Rebaling small squares in a round baler, will it work? - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

Rebaling small squares in a round baler, will it work?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KFhunter

KFhunter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE/WA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:12 PM

I was given a field to do, its been partially baled with a small squares, enter cows..gophers...deer...now about every 5th bale is broken.

I'm finishing up with the rb, how will it go if I get a core rolling then feed in broken small bales?

Can I start a core on a broken small bale?

I'll pull the strings obviously

#2 Trotwood2955

Trotwood2955

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAugusta County, VA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:17 PM

Can it be done, yes. Will it be fun or easy, I’d say definitely not. I think it will be very hard to make a uniform bale trying to bale up the square bales and also probably prone to plugging the pickup. If you could break up the bales and re-rake that would help.

#3 KFhunter

KFhunter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE/WA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:25 PM

I can haul a small 3pt leaf beater I have laying around, might be suitable for the job

#4 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:52 PM

I've rd baled some small sq bales that wire broke & I didn't want to attempt to re-bale in squares. It was relatively easy after the wire was removed BUT I drove slowly. My experience is tying of small sq bales is more difficult with the 2nd attempt of baling.

#5 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:04 PM

How many bales are you talking about? Are there windrows to throw the broken bales into? I have had okay success breaking them up with a grapple bucket but always had a windrow to dump the breakup back into. I have also just put the side boards on my dump wagon and loaded it loose and fed it out. 

#6 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5419 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:36 AM

We’ve cut the strings off and just slowly approach the bales, let the pickup tease the bales apart.
  • clowers and dvcochran like this

#7 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:41 AM

As T-wood mentions, re-rake a couple of times.  Helps break'em up, so you can feed baler slower & more consistently.

Larry 

#8 Edd in KY

Edd in KY

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:40 AM

When I have a few broken square bales and remnants  in a field I often clean up the field with a round baler. I use a bar rake to roll over the square bales a few times and break up the flakes and then bale slowly to avoid plugging the pickup.

#9 dvcochran

dvcochran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 316 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:03 PM

As T-wood mentions, re-rake a couple of times.  Helps break'em up, so you can feed baler slower & more consistently.

Larry 

I don't think that would ever work with a V-rake. A bar rake or rotary may do it but I think it would be rough on them. 

#10 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHannibal Missouri

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:15 PM

This is some work, but i have rebaled some square bales that were too wet.  I loaded them on a trailer and slowly drove along while the bales were flaked off in 1/4 to 1/3rd bale chunks.  then i came down the line of bale flakes with a tedder.  2 or 3 passes and the bales were completely spread out.  i let it dry and re-raked the hay into windrows.  again, some work but i did get quality hay back.

#11 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3381 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 02 August 2020 - 10:43 PM

I don't think that would ever work with a V-rake. A bar rake or rotary may do it but I think it would be rough on them. 

Did it with my V rake,  but it was adjustable on angle and I could use just one side (15 wheel H&S X-rake).   Have done it with my roll bar but not my rotary (yet ;) ). 

YMMV

Larry

• dvcochran likes this

#12 skyrydr2

skyrydr2

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 08:15 AM

Do it all the time when kicker burns off a string on square baler, just kick it out of wagon and pick it up with baler, no messing around with it. But that's with a square baler(NH 575) never used a round baler.
I would think turning the bale sideways broke open and strings removed, you could pick it up pretty easy? Do the round baler pickups have a windage bar? If so tighten it down to force the tines to rip flakes apart before it get inhaled?

#13 KFhunter

KFhunter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE/WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:42 AM

Oh ya I've re-baled many many bales with square balers,  the round baler is pretty new to me. 

trick with rebaling square bales with a square baler is to have a good sharp plunger knife that is well adjusted, and not get too big of leafs to shear a bolt on the flywheel. 

You get bales eager to explode out of their strings because the stems in the bale are going every which direction 

#14 KFhunter

KFhunter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE/WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:36 PM

Ok that sucked, even after a roller bar rake and two passes from different directions.

I put the round bale in a flop flop, belts got to rubbing. Saved a few rounds by hitting a windrow hard but you can see the rebaled hay in the round bale all oblong.

#15 KFhunter

KFhunter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • LocationNE/WA

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:37 PM

And forget about starting a core on a raked broken bale...had to dig it out

#16 slowzuki

slowzuki

• Members
  • 5419 posts
  • LocationNear Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 09 August 2020 - 08:15 PM

Oh I never thought, we rebale them all the time but soft core round baler.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors