• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bsdoyle

bsdoyle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:57 PM

I have a Just acquired 336 JD. Been setting inside for bout 5-7 years. Everything works fine as put bout 800 bales thru it. problem is I can t get the zerk for the twine disc to take grease. Ive changed it. Dug it out with small screwdriver. Soaked it with bout 3 diff lubricants. Took knotter bolt out and flipped it up so penetrating oil will set in zerk hole and let soak numerious times. Wont take grease. Dont think Im mecdhanically talented nuff to take disc out to check it out. Any one else had same prob. Ideas. Nu-B i AM.  Thanx for any help you can share.

#2 Ox76

Ox76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Locationwest central MO

Posted 31 July 2020 - 05:27 PM

Heat.  Use a propane torch and heat everything up real good, then try to force grease into a new zerk.  Put new zerk in first.  Don't burn down your baler.

• HayMike likes this

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

If Ox's idea doesn't work, take the zerk out, dig all the grease out (even torch it if necessary).  Now fill the hole with liquid wrench/WD 40/squirrel juice, let set for day or so.  If down some add more, then put zerk back in pressurize with grease gun.  This is based upon zerk being vertical. 

I have something like one of these myself:

https://www.zerkzapper.com/

https://locknlube.co...ks-the-easy-way

Larry

#4 Gearclash

Gearclash

Hay Master (Supposedly)

• Members
  • 3194 posts
  • LocationSioux County, NWIA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

I have has some success getting plugged zerks moving again by using an air chisel with a blunt punch point to gently hammer near the offending zerk while putting maximum pressure on the zerk with a grease gun.  To prevent damage from the punch point I put a steel hole saw punch out over the tip.  A slug from a 1” or so hole saw works the best, 1/2” to 1” thick stock.

#5 BillVee

BillVee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • LocationHannibal Missouri

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:43 PM

I have used a tool called zerk zapper to loosen and unclog zerks before.  you can find it on-line, its i think about $20.  I fill it with wd40 and let the fluid do the work.  sometimes it takes another shot.  I also have trouble with a zerk taking grease if the axle is wedged against the zerk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors