• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHannibal Missouri

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

Hello, BillVee here. I'm new to Hay Talk.

I have a JD336 baler and pull and Agway 8 bale accumulator behind. In heavy stemmed hay, timothy and brome, the bales do not always separate when they come out of the baler, there is a hay link between the bales. this creates a big problem when 2 bales go into the same chute. it requires someone to follow along and manually cut the hay linkage between the bales - big pain!! I've tried several things - knife sharpening and adjusting, baler timing, plugger extensions, and restriction plates. I've also extended knives at the top.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to fix this??

#2 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5234 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:59 PM

What does your knife clearance measure?

#3 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts
  • LocationCoyote Flats,Texas

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:24 PM

Welcome to HT

Ditto on checking clearance between plungerhead & stationary knife. It would probably also help to sharpen both knives.

• Trillium Farm likes this

#4 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:18 PM

Checked it and adjusted it last week to about 35 thousandths or just slightly more.  I installed new knives last year.  I'm looking at where the knives come together at the top, and there is a 1/8th to 1/4 inch gap at the there.  I think that when i'm choking the baler, a bundle is pushed into this gap, the baler then ties this half of the hay wad, the second half is then pulled in the next fork cycle and becomes tied into the next bale.

#5 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:37 PM

There's an adjustable brg on flywheel side of plungerhead to adjust the gap on upper part of knives

• endrow likes this

#6 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1247 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:39 PM

Where is the gap?  Are you saying your knives are .035" at the bottom and 1/8-14" at the top?  If so that would probably explain your problem.  Adjust so you have the same knife clearance from top to bottom.

• r82230 likes this

#7 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:53 PM

The gap between the knives was adjusted to about 35 thousands from top to bottom.  the 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap is between the top of the plunger knife and the top of the bale chamber.  

So maybe the plunger rails need to be lifted.  They are not too worn, i replaced those a couple years ago.  But I did not look at how low the plunger was sitting in the bale chamber.

#8 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:26 PM

So maybe the plunger rails need to be lifted.  They are not too worn, i replaced those a couple years ago.  But I did not look at how low the plunger was sitting in the bale chamber.

Bearing(key 17) needs to be adjusted downward or replaced if outer diameter(race has significant wear) not rails lifted up. Actually my guess is all brgs on plungerhead side & bottom rail may need replaced due to excessive wear

Attached Files

• bool and BillVee like this

#9 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:59 PM

Are your hay dogs working?  If the hay dogs do not hold the hay back, the needles can come up through some of the hay and if there is excess clearance on top of the plunger the hay will push forward over the top of the plunger.

• somedevildawg, r82230 and bool like this

#10 bool

bool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • LocationWarrnambool, Australia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:40 PM

Does the manual recommend 35 thou clearance? That sounds on the high side to me. My IH 440 manual says 10 to 30 thou. I set it at 20 and it seems to work well enough.

Roger

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9453 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:11 PM

My first thought is the dogs....

#12 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:17 PM

Wow, thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. 

The Hay dogs are working well, washers were put behind the springs to give them more snap.

On the JD 336 the knife gap is i believe to be set between 0.030 and 0.070.  yea that sounds wide, that's why i set it to 0.035.

#13 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 05:41 AM

Has plunger head to needle timing been checked lately? If needles are timed a tiny bit slow that could cause the problem.

• BillVee likes this

#14 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:13 PM

I adjusted it to one end of the adjustment range. I believe that makes them a little late.  I will move them to the other end.

Thanks

#15 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:30 PM

My suggestion is to adjust needles so the points of needles when PH is on a compression stroke are same height as upturned channels in bottom of bale case when needles are 1-1/4'' to 1-3/4'' away from face of PH .

• BillVee likes this

#16 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:04 PM

The range in the manual is 0.5 inches to 2.5 inches from the Plunger Head when the needles are flush with the top of the channel.  I have it at 0.5 inches.  I think that makes the needles late.  I will move them to the 1.5 inches as you have suggested.

Thanks.

#17 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

I do not know much about JD balers, but I would consider that early unless the plunger is heading back to the front, which is not right.

#18 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:19 AM

The range in the manual is 0.5 inches to 2.5 inches from the Plunger Head when the needles are flush with the top of the channel.  I have it at 0.5 inches.  I think that makes the needles late.  I will move them to the 1.5 inches as you have suggested.

Thanks.

It's been many yrs since I've viewed a JD sq baler operator's manual BUT I don't remember the 0.5'' specification. If needle to PH relationship is within the 0.5''-2.5'' range then I think timing isn't causing bales to be attached to each other

#19 Tx Jim

Tx Jim

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3945 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 05:26 AM

I do not know much about JD balers, but I would consider that early unless the plunger is heading back to the front, which is not right.

Mike10

You should get better acquainted with JD small sq balers then you might change BALER COLOR affiliation!!  :D  :rolleyes:  :lol:

All joking aside IMHO the concept of all small sq balers is very similar except for the way hay is fed into the bale chamber(auger vs feeder fingers)

#20 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:54 AM

Mike10

You should get better acquainted with JD small sq balers then you might change BALER COLOR affiliation!!  :D  :rolleyes:  :lol:

All joking aside IMHO the concept of all small sq balers is very similar except for the way hay is fed into the bale chamber(auger vs feeder fingers)

I am getting too old to change now.  The next time I change the color of my underwear it will be retirement white.  lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors