New Holland 658 auto wrap monitor - Machinery - HayTalk - Hay & Forage Community

Photo
- - - - -

New Holland 658 auto wrap monitor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:21 AM

I recently acquired a New Holland 658 baler, but it didn't come with the monitor. I was wondering how difficult is it to get these monitors and how much do they cost? I know on the auto wrap you don't "have" to have the monitor, but i would prefer have one to have the buzzer. I've been searching on ebay and amazon and have not been able to find one new or used. Are they still in production and available from a dealer, or do i need to try a junk yard or individuals? Thanks.

#2 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:25 AM

I have a 648 baler that the previous owner put a horn from a car on it for an alarm, you have no problem hearing it. Mine has no monitor.

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3349 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:57 AM

Welcome to HT,

The monitor is still available I do believe ($750-800, IIRC).  With baler fires, monitor usually survive (along with tractor if operator is fast enough ;) ), so you might stand a chance going down that road.  It's your money I'm spending, but I'd probably go with a new one.  Unless there was some sort of guarantee with the used one.

Larry

PS going off stupid CHI web site, showed monitor:

https://www.mycnhist...tor/p/86624474R

But if I was a betting person, I'd bet on Mike10

Edited by r82230, 01 August 2020 - 07:14 AM.

• Trillium Farm likes this

#4 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:04 AM

There is no monitor for the 658 auto wrap, only a full bale alarm.  Is the wiring and switch still on the baler?  The switch is under the auto wrap drive at the front of the baler.  The alarm sounds when the auto wrap is tripped.  All you need is an alarm and wiring and a connector to match he baler or change the baler connector.  Install an inline fuse at the power source and run the wire to the alarm.  Run a wire from the other terminal of the alarm to the baler connector.  At the other terminal of the baler connector run another wire back to the tractor and to a ground.  Now, when the auto wrap trips the ground circuit will complete activating the alarm.

Early full bale alarms included a light and on/off switch, which are not needed but can be added to the circuit if so desired.  

If you want a factory full bale alarm, the only one available is ones without light and switch.  Any full bale alarm from the 70's to the Roll Belt series balers will work.  The BR balers added driving bar graphs but still can be used, you just need to connect to the right two terminals at the full bale connector.  All work the same way, a switch on the baler completes the circuit when the auto wrap is tripped.  Some use the ground side to complete the circuit, other use the hot side to complete the circuit.  I prefer the ground circuit, less chance of shorts..

#5 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:35 AM

Go to my pinned thread at the top of the machinery forum and scroll down the first post until you get to the electrical section.  Click on the BR without bale shape for the basic wiring schematic for a full bale alarm.  This one uses the power back to the switch but you can switch it to the ground wire.  If the wire shorts out with the ground circuit going back all that will happen is the alarm will sound.  No blown fuse or melted wires.

#6 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:02 PM

Mike10- yes, the wiring and switch are still on the baler for the full bale alarm. Yea I guess that's the best option, to just make my own little alarm.

Pettibone- yea I'll prolly do something like that. Something to let me know in case I don't hear it trip or see it trip soon enough.

#7 pettibone

pettibone

• Members
  • 120 posts
  • Locationwestern maine

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:50 PM

If you look through the square hole on the right front of the baler you should see the switch and place to hook up wires. Like Mike said just have to run a hot wire from the tractor to supply power

#8 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:30 PM

Pettibone- Ok, i'll look at it closer when I get back home. I'll be gone for work the next 19 days. So, i'll need to cut and splice the factory wiring to do this it sounds like. I would like to keep it original, but i'll do what is most economical for me to get this baler operational. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gary101

× Sponsors