• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9587 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:28 PM

I mentioned that I had my grandson today for my birthday....he helped out and I introduced him to the Big M and let him drive it a bit....didn’t take him long to realize what control did the speed :o told him I wanted it pegged on 5mph and a full swath, he did purty good...stayed with us in the field most all day. Did some cutting, tedding....a good day. Attached File  FC8205F9-6A33-4A2D-8C2F-DD1E13226703.jpeg   114.05KB   0 downloads
Hard to see him in the “pilot seat” but he’s drivin.....
He asked me about 5:00 “when do we get paid big” (they call me Big) I said, well...you have to pay me :o “huh?” He asked....I said Ya, you’re an apprentice and your learning and I’m your teacher, kinda like your mom. He looks at me quizzically.....about an hour later his dad is coming to pick him up and he comes up to me and says “Big, you know how we talked about me being an apprentice”.... sure son why....he immediately plays this on my wife’s phone and hands it to me :o https://youtu.be/gj2iGAifSNI
I just laughed as he walked off to get in his dads truck.....
  • Vol, LaneFarms, Troy Farmer and 10 others like this

#2 RockyHill

RockyHill

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1013 posts
  • LocationSouth Central Kentucky

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:07 PM

Happy Birthday. 

Sounds like a good day and Jeff and I both got a good laugh out of your grandson's . . . uh, reaction.

Shelia

• somedevildawg likes this

#3 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9587 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:20 AM

Lol, I just shook my head and he walked to his dads truck and never turned around.....I don’t know where he found the song or anything, but as soon as he handed me the phone it rang out like only Paycheck could do “take this job and shove it”
I’ll be at his house in the am to pick him up for “another days work” (said he’s saving for a new baseball bat) but I’m gonna play 9-5 by Dolly Pardon :)
  • Shetland Sheepdog, RockyHill, BWfarms and 2 others like this

#4 Shetland Sheepdog

Shetland Sheepdog

• Members
  • 1166 posts
  • LocationHollis, NH, USA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:20 AM

Well, I don't have a grandson, or great grand son, but my oldest son also turned 59 yesterday!  :o  :cool: You are Blessed for sure!  :) 

• Vol, somedevildawg and stack em up like this

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3538 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:42 AM

Enjoy those days Todd, seems they go fast.  Was just talking to my oldest GD, and how she was singing the same song over and over, for a couple of hours, while sitting in the apprentice seat.  I was RB, had her buckled in, after a couple hours (she did take a break to eat her snack she brought with her), it was nap time.  The ability to snooze while your head is hitting the window, is amazing.  :huh:

I think she was maybe 5 (now 12 going on 21!!).  The song had a line in it going something like this: "witch, which couldn't sew a stitch".  Naturally, I kept thinking, when is she going to accidentally use the B word.   :o  She never did, just GP's mind was in the gutter. 

My 5 year old GS, was over yesterday and he wanted to drive the telly, while I was loading 75 bales of hay.   What he called 'driving' is turning the steering wheel from lock to lock.  Took me twice as long to load the delivery trailer, but his smiling face was worth it.  :)

Larry

• Vol, somedevildawg, stack em up and 2 others like this

#6 paoutdoorsman

paoutdoorsman

Hay Master

• Members
  • 1271 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:16 AM

Sounds like an absolutely fabulous day!  Well, except for the rain on your hay of course!  But hey, a little rain is bound to fall on every biker and haymaker.

• Vol, somedevildawg and stack em up like this

#7 stack em up

stack em up

They say you’re a man of vision....

• Members
  • 2930 posts
  • LocationWatonwan County MN

Posted 01 August 2020 - 10:08 AM

Love it! Won’t be long and he will be telling you what to do and how to do it. I’ve had a few of those moments lately. I asked my boy how did you get so smart? His response with a cold dead unblinking stare, “Mommy”

And from this time henceforth, you shall be called Big Dawg. So let it be written, so let it be done.
  • Vol, somedevildawg, RockyHill and 2 others like this

#8 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9587 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:02 PM

Didn’t take any photos today, but I laughed at that kid today.....man is he witty and funny. But he really is too smart....just leaves me kinda speechless sometimes. His vocabulary is just incredible at his age....I let my help take him in the tractor tedding today, he says “man, that Gavin really asks some smart questions doesn’t he?” He said..”at one point, when we moved to another field he asked me if we were gonna do the ‘circumference?’ first....” he said, “I just nodded and said yes, I had no idea what he was talking about but I didn’t want him to know that :o
Funny kid....at one point he came inside to get a big ole glass of sweet tea :D and told my wife “ya know GiGi I really don’t care if Big pays me or not, I just have fun out here....” after sitting a few minutes he got up and said, “alright, I’m going back outside with the men” “ gotta work up a sweat” (not sure where he heard that) :o
So I’m going to pick him up for baling day tomorrow, told him I would pick him up right after church and we would eat lunch and head to the field for a day of baling....Good Times :D
  • Vol, Troy Farmer, stack em up and 5 others like this

#9 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15438 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 August 2020 - 04:00 PM

Sounds like a day well spent....and a day that Gavin will ponder upon long after you are gone Todd. That's what a good man does.....pass it on to continue his lineage. 

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg, Troy Farmer, r82230 and 1 other like this

#10 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15438 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:16 AM

Dawg, have you bought Gavin that bat yet?

Regards, Mike

• somedevildawg likes this

#11 somedevildawg

somedevildawg

• Members
  • 9587 posts
  • LocationTifton georgia

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:13 PM

No, he’s still working (if you count running around on the golf cart shooting anything that moves with his Red Ryder working) everyday! Spent the night last night and got up and helped with the chicken pen we’re building for GG....taught him how to read a tape measure today, boys a quick learner. He caught a carp today in one of our ponds and of course proceeded to fill it full of BB’s....poor carp :o I bought that carp too! (Grass carp and they’ve accomplished their mission)
So, I’m guessing he will work all week and get a weeks pay :o that bat should be within his pay scale...if not he might need to look at a cheaper one, but I want him to spend HIS own money (Ok, so I may get the bat for an early birthday gift...like three months early :o)
Here he is today taking a break from a hunting excursion...
Looks like I need to get him on the lawnmower from the looks of that bahai in the background :o

Attached Files

• Vol, LaneFarms, Shetland Sheepdog and 6 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors