• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leeroy

Leeroy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

This is an old mower. Can you only use the bearing caps with no shims to get the correct preload?

Also on the wobble drive: I know you are not supposed to remove sheave from wobble shaft, but woodruff key has broke twice, with less than 20 acres+-.

Can it be welded?

I could purchase a new wobble shaft, but cannot justify $700 into it.

#2 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

The shims need to be used not only for the bearing preload but for sealing the bearings.

#3 Leeroy

Leeroy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 29 July 2020 - 07:57 PM

Thanks Mike, I understand now that I've seen the shims.
Care to explain how one might check the bearing without any dial indicator etc.

#4 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2279 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

Remove the three bolts at the bottom of the lower bearing plate, remove the shim plate and turn the lower bearing plate 180 degrees.  Now you can pivot the yoke up and down.  Remove shims evenly from both caps until you feel drag when pivoting the yoke up and down.

You will probably find one or more problems when doing this job.  First the bottom plate will probably fall out of the lower bearing.  The shaft will probably be worn which will allow play in the wobble drive.

The second problem you will find, if you are not replacing the bearings, is when you remove shims and you rotate the yoke there will be tight and loose spots in the arc.  The side bearings and cups get beat out and the surfaces are like corduroy.  

If there is ANY play in the rear mounting bearings on the main shaft, remove the wobble drive and rebuild.

#5 Leeroy

Leeroy

• Members
  • 83 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:16 AM

Mike , as you predicted the bottom plate fell out. Will be replacing this and related parts.
The mower had developed a knock that I assume was this worn shaft. I will also replace the knife isolation mount. Also the piece that the knife bolt goes through.

#6 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3349 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:03 AM

Too bad this site (and Mike10) wasn't around 25+ years ago, when I was doing the same thing as you are Leeroy.  Probably, would have saved me DAYS of time.  :angry:  The 'piece the knife bolt goes through', hopefully the hole isn't worn at all.  If it is............................ :o  :angry:  :huh:  :angry:  :mellow:

Larry

• Leeroy likes this

#7 mike10

mike10

• Members
  • 2279 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Any play in the wobble drive can cause a knock, Condition of the cutterbar can put a strain on the wobble box.  When the bar is clean of dirt and debris, you should be able to pull the knife in and out without having to hook a tractor to the knife.  

• Leeroy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors