How should I go slower when in first gear? - Page 2 - Tractor Talk - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community - Page 2

Photo

How should I go slower when in first gear?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2667 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 09 August 2020 - 06:32 AM

One thing to make sure  of if you change tractors- if loader work and clearing trees is in your future, make sure it has a wet clutch and reverser.  Much better for clutch wear

#22 AKFARMER

AKFARMER

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 09 August 2020 - 11:11 AM

If money was not an object, then I think that I would get a 90hp tracked skidsteer and a new 100hp duel speed PTO (540/1000) IVT tractor without a loader. Sadly, such is not even possible enough to daydream about.

Even renting equipment is difficult in my area. A few years back I rented a D6 dozer for two days and with delivery & pickup it cost a little over $8k. Granted, I did get about 5 acres cleared with it. I will not make that mistake again.

Anyway, I appreciate your input and thoughts on this.

May God bless you and keep you and your families in this harvest season.

#23 Sterling6.7

Sterling6.7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 August 2020 - 08:13 AM

Does your 5065 have the 540/540e PTO option installed? This would lower your RPM and ground speed while maintaining PTO speed. If not, maybe you can retrofit.

I have spent 30 years on tractors with 9 gears or less and learned out of necessity. I now have a 12/12 in a 5100e and learned a little about what I was missing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors