• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationSouthern Indiana

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:43 PM

I have something I haven't been able to identify.  Can someone tell me what this is?  It grows in clumps, clipping doesn't really help much.  

Attached Files

#2 chaded

chaded

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Ohio

Posted 28 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

Looks like cocklebur. In my experience mowing doesn’t do anything as it just starts to grow low and spread out afterward. I had a big patch of it a couple years ago and i nuked it with Weedmaster or grazon next, can’t remember which one. It cleaned it up pretty good. 

#3 swall01

swall01

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 28 July 2020 - 04:40 PM

Looks like cocklebur. In my experience mowing doesn’t do anything as it just starts to grow low and spread out afterward. I had a big patch of it a couple years ago and i nuked it with Weedmaster or grazon next, can’t remember which one. It cleaned it up pretty good. 

+2nd vote

#4 Vol

Vol

Hay Master and Moderator

• Moderators
  • 15344 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:27 AM

It appears to be Asian Velvetleaf. It is extremely persistent and supposedly the seedbank can remain viable for 50 years. I have not dealt with it yet but have seen it here.  I have read that glyphosate will kill it(spot spray) . I believe i would get something that is pretty stout(Grazonext etc.) and spot spray and see what kind of results you get. Does your plant have a yellow flower?

Regards, Mike

• Hayman1 likes this

#5 r82230

r82230

Hay Master

• Members
  • 3372 posts
  • LocationThumb of Michigan

Posted 29 July 2020 - 06:28 AM

It appears to be Asian Velvetleaf. It is extremely persistent and supposedly the seedbank can remain viable for 50 years. I have not dealt with it yet but have seen it here.  

Regards, Mike

When I seen the viable for 50 years, it reminded me of the local ag college experiment.  This is the last year of the experiment, but haven't seen the results YET.  It will be it's 140th year :o, still had a successful weed at 120 years. :angry:   This experiment helped swing me to the no-till side for some odd reason.  ;)

https://msutoday.msu...ning-knowledge/

Larry

#6 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

I hope its just cockle bur, its just looked different for some reason.  I'm going to hit it with some crossbow and see what happens.  This stuff is taking over.  I appreciate the feedback.  I'll let you all know what i come up with.

Thanks

Derek 

• Vol likes this

#7 Hayman1

Hayman1

Gourmet Horse Hay Producer

• Members
  • 2562 posts
  • LocationMillwood VA

Posted 29 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

It appears to be Asian Velvetleaf. It is extremely persistent and supposedly the seedbank can remain viable for 50 years. I have not dealt with it yet but have seen it here.  I have read that glyphosate will kill it(spot spray) . I believe i would get something that is pretty stout(Grazonext etc.) and spot spray and see what kind of results you get. Does your plant have a yellow flower?

Regards, Mike

I have spot sprayed it with something effectively.  At the time I was using grazon, cimmaron max, crossbow and chaparral.  Had to be one of the four.

• Vol likes this

#8 cjsr8595

cjsr8595

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 06:02 PM

I had some pasture pro no crossbow and I was impatient, so mixed it up and hit a few of these things with it.  This is the result.  They look like they are going down.  

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

× Sponsors