9 replies to this topic

#1 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

There is a farm on my way to town that never, I mean never mows their hay until the end of July when it is completely brown, then it is mowed and left for a week.  Well this year, it was cut in the end of April then nuked-not sure if it was Gramoxone or Gly but it was dead for a while.  Now it is solid johnson grass with patches of sorghum showing here and there.  It will be enough seed to set the county up for a long time.  They will probably bale it after it starts dropping seed and sell the bales to unsuspecting folks.  Argh!  We have land use taxation program here which is supposed to require you to control noxious weeds but no enforcement.  Makes it really hard on those folks like myself that work hard to maintain high quality fields.  ok, rant over but I don't feel any better and I have to drive by that cluster several times a week.  

#2 Trotwood2955

Trotwood2955

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • LocationAugusta County, VA

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

For the most part we don’t have horrible JG issues down this way, yet...with a few exceptions. I hate the stuff and any weed. Seems to be more common along road edges in recent years than what I remembered in the past.

I’m passing my disdain for weeds on to my kids. My 5 year old son can now identify quite a few varieties and they seem to bug him as much as they do me!
  • MScowman and Macndee like this

#3 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3370 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:44 PM

Hayman,

Perhaps a different route to town might save you some high blood pressure meds.  :P  BTW, you don't have a monopoly on that type of folks.  ;)

Larry

• NebTrac and Macndee like this

#4 Farmineer95

Farmineer95

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • LocationWiscinsin

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

We're seeing more wild parsnip in road ditches. Seems everyone is giving up on controlling it, well its everywhere let it go... I just wanna spray the ditch, but figure I better not.

#5 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2561 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:34 AM

RU resistant marestail has exploded here in the last two years or so.  We’ve always had the weed but I don’t remember it having resistance before.  Luckily grazon or weedmaster does it in.

#6 Ranger518

Ranger518

• Members
  • 520 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted 31 July 2020 - 12:00 PM

I know the feeling I haft to drive by a few of my neighbors rented fields on my way home that he cuts once a year and round bales it all to sell. It is 90% if not more weeds with sapling trees growing in it. He was complaining last year and said he needed to spray something next year because he could hardly get it raked up do the the trees he cut down with the disc mower were jamming up his wheel rake. I don’t know how he got his new John Deere baler to bale it but he baled it up trees and all and about a week later the bales had several trees poking out of the side and the net wrap. Crazy thing is he sells out every year pretty fast makes me wonder sometimes why I try to have quality hay if people will buy total junk crazy.

#7 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 31 July 2020 - 04:12 PM

It’s a field down here right by the road that is solid JG and they bale it multiple times a year and leave the bales in the field for months. Then they move then to the side under the trees and let them rot for years. I don’t get it.
  • Troy Farmer likes this

#8 Troy Farmer

Troy Farmer

• Members
  • 554 posts
  • LocationUpstate SC

Posted 31 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

It’s a field down here right by the road that is solid JG and they bale it multiple times a year and leave the bales in the field for months. Then they move then to the side under the trees and let them rot for years. I don’t get it.

Must be a Carolina thing broadriver.  See the same thing here.

#9 broadriverhay

broadriverhay

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • LocationJenkinsville , SC

Posted 01 August 2020 - 09:33 AM

Some of it is just plain stupidity. They don’t know JG can be toxic

#10 chaded

chaded

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:30 PM

Just send that junky JG here and I will deal with it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors