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

1980 New Holland 315 square baler, couple questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 08 August 2020 - 05:40 PM

As title states, working on a new to me machine.  Been neglected something fierce.  Gotta do all bearings and some slides for plunger.  One bearing wasn't there, another had frozen and was wore half through.  Couple slides had bolts missing and were wore half through because they bowed up.  One knotter worked other didn't, bales left in chamber causing rust,broken springs on feeder tines, counter, twine fingers, 2 out of 5 hay dogs completely set up and needed torches to get out, etc etc etc. Anyways...

Noticed on plunger crank arm a rectangular place not painted with two holes.  Looked in parts manual and shows a stack of weights I believe.  Are these required or simply nice to have or what?  Will I notice any difference with them on or off?

Does anyone have a complete plunger repair kit available?

Where is the best place to buy parts for this?  Cost vs quality, etc.

Thank you in advance!

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5269 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:12 PM

Bearings from Shoup. Rails from Esch Hay Equipment. Most anything else from NH.
  • endrow, r82230 and Ox76 like this

#3 Aaroncboo

Aaroncboo

• Members
  • 660 posts
  • LocationHomer Glenn ILL

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:17 PM

Idk if it's the same but my 268 has a rubber block and a steel plate in those 2 bolt holes. Maybe for vibration? I couldn't tell you to be honest.
  • HayMike and Ox76 like this

#4 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2355 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:53 PM

There are two rubber pads and the top steel plate.  They are there to absorb the shock if the needle safety latch is in the chamber when the crank arm comes around.  When the needles enter the chamber, the safety also enters the chamber.  If for some reason the needles do not exit the chamber, the crank arm padded plate will strike the safety latch and shear the flywheel shear bolt saving the needles.

• endrow, r82230 and Ox76 like this

#5 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

An absorbing block.  Makes sense.  I can see on the safety latch for needles where it's been hit before.  Wonder why those pads are missing?  I feel dumb now that I looked at the parts picture but didn't chase down the numbers to see what they were called.  Thinking I probably ought to get them on there at least, now that I know what they're for.

• HayMike and endrow like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors