John Deere 582 BaleTrak Plus monitor repair? - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

John Deere 582 BaleTrak Plus monitor repair?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BarnyardEngineering

BarnyardEngineering

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWestern New York

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:32 PM

Last Saturday I was baling along when my BaleTrak Plus monitor went nuts and started beeping continuously. All icons and digits on the screen were lit, and it would not shut off.

I had to unplug it to get the monitor to shut off. When I plugged it back in it was off, and turned on with the button.  Again all the icons and digits on the screen were lit, and it would not shut off.

I repeated this and eventually the monitor would no longer power on. Assuming it was bad, I sent it off to AgExpress Electronics for repair. They just called and said they can't work on it because it's "European" but they were able to hook it up to power and get it to turn on and off.

They're sending it back, but assuming I can't make it work, what then? Nobody can fix it? My baler is junk?

#2 Trillium Farm

Trillium Farm

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • LocationDurham Region/Southern Ontario

Posted 07 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

Check you battery, these monitors are very susceptible to current/voltage flow, if below minimums they'll drive you crazy.

• somedevildawg likes this

#3 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9631 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 07 August 2020 - 07:42 PM

I agree....get a volt/ohm meter and check that voltage, check ground continuity from a known ground. Voltage should read 12v with tractor off....13.6 or so with engine running. 0.0 ohms would be optimal for ground. What does your friendly Deere dealer have to say?

#4 BarnyardEngineering

BarnyardEngineering

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 August 2020 - 07:53 AM

What does your friendly Deere dealer have to say?

Oh, the friendly Deere dealer kinda stares at the ground, kicks at a pebble, and mutters, "I dunno. I can sell you a new one."

#5 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 4136 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 12 August 2020 - 08:53 AM

I reman monitor from JD is $716

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3629 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:25 PM

Is it possible to borrow another monitor to check if it's the baler/wiring/sensor before buying another monitor or can baler be converted to accept a US type monitor?  If AE can't fix it, hate to see you buy a reman that doesn't fix/work with your baler. Why keep it becomes the question of the day.

Larry

#7 BarnyardEngineering

BarnyardEngineering

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 07:45 PM

I got the monitor back from AE. Put it on the tractor and same problem. 

Checked the voltage with the tractor running. It settles out at 14.01V on pin 28 of the wiring harness.

There is a smell of burnt electronics emitting from the connector on the end of the wiring harness. I can see no visibly burnt pins. 

I unplugged every connector I could find on the baler, and it made no difference. The monitor turns on, beeps, and hangs with all icons and numbers lit.

I suspect a wiring problem, but where to start? There are 40 wires to deal with, and I have no reference as to what any of them do or how they should test out under what conditions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors