• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 605bryan1961

605bryan1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:32 AM

I am thinking of switching from small rounds to squares , just because feeding horses is easier. I live in SD mostly all I see for sale around here is the 273 NH. I dont want to buy something that I have to work on all the time, my baler works great.  Maybe I should deal with hard to feed hay?  Thanks Jerry

#2 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

In its day, the NH 273 was an awesome baler.  Many graduated from motor balers like the super 77 NH behind which I caught many bricks on the wagon.  I had a used up 273 as my first baler in 1987 and the only issues with it I ever had were the knotters jumped time once (actually only one knotter) and the feed carriage that used wood blocks as wear shims was a pain. The wood blocks would wear out and I broke the carriage but got it fixed and baled some more.   Finally traded on a 315 NH that was also a really good baler.  Got a $1,000 for it which is what I paid for it.  However, the 273 is still baling today and recently sold for $1,200.  Not sure why but it did.  As far as i know, you can still get the parts you need for it but then again, I haven't tried since 2003.

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:20 AM

Welcome to HT,

As far as balers, either travel a little bit or look harder.  I'd vote for a little more recent baler (like Hayman mentions, the 315).  As far as dollars being spent, probably won't be much difference if cost.  If you can find one that's been keep inside most of it's life would be a bonus.  ;)

Couple of years ago I got rid of a JD 24t, that my dad bought brand new.  Set in the shed un-used for 20+ years.  I pulled it out, re-greased it, had to pull the twine out of the box (the part that was outside the box deteriorated) to re-thread.  Bale three bales and never missed a knot.  Sold it for $1,000, as field ready.

Now,  all this said, probably should have ask, how many bales would you be baling a year?  If small enough numbers a well taken care of 273 might just work just fine.

Larry

#4 chevytaHOE5674

chevytaHOE5674

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationOntonagon, Mi

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

A decent 273 will have no trouble making a nice bale and doing a few thousand bales a year. Sure the newer machines are faster and have some design improvements but the 273 will get the job done for a small operation on the cheap.

#5 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2293 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:50 AM

Keep the carriage shimmed up and the 273 will do everything you want it to.  May not have the capacity of a new baler, but very dependable.

#6 605bryan1961

605bryan1961

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationSD

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for all of your input! We only hay about 60 acres so maybe we'll give the 273 a try. I was just suspicious that it was a lemmon because of so many of them for sale. thanks again

#7 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for all of your input! We only hay about 60 acres so maybe we'll give the 273 a try. I was just suspicious that it was a lemmon because of so many of them for sale. thanks again

metal fatigue is possible with something that old.  That is what happened to my feed mechanism, it just wore out.  I did rebuild it but then sold the baler because I finally had a big enough tractor to run a kicker with a wagon behind.  Before that, I was pulling the 273 behind a 950 JD and dropping bales on the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors