• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

I just recently acquired a New Holland 658 auto wrap baler. When i got it home and checked everything out and kicked the PTO on, the right side of the pickup seems to be flexing/bouncing and the left side not so much. I know the previous owner did mention something about the pickup was needing work, but I can't remember the details. My question is, are these pickups prone to having issues, is it possible for the frame to be cracked and just need to be braced and rewelded (will this even be a good option), or should i just look for a new pickup assembly? I'd like to not put thousands into a baler only worth a few thousand, but at the same time, if it needs fixed then i also want to make sure it is done right and ready to bale when i need it. 

Also, i'm new to these balers and have no experience with them. Any additional info or help with this baler would be appreciated.

#2 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3380 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:49 AM

When you say flexing/bouncing are you talking about when sitting still? 

If so are the teeth hitting or the bars inside hitting something?

Maybe take one or two of the guards off so you can observe what might be happening is my thought.  But wait, Mike10 or Gear could give you a much better thought(s).

Larry

#3 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2298 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:51 AM

You probably have the wide pickup with stuffer.  The stuffer is what is making the pickup bounce. Bounce is normal.  Check for play in the stuffer shaft and supports.  Check the bearings in the link between frame and stuffer.  Check for any play anywhere.  There will be some between the stuffer and the shaft it is mounted on, if not excessive do not worry about it.  Remove all chains at the pickup so you can turn different parts of the pickup.

The pickup it self should turn fairly eaisily.  If there are bent or missing teeth replace them.  On one end or both ends of the pickup pipes or angles will be bearing which run in a cam track.  There should be a hole on the outside of the pickup where you can see these bearings.  Replace as needed.  Check for bent angle bars or pipes the teeth are mounted to.  Remove and straighten or replace.  Straighten bent bands that go around the pickup between the teeth.  If bent, find one band that looks good and use it as a template to bend the bent bands back to the same shape as the good one.  A vise slightly opened works very well to use as a fulcrum to bend the bands back into shape.  Take a look at the bearings or blocks the angles or pipes are supported by for excessive wear.

Doubtful you will spend much money as long as you do the labor.  Check the frame for cracks, but doubt you will find any except possibly at the pivot point bolt holes.

• Ox76 likes this

#4 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for the replies. Y'all are really quick and seem very knowledgeable.

Mike10- yes it is the wide pickup, but I'm not sure about play in the stuffer. I've never had one of these balers, so I'll check that. To me though, it doesn't look right. If it is the stuffer making it bounce, shouldn't the bounce be uniform across the pickup? This one act's like it's only bouncing on the right side. When I get back home I'll start taking it apart and see what I find. I need to get the shop manual and parts manual for it also, which I've also not been able to find online. I just like having them on any piece of equipment that I have.

#5 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5234 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:10 PM

All new holland parts diagrams are free online, so unless you need a paper copy you’re set in that regard. I have never needed any more shop manual than what can be found in Mike's repair thread. But if you really need them on paper, I would keep my eye on eBay. They’re surely out there.
  • r82230 likes this

#6 wdunn62

wdunn62

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:27 PM

8350HiTech- I do like the paper copy, but where do you go to see the diagrams? 

#7 8350HiTech

8350HiTech

Hay Master

• Members
  • 5234 posts
  • LocationOrrstown, PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:51 PM

They just recently changed their site, it appears this is now the link to your baler.

https://www.mycnhist...CE-005056875BD6

Historically I have just used the Messicks site because it includes other brands. Your dealer should have the diagrams linked on their site as well.

#8 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3380 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 02 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

They just recently changed their site, it appears this is now the link to your baler.

IMHO, their change IS NOT for the better.  Seems like extra steps, equipment that I'm not looking for (NH, IHCase) intertwined.  :angry:

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors